Club holiday 2016

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Deposit paid for both Moira and I.
Ref NHPCITYBRMR
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

NHPC Italy was a great little holiday in many different ways but unfortunately it's fair to say the weather wasn't on our side. Huge areas of low pressure in a high altitude mountain range with low cloud base meant we were clagged in, chasing the wind or sitting it out lots of the time but we all still managed a few canny flights. Up to 5 flights in 6 days from 4 different sites (at a time we would not have been flying at home). The potential for some big flying in beautiful Abruzzo is clear to see - we were just unlucky with the weather.

Wherever we went it seemed there was a big, over-developed cauliflower cloud hanging over us but in the face of such adversity us northerners are made of sterner stuff and we managed our frustrations well with calm patience and a big sense of humour.

Lee and Akis shared all their knowledge with infectious enthusiasm and I know they were buzzing off us too! It was great for so many lower air time / recreational club members to get together, set our own agenda share our strengths and weaknesses and hopes and aspirations for future development. Although we didn't do as much flying as we would have liked I'm sure we all learned lots and had an interesting broader paragliding experience! Groundhandling, a couple of really interesting weather and xc lectures but in terms of flying the first afternoon flight at Madonnina di Serra Bacheca where those punchy low level thermals kept us all on our toes making for an "interesting" little flight which we all handled well - followed of course by that much more enjoyable restitution flight - gliding around into a beautiful Italian sunset to finish the day off.

We visited some interesting little towns and villages here and there. In particular the impact of the earthquake in L'aquila was an eye opener. On Thursday 3 went to Rome for the day and the rest of us gave the Cugnoli locals a good run for their money at table football.

Every night we enjoyed some lovely Italian cuisine washed down by lashings and lashings of Peroni and local vino. The one night that stands out though was Tuesday. With the forecast poor for Wednesday - we played Met Roulette with a barrel of local vino - partying up until 1.30am with some crazy shenanigans - only to find we were up early and did 3 flights the next day!

But best of all was the 24/7 great craic and banter! We had a top laugh and I hope we can do it again sometime!

Crazy to think though that the day after we got back 3 of us (Helen, Eddie and me. - with John W, Gordon and Anth there too) were out again in our t-shirts and shorts on East Hill bobbing around in Mediterranean warmth for a couple of hours. Funny old game

:D
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Brian Nellist
Chatty

Post by Brian Nellist »

Great write up Greame,not much flying but lots of fun to be had.
Good old east hill :wink:
Cheers.
Brian. 075403610ninenine

Aka the caretaker

Always keep your feet firmly on the ground, even when your heads in the air.
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Great write up Graeme.
As with all things paragliding, it had its ups and downs :wink: but as you said, we cracked on & enjoyed ourselves!
Looking forward to the next trip already 8)
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Aye

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Aye a mixed week but good crack and I was converted while out there to red wine and way to much coffee to be healthy, I could certainly adjust to the coffee shop way of life, no tourists seen all week and the locals made us feel really welcome, roll on the next one, cheers to Graeme for putting it all together and to Akis Lee and Fiona for sharing their Knowledge and Hospitality.

Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
derek.mills
Chatty

Post by derek.mills »

Im confused now... Roughly what is the all up cost? flights, tx, acc, food, guide, retrieve etc. ??

Ive nearly got my totaly uninterested girlfriend talked round!

Times no issue for me, but im a kept man and she needs to know the cost
The lonely flier...join me 07817 625616
Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Cost

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Ball park figures only
Hol £660,
Flights £250
Spends on food evening meals etc £200
Only vague figures but a grand or there snouts