All manner of video's that have been edited and created by the NHPC members

Moderator: Club Moderators

AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

When to throw.

Post by AngusB »

Thought this might be worth discussion.
When to throw, which way to throw to avoid entanglement, how collapsed does your glider need to be before you throw & any others people want to add.

http://youtu.be/TnZqQJj-Au4
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

How can anyone answer that? I have never thrown a reserve but I have been in a situation where I should have. If you need to throw it In anger no matter what anyone says on here there is an element of the unknown. Will it deploy ?I guess there are others with practical experience that can comment. I have been in difficult situations and was always confident the wing would recover. This was helped by having plenty of height so proximity to the ground may prompt different feelings and reactions. Just for the record I have no problems with throwing my reserve but I am intrigued by what would make me do it. I fancy venturing into acro so I guess I will find out....
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

I have thought about this a few times lately when caught up in bad air and without hesitation if I could not recognise the collapse or thought I was out of control I would throw immediately. the thing is it can turn ugly very quick if you don't regain control so the answer should be the second you don't know what is happening throw.

and when you look a complete pilick but sitting on the ground in one piece then you can then wonder what went wrong.

many a pilot should of thrown and did not bother and never got the chance again :D :D :D :D
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Doing the SIV makes you realise what your wing will recover from and yes plenty of reserves get thrown during the SIV course. You generally have plenty of height and time to think. I agree with Brian your height above the deck will accelerate if you decide to deploy or not.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

One of the biggest causes of reserve throws in acro is line twists resulting in the loss of control of the break lines
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

I have been twisted in my risers in a spin and disorientated and I still managed to recover it. I was high with plenty of time. Food for thought.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

In Acro the twist are usually 4 sometimes 5 twists or some of the high energy manoeuvres the wing just keeps twisting till it collapses itself as the twist go virtually up to the canopy
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley