Record breaking day for the lads ???

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Record breaking day for the lads ???

Post by John Wallis »

Sounds like they've had an amazing time at Eyam Edge today well done lads
:x
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Brian Nellist
Chatty

Post by Brian Nellist »

Have you been in touch !!!
Did they make the coast again ?
Cheers.
Brian. 075403610ninenine

Aka the caretaker

Always keep your feet firmly on the ground, even when your heads in the air.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

All I know is there was a goal set to Filey Gary was second in behind Mike Cav :shock: Brian Day 100 plus Mad Dog possibly 40K don't know anymore cant get in touch they must have there phones off or their battery has run out :o
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes quite an epic day from what seemed could of been a 10 wonder in blue thermals mostly. goal was set at 137k to filey and must say thought it would never happen but the good lord was looking down after 20k my shoulder and wrist were given me gip and thought cant continue at this pace so kept pushing on not worrying if I bombed or not. however then I got adrenalized when I realised this could be a big one and slowed down and worked the week climbs. I scraped into goal after almost a 17k glide to goal with one broken climb for 3 turns to land in the school field next to mike cavanah. amazing day with about another 8 coming into goal
got wrong information john and Graeme did not fly chris got not to sure how far brian 90+k and Lloyd about 20-25k so not a bad day.

I get 183points for the flight today so very happy indeed and chris little proved you can land in city centres as long as theres kids in the park
Brian Nellist
Chatty

Post by Brian Nellist »

Nice one Gary Awesome !!!!!!And great flights
From the rest of the lads in the
happy bus !!!!!!!!! 8)
Cheers.
Brian. 075403610ninenine

Aka the caretaker

Always keep your feet firmly on the ground, even when your heads in the air.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

something I did notice yesterday was having a goal set or waypoint can realy make a difference in keeping your motivation going when it gets slow.
also know there are other pilots still in the air or chasing your tail also keeps you trying hard and not to give up.
one thing yesterday that was evident eyem was not that rough it just gets some strong punchy thermals but nothing that you get on many other hills.

sometimes you are better not watching others too much on take off as it can quite easily freak you out when the conditions are not that bad and after all you will likely be flying the area for long until the adventure begins.

such a shame john did not get off as he would of loved it and there was even hangliders flying with us.
Cathleen rig flew most of the way from Stanage to the coast and really gave good information on thermals whenever she found any good ones. she landed at the coast and gave mike cav and Richard carter lift back to Eyem.

remember we are used as Northumbrians flying small turbulent sites so don't be siked out by reputations and make up your own mind or you could out on something special.

big thanks to the guys on retrieve and Richard Cardwell where I was picked up from Filey to Stokesley 30 minutes after landing so all in all a carling flight or what :D :D :D
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Very nice flight Gary
Mine wasn't quite a Carlsberg flight but it was definitely a Carlsberg landing
I didn't manage to get away with the first two gaggles as I my vario wasn't working and had to land to reset it
I took off again and was at the bottom of a gaggle climbing out over the back that Chris Foster was in I was lot lower and not climbing much so pushed forward and landed a few fields short of take off
I got up again this time with Lloyd and an Ice peak 7 We got a good climb to a bit over 3000 foot I was maintaining in zeros as I watched Lloyd head off toward Stanage edge but couldn't see him climbing so continued drifting along in very weak thermals The ice peak 7 got a climb further away so I moved in that direction and got into something stronger He then shot off no way I could keep up and didn't even try The problem then was finding thermals no clouds to head for no other gliders around to see where the climbs were totally blue sky's by now I was at the top of a climb around 4500 foot but no obvious thermals to go for so I decided to head to Sheffield that I thought must be pushing out some boomers On a glide over the city centre were some very weak climbs and lots of sink I pushed on searching for climbs getting lower and lower and never expecting to go down so wasn't even looking for landings
I then hit big sink and I was now low and realised I wasn't going to glide clear of Sheffiield a bit worry set in when I realised I was going down over the city
The only option was a school field behind a tall school building I'd also now realised the wind was strong and as I set up to land I could see the trees surrounding the field bending over in the gusts There was also a football match going on I headed for the middle of the pitch furthest away from the school and trees and after a bit of a battering and active flying landed in the middle of the field to a big round of applause from players and spectators
I got surrounded by people asking where was the plane I'd jumped from
A true milk tray moment I was then directed to a pub on a main road about 200 yards away where I chilled in the beer garden waiting for retrieve
Very pleasant despite not reaching the goal set for the coast
Next blue day though I'm doing everything I can to get away with a gaggle
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Well done lads, it's good to see the Northumbrian Club mixing it with the big boys.

Respect

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I can spiral dive!!!
The only good lift of the flight came just as we entered airspace. After grovelling along in weak lift for ever a booming thermal hit, smarty tried ears first then a spiral dive, at 4300 I pulled ears and still went up,,,,speed bar,,,,,still up,,,4490,,,, oh shit! Spiral,,,,,keep breathing,,,,keep your eyes open,,,concentrate!!!4300 :-) pull out of the spiral,,,,,there's going to be a surge,,,by the time the surge was over my brain had caught up.
But why was everyone else ignoring it? Either Smarty's and my instruments were showing us to be to far forward?? Or???
Anyway,,,lost the gaggle there and flew the rest of the flight on my own which was very difficult with no clouds and weak lift. Quite frustrating to hear the countdown to 100k and the coast and talk of clouds over the radio.
Huge well done to those that made goal.
And the biggest thanks to Graem for the retrieve. Going to tie a piece of elastic to you soon Graem and drag you away from the hill. :)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Chris a Milk Tray moment brilliant I was nearly caught out like that over Sheffield in my hang glider I could see women hanging washing on the line I really thought the landing would be among the leeks tatties and sweet peas lucky thermal got me up again :)

Brian sounds like you've had another great flight how I wish I'd made the effort :(

Well done lads
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Some of us were working :(
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Well done Gaz, not forgetting all the second place loosers who are all winners in my mind. But in evolutionary terms all the flying ladies would want to have Gary babies.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

what can i say BRILLIANT effort by all must have been a cracking day well done :D :D :D :D
I HATE COMPUTERS