Good first site?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Ian Pattison

Good first site?

Post by Ian Pattison »

Hi all.

Finished my Paragliding CP out in Spain in April. Not done any flying since then and getting my first wing and harness this week.

Which sites are recommended for someone as new (and rusty) as me ?! I would like to fly this weekend if possible as the forecast seems OK, though looks Southerly ?

I'm only going to fly a site once I've spoken with someone with site knowledge.

Thanks
simon
Mingling

Post by simon »

could try model/carlton on sat, there north yorks sites and there will be loads of people with good site knowledge about. feel free to give me a call on 07831100052 if you want a heads up on the morning. simon :)
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Hi, model is always crowded if it's flyable, take care if you go there. Possibly the best option is East hill which will come on in the afternoon if it' southerly. Feel free to call anytime.
mobi on website. Can't remember it
cheers
brian
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
GlennP
Regular

First Flight post CP

Post by GlennP »

East Hill is a LOOOOOOONG way from where Ian says he's based. A 3hr drive (easily) from Leeds city centre. Personally I wouldn't drive from Leeds to East Hill when there are plenty of sites in the North Yorks/Dales/Cumbria in easier reach. Ian you'll soon get pissed off with this sport if you drive for hours and don't fly. The Cheviots don't have loads of pilots for a weather check unlike Model/Dales/Lakes and CrossFell.

Speaking as a new pilot aswell I would say do some major ground handling and then some short hops with your new wing and harness first before going anywhere near a big hill in the summer. This is especially important as you sound like you've not done any flying since April. You WILL be rusty but maybe you are a skygod in the making in which case i'll shut up.

Again speaking as a new pilot myself, standing on the top of a hill with a couple of instructors doing all the site/risk assessment for you is a world away from standing on the top of an unfamiliar hill on your tod with a new toy and having to use your own (minimal) experience.

I am moving back down to Leeds (North Leeds area Pudsey/Yeadon etc) in the middle of August. If you want to meet up for a bit of groundhandling practice let me know.
You are only as good as your last flight........
GlennP
Regular

Coaching

Post by GlennP »

Could I also recommend the Club Coaching scheme to you.

All our lot are based in the North East so may be out of your way a bit.

Click on Club Caoching link at top of the web page.

Oh yes and remember shy bairns get nowt in this sport.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Hi Ian,

Model ridge in N Yorks does potentially look like it will be a good place to be this weekend, but as Brian has said it tends to be very busy.

Look at our club coaches section, and by all means give me a ring - 07954348828
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Ian Pattison

Post by Ian Pattison »

Thanks for the advice guys. You're a helpful bunch !

Got my wing delivered today (Gin Bolero 3). I wonder how long it will stay this crispy :D

I'll keep an eye on the weather and maybe contact one of you on Saturday for advice on where is flyable. To be honest I'll be happy with just laying my glider out, checking it over, doing some ground handling and maybe a couple of short top to bottoms.

I live in Leeds, but my parents live near Durham whom I visit from time to time, hence looking for NHPC sites.

Thanks !

Ian
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Aye, sorry I didn't see your location, I posted on my iphone on the way to base above xfell :lol:
Not really Mr, I was walking to take off!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
GlennP
Regular

groundhandling

Post by GlennP »

Hi Ian,

It still takes just as long to get to Wooler as it does to get to Keswick from Durham. Take a look at the site guide link on the top of each web page. Hit browse sites and you find loads of info. Keep your options open and take a look at the NYSC/CSC/Pennine and Dales sites aswell.

If you've only just got a harness and a wing I'd do a test hang in your garage or in the shop you bought it from to make sure the harness is set up right for you. A second knowledgeable person ie an experienced pilot or dealer can help you out. If you got your kit from a good shop they should have made sure all that was done so it might not need doing.

Taking to the air with a harness that 's not right is at best uncomfortable but could possibly be dangerous. You'll also be able to make some adjustments so that you are sat upright enough, adjust the speedbar connections and check that your reserve handle is easy to reach and practice going for the handle with gloves on with both hands.

I think you've got the right idea doing some ground handling especially if the wing/harness is different to the one you did your CP with.

All the best and enjoy your flying.
GlennP
Regular

East Hill

Post by GlennP »

Aye Brian I believe you.

You just want the hills to yerself by putting the poor bloke off sending him to East Hill from Leeds. :o

He'll go there never getting above the top and pack it in paragliding thinking he's not up to it coz he cant get up above the hill.

:wink:
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

East Hill is a very good hill, you've just got to know how to fly it and in what conditions
It's only a take off point!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Re: Good first site?

Post by Fingers »

Ian Pattison wrote:Hi all.

Finished my Paragliding CP out in Spain in April. Not done any flying since then and getting my first wing and harness this week.

Which sites are recommended for someone as new (and rusty) as me ?! I would like to fly this weekend if possible as the forecast seems OK, though looks Southerly ?

I'm only going to fly a site once I've spoken with someone with site knowledge.

Thanks
You might be well advised to hook up with your local school, Northern in the dales? One day out with the school might be worth the money. If you bought your kit from there they might take you out free.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
GlennP
Regular

east hill

Post by GlennP »

Who might you be quoting there Brian...........

:P
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Who might you be quoting there Brian...........
Anyone that said it!
But in particular, Mr Cheviot, Happy Flips himself!
But true of any hill. :wink:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Hello Ian

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Ian, congrats on getting you C.P. if you have not flown for a while & using new equipment you need to find a small site (350ft top to bottom) uncrowded, lots of space & a huge landing field, time for some fun..

East hill will be the perfect place to get you going again, give me a ring anytime.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

The most important thing is to try an hook up with an experienced pilot - club coaches are a good start. Most hills are suitable given the right conditions but there are some I wouldn't rush to. What you really need is some reassurance and experience so choose one of these

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/coaching.php

and pick up the phone. I'm not much help in Edinburgh but if your up this way give me a bell. Good luck and get stuck in and enjoy your new sport :)

Ian
Main: 07545 865897
Spare: 07792 668556

PS the Cumbria Club used to do excellent coaching weekends I don't know if they still do?