Club holiday 2016

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

28th may

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

28th may suits me too.

Cheers

Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Suits me too...well, I'm sure it'll be fine for me to get the time off somehow but I won't get my shift rota until December.
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

I agree my paragraph above re costs could be more clear. So before we book anything just clarify

Flights (NCL to Rome)
Plus
Spends (food and drink etc I need to find out if there is self catering, house catering etc)
Plus
£510 - airport and daily transport (retrieves, days out etc), accommodation, in flight xc guiding, low air time supervision etc and hospitality etc.

Because we are a group of 6 or more we get a discount from £595 to £510 (£85). To qualify this every trip I've been on by myself over the past couple of years with Lee has been £595.

Flying twice a day everyday is always Lees key objective even getting a flight in on first day of arrival. It's an oven ready paragliding holiday maximising airtime which for me counts as value for money.

If this is still ok I'll book 28th May > 4th June and ask them to upload more details on their website.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Just trying to confirm 2 others. Can you hold off?
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

No probs Brian - the more the merrier. I won't book anything until everyone has the opportunity to double check. Plenty of time.

The only thing we need to consider is getting booked up before lee uploads his available dates in Italy online - to fit us all in in one week we need to secure our dates before other lone pilots, smaller groups etc start filling spaces before we do.

I'll ask Lee to share his contact details so everyone can have their own comms with him and ask him any questions I may have missed.

Angus and Colin know Lee too but to check them out now Google Free Flight Academy.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Hi Graeme, I can confirm Ged Nolan from the borders is coming.
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Me and Helen are good for the 28th May.
andrew-billington
Mingling
Full Name: Andrew John Billington

Could be interested

Post by andrew-billington »

Will float the idea wife my better half.
Its better to burn out than it is to rust!
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Quick update - Lee and Fiona are currentlly in Olu Deniz for a fortnight doing two SIV courses - but we managed to Skype last night and I've told them our preferred dates and potential numbers.

They will be back in touch later this week with details and further advice.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Dear All

Before we commit to and confirm this holiday I suggest you check flight prices from Newastle to Rome return on Sunday 29th May to Sunday 5th June 2016 - Jet2.com

Unbeknown to me at the time we have chosen a bank holiday weekend to depart so prices are a little more than I expected. I'm ok paying a little extra for bank holiday flights but please can you confirm one way or the other asap.

I'm advised the accommodation will be top notch and is perfect for couples and single rooms. There is space for 2 or 3 more. The house will be available to view online in a couple of weeks once Lee and Fiona have signed their agreement in situ with the owner.

However one point to note is if we want to change our dates I'm also advised we may not be able to as Lee's overall plans for next year have alerted slightly due to circumstances out of their control and bookings for other weeks are already coming in.

I really hope we can continue as planned because it looks a fantastic place to fly - but if we need to change dates the holiday may need to be somewhere else.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
AngusB
Regular

Post by AngusB »

My enquiry for 1 has just come up as £402 there & back but there's an option for 10 or more...will we hit that if we're all in Graeme? Might bring the price down a little...
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

£402!!!

Mine came back at £352 from Newcastle and £326 from Leeds Bradford

I've submitted a request for a quote to Jet2 for a block booking but they will sending it by email which I await.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Eddie Davis
Chatty

Post by Eddie Davis »

Been looking at Edreams on the web. Flight with Ryanair from Edinburgh to Rome (ciampino) 29th May-5th June £150 return. Baggage 15k £33 return 20k £51 return. Wouldn't be too expensive to travel up to Edinburgh in shared cars and a weeks airport parking. However the price will go up as time goes on. Have a look and see what u think.
Eddie Davis
Chatty

Post by Eddie Davis »

long stay parking at Edinburgh is bookable 7 days £40. If 10 pilots go we could use 2 cars and a van. 4 to a car =8+ 2 in van carrying all the wings.
3x£40=£120 for parking. Fuel 3x£50=£150. Total £270 ~ 10 = £27 each to get to and from the airport. These are just my thoughts so don't hang me if I have had a senior moment. Fuel cost could change depending on a meeting point. Please read the small print. The author is not responsible for any errors :P
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Eddie Davis wrote:Been looking at Edreams on the web. Flight with Ryanair from Edinburgh to Rome (ciampino) 29th May-5th June £150 return. Baggage 15k £33 return 20k £51 return. Wouldn't be too expensive to travel up to Edinburgh in shared cars and a weeks airport parking. However the price will go up as time goes on. Have a look and see what u think.
Nice one Eddie! I agree this looks like a very viable option indeed. I haven't checked the details / small print myself but assuming this is the case £250 return including 20kg for gliders as hold luggage is a bargain - compared to Jet2 have come back for a group booking of 10 with £364pp :o (and I'm not sure if luggage is included in that) - as we discussed Newcastle airport's notoriety for high prices is clearly there to see. Travelling to Edinburgh isn't the end of the world and I'm sure one way or another we can find the least expensive solution of getting there and back over the coming months.

As you state the key to securing the Edinburgh flights at the rates quoted is to get our skates on. If those still wishing to go can reconfirm and state if we should book flights as a group or individually that would be a great start. If the preference is for a group booking I'm prepared to pay in full and you transfer your cost into my account.

once we have booked flights Lee will be reassured we are definitely coming and we can sort out payment with free flight academy in the future.

Can all interested please advise by Sunday evening if the prices quoted by Eddie for return flights from EDINBURGH to ROME are ok and we can take it from there!

Cheers Eddie! Great bit of research!
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

We can go with any option.
Graeme Gilroy
Regular

Hols

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

I'm still in at those prices, group booking sounds a sensible way to go, I can get 5 to Edinburgh Waverly for free and I reckon the other 5 for about £20 return so if we split that cost 10 ways it's a tenner each, ye can't get vexed at that and no airport parking charges.
Let me know what you think
Cheers
Graeme
Graeme Gilroy
Regular

Hols

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

This would obviously depend on what time the flights are out of Edinburgh.

Cheers
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

FINAL PRICE
£ 133.85
Breakdown
S DEPARTURE
Sun, 29-May-16 Ryanair
Edinburgh (EDI) 06:25
Rome (CIA) 10:30
0 stop
T RETURN
Sun, 5-Jun-16 Ryanair
Rome (CIA) 10:55
Edinburgh (EDI) 13:15
0 stop
1 Passenger
So £185.02 with 20kg baggage.

That's a great offer Graeme - thank you. But looking at the departure flight it might be a tadge early to take advantage of it :( ?

But on the bright side it means we will have time for a flight on the first day and plenty of time to get back home on 5th June.

If this flight is acceptable to all I'm ok to Make a group booking then be paid back by bank transfer. In order to book them I'll need everyone's full name, DoB and PP number. Best send these by text or pm My number is 07879215524. Or of course book your own flight and job done.

So far we have
Graeme S
Graeme G
Brian & Moira
Ged
Eddie & Helen
Mehdi

Waiting on Angus (on holiday)

Andrew B?
Last edited by Graeme on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Hi Graeme,
I assume there will be an allowance for hand luggage as most of 20kg will go on the glider or are you adding extra luggage when booking?
My details text to you.
Well done for organising this.
Live life like you mean it.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Mehdi wrote:Hi Graeme,
I assume there will be an allowance for hand luggage as most of 20kg will go on the glider or are you adding extra luggage when booking?
My details text to you.
Well done for organising this.
Yes hand luggage is allowed - but I need to check max weight.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

This is the last call for passengers on flight number NHPC9 from Edinburgh to Rome 29.5.16>5.6.16.

To secure the best flight prices asap I'll book flights tomorrow morning Sunday 13th sept for those that have already sent details or are sending them later today or tomorrow.

Many thanks to everyone for their help and input.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Ok all Ryanair are doing my head in already :D

If I search for a single price return flight its £133 (without baggage) and £185 with 20 kg hold luggage.

If I search for 2 adults its £150 each with baggage extra (so that explains the difference Eddie)

If I search for 9 adults it's an incredible increase to £187 each!!! - with baggage extra :(

On this basis it's a no brainer - my suggestion is we each book our own individual flights. Or as couples if you want to sit next to each other. Please advise what you prefer to do. The sooner the better as I imagine as soon as places start filling up prices will go up too.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

You will need these codes for doing your check-in and for managing any enquiries related to your flight.
Departure
From Edinburgh (EDI) to Rome (CIA), with Ryanair RW52NG Confirmed
Return
From Rome (CIA) to Edinburgh (EDI), with Ryanair UKDYFC Confirmed

Ok I've booked my flight. I don't want to put people off but my online experience with Ryanair had a couple of glitches so warned. ie it would not accept my debit card security code so I booked through PayPal instead - for £5 extra. I'm also hearing prices have already began to go up so be quick.

It's also worth noting - with 20kg hold luggage the price quoted was £185.05 return. But just as I was about to confirm booking they are also charging £12.29 each way service charge. Therefore my total price is £213 return.

That said its still a much better deal than the Newcastle airport price of £402 return. And at the end of the day £106 each way to Italy and back in 3hrs is still a wonder of modern times :D
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme Gilroy
Regular

Booked

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

That's me booked , price around the same as Graeme's , got my leg straps packed already lol.

Graeme
AngusB
Regular

Post by AngusB »

That's me booked up too, £217.98 including 20kg baggage...much better on the wallet than the £402 from Newcastle.

Cheers to Graeme Stephenson for sorting the trip out & Graeme Gilroy for sorting train from Newcastle to Edinburgh out, very much appreciated!

Bring on the holiday, can't wait!
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Eddie Davis
Chatty

Post by Eddie Davis »

Me and Helen booked flights in the end with Ryanair direct. Didn't like Edreams slapping on service charges at the end. My head was scrambled trying to sort this but ended up booked £208 each :???:

To Rome (Ciampino) : FR6681

DEPART: Edinburgh (EDI)
DATE: Sun 29 May 2016
TIME: 06:25

ARRIVAL: Rome (Ciampino) (CIA)
DATE: Sun 29 May 2016
TIME: 10:30

From Rome (Ciampino) : FR6682

DEPART: Rome (Ciampino) (CIA)
DATE: Sun 05 Jun 2016
TIME: 10:55

ARRIVAL: Edinburgh (EDI)
DATE: Sun 05 Jun 2016
TIME: 13:15
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Booked up through Skyscanner with different baggage prices from edreams.
Paid £221.93 with 15Kg baggage and 10kg hand luggage.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

http://freeflightacademy.com/events/italy-abruzzo-2015/

Link to advert for Abruzzo with our week badged as "sold out" but to formally confirm we will need to pay a £150 deposit each sometime soon to secure our discount.

Lee and Fiona are going there in next couple of weeks and will be finalising their agreement for next years new accommodation before posting pics up with details about self catering, local amenities etc.

They've reassured me its top notch with single and double rooms and there is still a spare place or two for anyone that fancies coming along at a later date.

Watch this space for updates.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Hi Graeme
Can you PM me your account details so that I can pay you the £150 deposit.
cheers