Speedflying Close In !!!!

Post by Chris L »

Full on speedflying ............Worth a watch :lek:

http://www.zapiks.fr/valentin-delluc-speedflying-.html
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
RichardC
Chatty

Post by RichardC »

Well I suspect it won't be long before we are reading ANOTHER short piece somewhere about the tragic death of another speedflying pilot.

I can see the skill involved but every time I watch this sort of thing I seem to spend half the video frowning and lifting my feet off the ground whilst sat on the sofa.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I bet thats what folk said about hangliding when that first started to develop. Richard, people have been doing this sort of stuff for a few years now; nothing new and yes there will be injuries but aren't there in every so called dangerous sport. Just a matter of learning properly and developing in your own time, oh - and its so, so good fun 8) 8) 8)
Stuart Bertram
Chatty

Post by Stuart Bertram »

Looks like an expensive sport to me!!!!!!

Having to buy all those cameras........
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

if you looking for thrils this stuff looks a little tame if I am honest Chris. Want a real close in, on the edge feeling try your bike cranked over at 100mph+! with your knee on the floor and your head 20 inches off the road, feels like 6!! I know your bike is not an out n out racer but its still well capable of the required lean angles, track days and theres loads of round abouts.!

Also surprised you not tried any acro, I aint done what Colin's done so he would be better to talk to, but the wing overs I have tried on my own felt pretty dynamic to me!. They might have been pretty small I dont know but there was a shit load of energy going on and a very health dose of adrenaline.

To be fair I gave both the above up, it would have ended up in tears or flowers, or both. I want to leave some life to learn to make a pair of trousers, from cloth I have weaved, from the thread the wife spun, from the wool we have sheared, from the sheep in our fields.! n shit like that ;)
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I agree Steve having done a track day back end of last year I'll be doing more, I've done SAT's & wing overs in Turkey and all the SIV stuff but just not the same as the buzz you get from speedflying, maybe it doesn't look as good but it certainly puts a big grin on your face :egrin:
The UK just isn't the place for doing acro and when you work so hard to get high in thermals I don't want to burn it all off again when I could be off exploring XC
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

is part the rush the relef of not having to walk back down the bastard of a hill you've just hauled your arse up.? Wing overs under 250 feet certainly give you that 'one slip an its all over' feeling. By the way, any kids reading this dont listen to uncle Chris or Uncle Steve as were naughty.! Well certainly uncle Steve is very naughty and not to be followed nor listened to.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Interesting comments..

Post by ron freeman »

Chris, hanggliding in the early days was certainly not like the video posted. Pilots then were self taught so some survived and sadly some not.. also the wings back then were not stable so the more height you achieved the better..

The way I look at flying.. we all have a choice to decide wether you just like to fly, or like to push the limits and take the knocks :roll: