the fai rule and optimising your triangles

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

the fai rule and optimising your triangles

Post by gary stenhouse »

well with carefull understanding and the help of google i have managed to make a 15.1 k fai triangle with a x2 multiplier on the nxl.

it may be a load of bolocks to some but when you start doing them it is not as easy as you think to manage to make the 28% rule but easy to work out once ou now how
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes what i forgot to post is that as easy as what people think an fai is.
it took me over 300 hours to do a 15k tiangle yet it took 60 to do a 18 open distance. so there not as easy as one might think, but very rewarding
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

Hi Gary,

gpsdump does FAI triangles for you - menues vary between the versions but you should be able to find it. Select all the track points, then press "Flight data" button or, from top menu, "Misc" -> "OLC statistics"

Sergey
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

GPS Dump has a go at doing the FAI triangle but you do have to check carefully what you are getting. It often makes a mess of the 'gap' as does the analysis stuff on the Leonardo thingy. As Gary says time and effort on Google earth can optomise things in your favour if you need to 'create' an extra km or two...........
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

Every time I tried, GPS dump did the same or a 70m better than I did manually.
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

It works sometimes but it is often worth 'trimming' the tracklog before and after the start / finish points you want to use before submitting them to GPSDump. It seems to get confused when tracklogs cross inside your proposed triangle. Under the current rules the 'gap' at the start/finish can be upto 400m, I assume that is the part Gary made the best of.