Custard and Jelly

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

MadDog
Chatty

Custard and Jelly

Post by MadDog »

Dear sir, Your Majesty, Your Highnessness, God.
Whoever it is you are, who has control over everything and everybody on this teeming planet….
I would like to raise one or two points with you, the first point being about the distribution of Custard and Jelly among the flying fraternity that flocked to Blease Fell on Saturday, and East Hill on Sunday,
Why was there no Custard and Jelly for me?
And more to the point, how is it that all the available Custard and Jelly, went to the ones who’s plates were already overloaded….right up to and even beyond the Plimsoll Line with said Custard and Jelly?
I know that you have said: That to him who has shall be given more, and to him, who has not shall be taken away, even that which he has…..
Now don’t you think that this is just a little bit unfair, saying that the only one who has had nowt to start with, just happens to be me?
I appreciate that the distribution of Custard and Jelly is a fine art, and the cogs don’t always mesh to everyone’s satisfaction, but I’m sure that if you check your records you will find that the last time I had any Custard and Jelly was about four hundred years ago when I somehow managed to fly from Clough Head to Kendal…..so you see, that I’m not one of those who complains without just cause….
Perhaps you are reading the seating plan for Gary’s van upside down….and shovelling the Custard and Jelly in vast quantities into the front part where the Heroes sit…No….you need to aim the shovel cum ladle further towards the back, that’s me behind the tinted windows…….
Crying

Ready when you are….

Brian Day, on his way to the biggest helping of Custard and Jelly that ever came the way of anyone, ever, on East Hill
Attachments
DSCF0800-2.JPG
DSCF0800-2.JPG (50.44 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well there was one snake in the grass and a very rare site and even rarer was a record pg xc from east hill be mr day. very well done on a day where nothing was to expected.

cheers gary
Attachments
tn_P1000030.JPG
tn_P1000030.JPG (121.85 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
tn_P1000032.JPG
tn_P1000032.JPG (116.6 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Short memory..

Post by ron freeman »

There has been many good height gains on East hill over the years and not many have tried to go over the back (if interested !) Yesterday at East hill it was a classic south west vs a weak sea breeze front and Brian got it spot on, he used thermals to get the height need to get into the convergance (1mile up wind) and he waisted no time legging it over the back 'Nice one Brian good to watch'

Felt sorry for you Gary, excellent effort trying to get away while moaning Mad dog just sat and watched..

Hope there is more to come 8)
Attachments
excellent
excellent
Hike & fly east hill 006 - Copy.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Last edited by ron freeman on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

a cracking day and was not far from joining brian and will be up there again trying, i must say never seen such a blatent sea breaze front and would of love to of got away, even if was to base and back.

what was strange was even though it was well off to the south the air was quite smooth, though have been flying quite a bit.

cheers gary
ron freeman
Seasoned

Great flight

Post by ron freeman »

East hill - 300ft top to bottom, no problem !
Attachments
excellent
excellent
Hike & fly east hill 009 - Copy.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Some days you stand on the hill listening to all the theories about the weather, and it's hard to sift the truth from the bullsh*t, what to listen to and what to ignore.
On Sunday I was listening, but only with one ear. Looking at the sky things seemed to make sense. Gary and I clipped in, but nothing was tempting me, Gary jumped off and tried hard, but went for another walk up the hill, at which point Mad Dog completed the picture, 'Does he not listen, you've got to fly out to meet the convergance,,,,,,,what a load of boll*cks'
Then I spotted some swifts, Paul managed to get off to them, but I couldn't get my wing to fly and was left stranded on the hill. Paul managed a short flight but was soon back on the hill with me. The swifts reappeared, this time I managed to get off to them and pick up the thermal.
From there on it was follow the words from the hill and everything worked to plan,,,,,,so he is right!
The only thing is the words of wisdom didn't include the 'what to do next' Flying along above the raggedy clouds along the line, what happens when the clouds below you dissapear, turn round, they've gone there as well, just a high cirrus sky????? Spotted a cummie in the distance and flew to that,,,,,,nothing :???: Nothing left in the sky so I started looking at the ground, loads of yellow fields, farmers turning hay,,,,,,,,nothing,,,,,,,just a trip to the floor.......Well this is the Cheviots!!!!!
But again they've given us a taste of what they hide, it's just finding the right waiter to bring you the custard and jelly :wink:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned

Brian

Post by ron freeman »

Brian, convergance very rarely flows in straight line especially when you have deep valleys behind East hill.. the convergance tends to 'S shape in and out of the valleys because of sea breeze penetration

After you left the hill I looked over the back of East hill and noticed the convergance line weaved its way up to Wooler & this may have been your best line.

If you are heading north stay close to the low raggy wisps to the east and this will keep you in the lifting section of the convergance and if you do get close to the cloud ceiling fly inland to lose height * never fly through the convergance line.. its turbulant and the sink is horrendous and you will probably not have the glide or speed to fly back into the lifting section.

Cracking flight though 8)