Club holiday 2016

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme
Chatty

Club holiday 2016

Post by Graeme »

Is anyone up for a reasonably cheap and cheerful club holiday sometime next year?

With return flights and digs to somewhere that suits both intermediate to xc levels and has potential for (as near as damn it) guaranteed flying conditions?
And has options in case of non-flyable days.

Where?
Algo
Ager
Bassano
Lasagne (week before the comp)
Annecy
Croatia

When?
Late Spring
Early Summer
Early Autumn
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

I,m interested.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

great idea im up for it but cant commit until I know what my holidays are next year
I HATE COMPUTERS
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

I will bring Moira.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Ged Nolan and partner.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Yes a good idea Depending on the powers that be.
Last edited by RonDon on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Sounds great, you're the man Graeme... you must have had more holidays than most seasoned XC'ers :lol:
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Well I don't know about that Angus but I do enjoy my jaunts abroad. It's the only way I get some midweek flying in 😃

There seems to be some interest so need to begin planning ahead and firm up where and when?

Decisions, decisions.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Because it was your idea Graeme Confucius says you are the leader so suggest somewhere and that will begin the discussion.
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

Cheers Graeme add my name to the interested list,

livetrack24 GordonC
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Well I suppose I might as well mention the place where there has been multiple hang gliding holidays with the NHPC a close second to Laragna (Spelling) and it's name is Mount Lachens in the Alps Maritime provence.

I've been there loads of times both as a flying holiday and a family holiday. This is a very relaxed part of France and it's beautiful. Lachens used to be a big part of the hang gliding comp calendar but is now mainly paragliding with zero ques and zero tandems as far as I know.

The main face is a south easterly and after a lazy start to the day the sailplanes come in from Nice? on the sea breeze front that's our time to take off. The mountain takes all directions it has an excellent camp site at the bottom and there are Gites in the village too. Close to the site is Castellane and the Gorges Du Verdon which are the most wonderful places. Plus the med is only 1.5 hours away in Nice.

It's a long drive or a short flight but a fabulous place. I don't know how it rates with the more recent places but I thought I would mention it as many paraglider pilots now would say "Mt Lachens" Where's that? Google Mount Lachens and the village of La Bastide which lies at the foot of it.

You may be interested I thought it was worth a mention

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Thank you Gary, my mouth is watering thanks to your description. You obviously love it and that comes across....
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

berow wrote:Thank you Gary, my mouth is watering thanks to your description. You obviously love it and that comes across....
You mean John
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

LOL Thanks Colin :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Oops sorry Harry!!
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

what about Millau? I really like it there, cheap flights from stanstead, sites for all wind directions within ten mins from the town if its windy alternative activites kayacking via ferata and other stuff like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfU5Y9OXtQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNe0IaBGIig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQc5QgH4Ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswBaq7-ccQ

one of the problems I find with the likes of annecy and laragne apart from there overpopularity is that it can take an hour or more to get to takeoff whereas in Millau the hills aren't quote big mountains but more like lake district size and you can get to take off much quicker and easier

wherever you decide hope I can make it
I HATE COMPUTERS
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Fred - that sounds a good shout.

I've been doing a little research myself and will soon bring another option to the table in Italy half an hour or so from Rome.

With
- dates available and prices
- local knowledge for a few sites in surrounding area but the main one has a landing field at the back of the accommodation
- xc guidance if needed plus supervision for low air time if required
- Transport to and from airport and everyday use.
- rural accommodation
- with options for other activities if there is a no fly day.

I suppose if we have a couple of firmed up options to choose from it would make it easier to vote for a favourite.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Hi Graeme,

If it's Norma your thinking of that used to be my local site. It's a fantastic place to fly autumn or early spring from February onwards. Great flying for all levels and only a walk from B&B's to take off.
It's probably an hour from the eternal city but the list of places to visit is endless if the weathers not up to flying(especially if you have even the slightest interest in history!).

Some great videos online of the flying there. Give me a buzz if you want to know more.
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Me and Helen interested.
AngusB
Regular

Post by AngusB »

Definitely interested & looking forward to hearing where is chosen...sounds like a few people could set up a few different options & for those with the money & time off it could be a cracking year!
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Andrew Maltby wrote:Hi Graeme,

If it's Norma your thinking of that used to be my local site. It's a fantastic place to fly autumn or early spring from February onwards. Great flying for all levels and only a walk from B&B's to take off.
It's probably an hour from the eternal city but the list of places to visit is endless if the weathers not up to flying(especially if you have even the slightest interest in history!).

Some great videos online of the flying there. Give me a buzz if you want to know more.
It's not Norma Andrew - the place I'm suggesting is a couple of hours from there - but Norma isn't out of reach and could be a trip out one day.

I,m just waiting on full spec and price and availability dates then will upload on here for consideration.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Ok - more detail for an option in Italy. Abuzzo region 2hrs north of Rome. Nearest big town on the coast looks nice - Pescaro. Highest launch is Monet Christo 3000ft in the Calacio Valley , Gran Sasso mountain range - with lots of other options. Good place for all levels - from xc to lower air time. Plenty big easy green and grassy landing options

Jet2 fly from Newcastle to Rome.

Then transport to and from the airport with daily transport, retrieves and trips out etc included in holiday price. Lee Tryhorn and Akis Atis (who speaks 4 languages plus Geordie) are fully qualified Instructor / xc guides with full local knowledge and lots of experience of the area for paragliding a socially. Fiona and A.N. other provide broader support and services - driving etc.

Accommodation is good quality, rural , single and double rooms with nearby cheap B&B if there is overspill.

Cost of flights and spends plus - for 6 or more pilots - £510 each. If more than 7 go unfortunately Lee can't go any lower than this price as they'd need to hire another car / van, fuel, beds etc. Less than 6 could be £595 but hopefully we can get a least 6 of us on a club holiday :)

Dates available.
1. 23rd April - 30th April
2. 30th April - 7th May
3. 7th May - 14th May
4. 28th May - 4th June
5. 4th - June - 11th June
6. 11th June - 18th June
7. 18th - 25th June
8. 25th June - 2nd July
9. 3rd September - 10th September
10. 10th September - 17th September
11. 17thSeptember - 24th September
12. 24th September - 1st October

I appreciate this might not be everyone's cup of tea but in my experience paying for a well organised paragliding holiday offers good value for money - maximising flying time and getting the most out of my precious time off work - in warm, sunny Mediterranean conditions
Ive been on 3 trips away with Lee and Akis including an SIV and can vouch for their commitment to ensuring pilots of all levels have a safe and enjoyable paragliding holiday but with plenty of time for relaxation and fun as required.

Can't say I've been flying here before but it looks a canny option and have heard some good reports from pilots who have been. So I'll probably be popping over there sometime next year anyway. It would be even better if a few of us could get together and make a club holiday out of it.

8)
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Good research and completely agree with your comments. Moira and I are in. I will speak to her and firm up preferred dates.
Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Italy

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

I'd be up for it but I'm limited when I can take my hols ( I don't get to pick my weeks but swaps are often available) so would need a date so I can start planning the time off.
Cheers
Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Well that makes 3 so far Brian which is a great start :)

I'm not sure but I believe a block booking is the best way to do this as Lee's clientelle tend to travel in 2s and 3s or like me on their own adding up to 7 or 8 per trip.

So in order to get us all In the same place at the same time we'll need to pick a week and fill that up with an nhpc posse before anyone else books it.

I'm easy with dates and will go with the flow but my preference would be either a week in May or June.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Sounds good Graeme. Me and Helen would like to go. We are flexible with dates and can fit in with others. :D
AngusB
Regular

Post by AngusB »

Count me in too, credit cards are great for this kinda thing & I'm sure Alison will understand...
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

With 6 it looks like we have enough for a discount which is a bonus! I suppose the next step is to agree a date and book that week.

The more the merrier - there's still space for 3 or 4 more so if anyone wants to add their name at a later date you are welcome.

I'll take a shot at suggesting a date 28th May - 4th June.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Great research on the trip and suggestions, Count me in Graeme. 8)
Live life like you mean it.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

That date suits Moira and I.