Just dreaming!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

brian day
Regular

Just dreaming!

Post by brian day »

Well what else is there to do on a cold windy winter’s day?
I was thinking back over the tussles I've had with the Cheviots over the last couple of years. There's never been a big flight from them,,,,,,why?
Everyone blames the unique topography, sea breezes, lambing dates etc. But until 2 years ago the same could have been said of the Lakes, big flights that is.
Putting aside all the scepticism, pessimism, excuses, history and errr,,,,,truth about them there hills,,,,,,I think I’ve cracked it!!!!
I’ve had 2 flights that finished after about 30 something Km,,,,no,,,true,,,,,,they’re not big flights,,,,,BUT!!!! Both were done in the late afternoon, with the prospective future route looking,,,,,well,,,,,good!!
So what are the possibilities?
Wind SSW.
Take off needed around Cater Bar, fly towards Hownam, (where my original flight began) and on to North Berwick. 128km
Wind ENE / E even ESE
Take off, Humbleton
Fly along passed the Bell, Newton Tors etc to the back of Coldsmouth, onwards over Kirk Yetholm and towards Jedburgh, (where my flight ended) Hawick, and on to the west coast. Around 200km
Both routes avoid the sink behind the Cheviot massif. The first probably gets easier as the flight progresses as long as you’re aware of the sea breeze at the end, but with the firth of Forth inviting the sea breeze to take that route I don’t think it will be a problem. The second flight will take some courage after Hawick, but that area is well known for good thermal flying.
Something to look forward to next spring, something different, never been done before, you won’t be accused of following the crowd or just flying somewhere that has a reputation of easy flying. Anyone up for it?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Anyone up for it?
Yes I think 2014 is going to produce some good flying possibly from the Cheviots with the help of Hownam. My goal is 100K from anywhere tho any more than that is a bonus :lek: :dealer:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Got to admit that Yeavering Bell etc have been on my radar for a while.... just never seem to have gotten the chance. The Cheviot will have their day and someone will pries that money from Gary's freckly hand.....(Oh God I hope it's me).... but the window of opportunity remains small when compared to neighboring club sites for a few reasons;

too much march land and too little rock
temperature differential between north sea and Chev's
Sea breeze effecting two sides of Chev's
Proximity and amount of airspace
low cloudbase due to above Sea air
Long (Tyne) valley crossing
small sites which are quickly effected by sea breeze
Difficult for (for me) to get to and lack of infrastructure and telecommunications
...oh and lambing at potentially the best time of year.

That said to discount the Chev's altogether would be a mistake as the potential exists providing we mindful of its traits.

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

it will be done but hope it is done by a nhpc member first as i do think there is now many pilots with there eyes on the cheviots :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Remind me of the rules again Gary?

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Gary. (It will be done, but hope it is done by a nhpc member first as i do think there is now many pilots with there eyes on the cheviots)

Now. There have been a lot of good suggestions on this thread, And with wings that are coming out in 2014, that will help you to jump the gaps. Having flown around the Cheviots in a microlight. There are not many times you can get by on the east side of Cheviot. (But things are a changing) And it’s all happiness.
:) :) :)
PS.If you do the big distance, You will have a big, (kittey) to fill the Bar in) Please
do not start until, Bill and I get there? WE are only hear to help?
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Post by ron freeman »

Dare I say it 50k xc flights have been done twice in the Cheviots but on a hangglider... and I have no doubt if paragliding members flew the Cheviots more than they do the goodies will come.

Brians post is great to read and very refreshing, the Cheviots offer many ways of doing big flights with thermal, convergence, wave & post frontal can also be very good.

The Bell I would say is the best bet in a northerly, then Humbleton hill north easterly and don't forget East hill with a bit more easterly winds

The west side of the Cheviots Hownan law has great potential for out & returns and triangles !

Count me in Brian for next year
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I think its a case of pre-planning to get good XC flights, getting out air maps, working out potential thermal sources and which slopes to work at the right time of day, figuring out out how to work the sea breeze if possible, and best time of year so the whole area isn't flooded by the sea breeze on good days
So this raises some questions
What is the best wind direction to fly in to oppose the sea breeze presume SW (what directions does the sea breeze hit from if it comes in both sides?)
What sites are good to start on to give potential of 50k+ sites that have good terrain downwind that aren't stuck in the sink of Cheviot and still provide some thermals, where are the potential convergence lines, are there any new sites we can use to provide better XC opportunities I think this is an important one because I think we are limited on good reliable sites that don't get swamped by sea breeze due to their height or proximity to the coast
Maybe a few keen Cheviot XC pilots can get together plan some routes and go out and fly as a gaggle when it is a good to see what we can milk out of the Cheviots I think it'll be exciting to tap into because it hasn't really had a lot of attention from many XC paragliding pilots and it always feels a sense of achievement to fly any XC in the Cheviots no matter how small I think with the new wings around these days we should stand a reasonable chance in 2014 of getting past the 50k mark and getting Garys £500 reward 8)
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Yep, I can agree with that; the incentive of the £600 Gary is offering is really tempting.

Ali

brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Both the flights I have suggested have no airspace issues. The trouble with the Bell in a northerly is that you have to cross the Cheviots and get passed the large distance of sinking air in their lee, both my flight plans avoid this.
Making some interesting reading and some good ideas, Ronnie can you post the details of the 50k flights please to give us a little more insight.
I think he's giving you a poor deal Ali, he said if I get further than the bottom landing field and declair the flight it'll be £1000!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Any more flight plans?
Come on we need more pilots to contribute and work together to make sure an NHPC member is the first pilot to open up the Cheviots!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Garys £700 reward should be for NHPC pilots only
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
MadDog
Chatty

Post by MadDog »

I think it's really good of Gary to give everybody £1100 just for flying in the Cheviots!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Nice one

Post by ron freeman »

Oh John.. just luv your positivity :wink:
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

A wager

Post by John Wallis »

How about hedging your bets and saying who you think will win the NHPC XC league in 2014

My call is

1st John Wallis

2nd Andrew Maltby

3rd Gary Stenhouse

4th Ali Guthrie

5th Chris Little

Impossible??

Nothing is impossible

Place your bets :shock:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

It's amazing how a bottle of wine turns you into the best pilot in the club groan... Well the thread is called just dreaming :roll:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Yes, you've got to beat me to get that accolade,,,,,,,and that'll never happen! :twisted:
So keep dreaming and drinking the wine!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Will do................
Livetrack24 wannyjollis