what a day for the northumbrians

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

what a day for the northumbrians

Post by gary stenhouse »

well after a nice walk up jenkin and a lot of moaning from sreve we finaly got ther to wind a nice thermic dynamic wind blowing and some big clouds. but not to big for neil and andy no hesitation straight off to make goal, although there were alot of big ears going on at the time. i left 45 mins to see if things calmed down and after the odd red ribbon whent off i thought it was time. was very strong head wind at first but i think i manage goal turnpoint. although it was like a washing machine at dodd as i think the sea breaze had caught up.time to turn and run and it was off the hill now compltely so no lift, so pushed out and finally got something at suiter but did not manage cloud base as it broke up over the top. made a run for it in hope for more but only got a few blipps and ended up with a lovely gusty landing , all hale the golden. then it was of to bewaldeth for more flying and a nice houre of thermic dynamic flying.

what a great day had by all 5 days flying in 8 can't be bad for first week
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Good to hear you are enjoying the wing!

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Good to hear you are enjoying the wing - I am sure you will be taking it easy though i see a couple of xc's have already been logged.
Keep it safe
Kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Sunday dawned bright and beautiful...

Well actually it did not.... my alarm went of at 7am, and I woke to the sound of rain, and the sight of grey and claggy skies.

If it had not been for the Comp, I would have turned over and gone back to sleep. As it was I crawled out of bed, made my butties and set of for Junction 40 on the M6..(actually it was juntion 37.... only one of our team followed the instructions to the letter and spent a happy half hour looking for a little chef in the middle of nowhere....)

10:15 arrived at the Little Chef at Pentrith... no one else there! Had we won the comp by just turning up???

No... Ed Cleasby and Andy Plimmer from Cumbria club turned up a few minutes late. After 30 minutes or so, and a cup of coffee dragged most unwillingly from the grasp of the little chef, Ed made the decision to go to Jenkin... to the loud groans of all competitors.

I was all for going to Cross Fell... John Wallis was there as our "eye in the sky" and it looked promising....

But Ed was right...

After a good walk up Jenkin ( this is doing me good... this is doing me good... this is doing me good... the mantra I was chanting as I struggled up...) we briefed on the fell side. Turn point over the Dodd, then open distance.

Someone from North Yorks was first of.... then Neil, a few others, and then myself. The wind was well of to the west, and with a ground speed of about 8k towards Dodd, it was an interesting ride.

Look at the tracklogs.... I was way out in front of the hill, but still going up... sometimes on full bar, but still 2m/s climb. Others were way closer to the top of skiddaw.... big ears in, and disappearing into wisps of cloud.

After what seemed like an age I eventually made the turn point, and the LUXURY of turning and running down wind. Passing over the people still on t/o at about 1000ft. Over the gap onto Blease ( pushing out in front to avoid the potential of being sucked up the gulley...)

By this time the wind seemed to be blowing along the Blencathra range, rather than up it.
I reached the end and started to soar the backside of the tip of Souter. Fairly low, and bloody rough. When the wing started dancing its own tune about 50ft above the ground I decided to cut and run... a glide out over the valley in the hope of getting something. But nothing was there...

I landed at the Mungrisdale junction, as did Brian and Neil.

Ron Don, Kay and Gary flew over us for a few more KM

A cracking day all in all.... But for the comp I probably would not have gone out....

Still awaiting the results, but hopefully we were there or thereabouts.

Many thanks to Ron, Neil, Gary Kay and Brian for having the tenacity to turn out on what looked a crap day.....

See you in Wales for the final!!!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Team NHPC are still leading after the weekend.

http://www.flybcc.co.uk/show_results.as ... eason=2007

Thanks to Ed Cleasby for the link.

From the eye in the sky that got absolutely pissed on while sitting on High Cap.

Good call by Ed and good flying by the NHPC Heros
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

AlastairW wrote:Many thanks to Ron, Neil, Gary Kay and Brian for having the tenacity to turn out on what looked a crap day
No one else turn up?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.