Speed flying

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Pete Batey
Chatty

Speed flying

Post by Pete Batey »

http://derbyshiresoaringclub.org.uk/e10 ... c.php?7113

Read Al's post.
Let's be careful now.
Pete
Sometimes you've got to dance when the music's no good.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Just to be clear about the accident Al describes.

Adrian the guy who had the crash had no previous PG experience but came from a sky diving back ground. He choose to start soaring normal (ski launch) speed wings in strong windy conditions on hills in south Wales with his mate Dan (LCC speed flyer) The day of the accident was a very windy and very thermic early season day with very gusty conditions. They were having to fly the wings without much brake due to the conditions. Adam suffered a preditcatble (in the conditions) aysemetric collapse and did not react or counter stear it resulting in the glider turning and diving. With the hill being so close,as often is the case with soaring speed wings he crashed very hard and as you have read nearly killed himself. (His helmet camera vid of the crash is on youtube)

So the moral of the story is as with all free flying there is always an eliment of risk. If you choose to push your boundries or fly wings different types then these risked increase. If you choose to fly in a medium which you have no previous experience in on top of all this then you will probley like Adrian regret your actions.

I personally would not sell any speed wing to anybody with a low level of PG experience and I will only sell them to people who I have spent some time instructing on how these little wings fly.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Speed wings

Post by ron freeman »

For some time now I've been watching and listening to pilots flying 'Speed wings' it seems to me that if you have a strong urge for speed learn to hangglide, much safer, a lot faster therefore a bigger thrill.

There will always be accidents when you mix fresh winds with paragliders & speed wings because of the obvious 'TURBULANCE' and lots of it :twisted:

I would like to fly one though...in the right conditions but not soaring !
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

You are welcome to have a shot on mine anytime Ronnie, you might be converted when you realise just how much fun you can have on these :)
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Thanks Chris

Post by ron freeman »

Thanks Chris, maybe a nice day on East hill !
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)