Gloves

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Andrew Maltby
Regular

Gloves

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Probably one of the most important pieces of kit but least talked about is gloves. I've never been able to find a really effective pair of gloves for longer flights. What do people use and what can you recommend, especially those that spend a long time in the air.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

A pair of leather ski gloves, not thick and bulky but good quality and only cost £15. :)
Just a good pair of thin windstopper ones for the summer, again only about £15.

The most important thing is to keep the wrist warm. The blood is close to the surface of the skin at the wrist and that's often where there's a gap in the clothing.

Keep the fingers moving, play the piano on the risers, anything, but don't jus sit there gripped. The movement helps circulation, after a while, it's just automatic and you don't even have to think about it.

Drop one hand off the brakes if you can and give it a shake lower than your shoulder, (and your hand!)

Dare say a pair of neoprene (wetsuit) gloves would do a good job as well, available from surf shops in a variety of thicknesses. But having smelt my surf gloves,,,,,not something you would keep many friends with in the car or the pub afterwards!

Find somewhere warm to fly!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Duck down mitts so the fingers aren't separated they are extremely warm but they are a little bit more awkward for ground handling.
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Hi Andrew, I've invented a great alternative to gloves!! all you need is two flytec vario bags --- cut a 20mm hole out of the middle of the closed end and have it embroidered so it doesnt fray and "HEY PRESTO" you have your Watson's Wanderfull Wandermitt's (Pat pend) now just feed your brake line through the hole in each bag, place your hands inside and "HEY TESCO" you can wear a thin pair of leather gloves and still be nice and warm. Very easy to get your hands in and out, and much less cumbersome especially for taking photo's etc --- trouble is, I need another vario bag :(
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Too late John, Dangerous Dave was seen sporting 2 bread bags on his brake handles today on Blease to keep his pinkies warm. And no need to buy 2 varios!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

There' Dino Mitts, used to be made by System X. Sadly now defunked.

Just bit the bullet and ordered some heated glove liners. Not cheap but hopefully sorting out my winter and spring.

4 to 6 hours of warmth!

http://warmthru.com/acatalog/G3_Heated_ ... _grey.html

I'll let you know how they are.
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Wind stoppers

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Andrew, I use a good pair of wind stoppers with Ozee mitts (two layers are better than one) there very good but what ever you use make sure you can still grab your reserve handle and pull it..
Last edited by ron freeman on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

And I thought the way you gordies dress when clubing during winter you were all hard as nails - No I will take that back that just the girls :wink: :wink:

Dino mitts are possibly the best at keeping your hands warm in the same way a pod helps keep the body warm

Kitt
Last edited by Kitt Rudd on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

No---- Watson's Wandermitts are the best.
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Thanks for the replies. Will look into the mits solution but am most interested to hear how you get on with the electric liners Steve. I've tried heated gloves before but they didn't provide enough heat for long enough. I'm coming back to the UK for good in the not too distant future so need to get kitted out to return to the freezer!
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Hi Andrew, have you tried those small disposable hand warmers? Activated charcoal, slipped inside your gloves they make a difference and last ages.
Good to hear you're coming back too.
Just back from Italy myself, went to Bassano for a week, great weather, flew every day.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Hi Andrew, have you tried those small disposable hand warmers? Activated charcoal, slipped inside your gloves they make a difference and last ages.
Good to hear you're coming back too.
Just back from Italy myself, went to Bassano for a week, great weather, flew every day.