Lambing Dates

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

geoff.davison
Mingling

Lambing Dates

Post by geoff.davison »

Are the lambing dates on the forum anywhere? Don't want to upset any farmers!

Thanks.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Hi Geoff

Not sure if your a member or not, if you are I can give you members permission to the forum which open up the private forum.

As for the lambing dates your best to contact one of our Club Coaches http://www.nhpc.org.uk/coaching.php

Thay will point you in the right direction and may even give you some company on the hill.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
geoff.davison
Mingling

lambing dates

Post by geoff.davison »

Thanks for that,

I am a lapsed member I am afraid so no access to the private part of the forum.

Is it something the club have intentionally done to keep the dates off the public forum? If so I don't undersatnd why. Cumbria have everything open on the web and have few problems (trust me you don't want to upset Gordie!)

Rest assured I will contact one of the club contacts before flying any sites but IMHO it would be better to make the lambing dates public.

Regards,

Geoff
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

A agree with you Geoff.

However this is a can of worms that the powers to be have not yet come to close.

I have no doubt your posting will go some way to closing the issue at the next club meet.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Anonymous

lambing

Post by Anonymous »

Hi geoff i think its a shame they dont have them listed. not everyone, club members included wants to fanny around finding out that info. it should be made freely available.
geoff.davison
Mingling

lambing dates

Post by geoff.davison »

Obviously club members do the honourable leg work of going round different landowners discussing dates so I can understand paid up club members thinking why should we let others know.

On the other hand you can't force pepole to join a club and I don't think it's possible to enforce a members only rule on sites so it is possibe that a non member either intentionally or otherwise upsets a landowner due to lack of availibility of lambing dates/site rules etc. This could create problems for all pilots members or not.

Regards,

Geoff
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Club members

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Geoff, are you a current member of another club ? do you have BHPA flying membership ? all pilots from other clubs are welcome to visit anytime but if it becomes regular visits you should support the club by joining this is the same for the Cumbrian club.

Visiting pilot must fly with a current NHPC member for obvious reasons...
site rules, access, and your qualifications.

All of our sites have ageements with the farmers, we must be third party insured and qualified. I

If we publish site guides, lambing dates, ect, ect, how do we check out the good wishes of our farmers and land owners when people just turn up and fly ? I does happen from time to time and its a sure way of losing a site, I know you can't completely stop this sort of situation from happening but we can try to control it as much as we can.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
geoff.davison
Mingling

lambing dates

Post by geoff.davison »

Hello Ron,

As I mentioned above I am no longer a member of the NHPC. After qualifying three years ago I joined NYSWC, NHPC and CSC. As I try to do most of my flying in the lakes I have let the other two memberships lapse but still on occasion fly here in the north east.

Obviously it's a decision for the club to decide about how it is run but I don't understand what is different about Northumbria in comparison to CSC? I agree you cannot stop pilots intent on flying from doing so. I also think that this is the case no matter what you publish. There are a small number of irresponsible pilots who will fly wether you publish full sites guides/lambing dates or not. There are also a number of pilots who do not wish to join but this shouldn't stop them from flying and it doesn't mean they automatically belong to the irresponsible group.

After all this I feel like a bit of a tight git. I should just pay the £15 and shut up! :))
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

No geoff, I think you've went about it in a very responsible way, you asked, and you've got the lambing dates. You dont have to be a member to fly our sites as long as you are a responsible individual as I think you are, but as Ronnie say's, if you are going to fly here on a regular basis then you may think about joining our fantastic club.
:D
geoff.davison
Mingling

lambing dates

Post by geoff.davison »

thanks John
Anonymous

regular

Post by Anonymous »

A pilot only has to fly once durin lambing to jepoardise a site, so frequent or regular means nothing. There may be people who flew here before and know the sites that will want the information just to decide if its worth doing the ring around.
maybe there should be a page that simply has the site names and a lable closed or open next to it. simple and effective. just needs to be kept up to date.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Steve

Post by ron freeman »

The lambing dates are upto date and there in the sites info section for all our club members to read.

If a visitor would like to fly they contact he club and arrange to meet somewhere and go and fly simple.

This club has an excellent rapport with our farmers & landowners and its worked well for 33yrs and I can not see a need for change.
Anonymous

dinosaurs

Post by Anonymous »

thats what i expect to hear from a pteryldactyl. no need to change.
ron freeman
Seasoned

there you go

Post by ron freeman »

You can't beat experience... wings, equipment, training techniques are changing all the time, most for the better...I'm all for change if there is a good reason.