the new club champion is gary wirdnam hg pilot and not ali g

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

the new club champion is gary wirdnam hg pilot and not ali g

Post by gary stenhouse »

it looks like i made a mistake and the the new overal xc champion for 2010 is Gary Wirdnam with a stagering 350km

i beleive it has been over 16 years since any hg pilot has won this trophy as i beleive mr gutherie had been taken it home for that 16 years.

also i would like to wisg gary all the best in italy where it seems half are club is moving too.

unfortunately gary will not be taken the trophy over with him though it will all be engraved and kept in a safe place for furture pilots to lust over

cheers gary chairman who has been known to get it wrong
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Trophy

Post by ron freeman »

Gary, this trophy (golden lady) has been going for 5 years Ali G is the only name on it !

When the Club decided to start the XC league on our web site I bought this trophy for the Overall club champion HG or PG (best six flights)

Commiserations to Ali and well done Gary Wirdman.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I really don't think Gary Wirdnam will be interested in the NHPC XC trophy for goodness sake he is one of the best pilots in the world and I doubt very much he would want to steal the trophies from the ordinary club pilots. I would suggest the man is much bigger than that and he would be embarrassed to accept it.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

oooooooh! I can see this one going on and on and on. :(

So what we're saying is,,,,,,that neither of the pilots really wants our little trophy :cry:

I know someone that has a space in the trophy cabinet already cleared and polished waiting for it. :wink:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned

John Wallis

Post by ron freeman »

John Wallis,

when I won the team world HG championships you said the same thing to me ! and I felt insulted because this was where my flying career started and I was not going to stop taking part in our club competitions for anyone for the reasons below.

Grass roots competition starts at club level and this is a very important step to a competition career... we as a club have a responsibilty to encourage pilots to improve and develope their skills to what ever standard they need.

To say because someone has now become a top pilot who came through the club system should not compete at club level is crazy ! how are our pilot going to develop in the competition world if you think these pilots should now not take part...

I say the more top pilots we have taking part the better training & understanding for our club pilots ! its the best way to learn :roll:
Last edited by ron freeman on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Whatever Ronnie
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Really though there's a big difference comparing learning with a comp pilot and learning with one of the worlds best pilots if your chasing the later your probably gonna get hurt
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
ron freeman
Seasoned

Chasing ?

Post by ron freeman »

Chasing and commonsense are very different animals Colin ! hopefully the commonsence is already there before learning to fly :roll:

If you don't see these pilots in action you don't realise just what is possible 8)

John Wallis, nobody said nothing when Ian Miskin + Mike Stevens (GB team members) took part in our club comps :wink: as a club we should be encouraging these pilot to take part and not be frighten to have a go at them.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I am happy for as many world pilots to fly in our club but guess what none of them will fly our sites. For one reason they are only ok for very low performance hg and pg. The only site worthy os fell?

Now tell me one thing what was the amount of xc km done in the past on Northumbrian sites only? Well this year I have had at least 140k alone on these sites with four flights and on weekends only.

No matter how you dress it the only way to do big xc is to go to sites away to the dales peaks tint the mind this is what gets big distances, and from what I hear they are very easy to do compared to the cheviots.

So it's all about choices and why are you doing it?

Cheers gary a
ron freeman
Seasoned

Why not !

Post by ron freeman »

Gary, I though this thread was about comps ? anyway why not try flying the likes of Yeavering bell & Moneylaws on a good XC day next year instead of going to the Model ridge or Carlton all the time..

Also there is something that you are forgeting.. the big XC's from Xfell to the coast (Bamburgh, Seahouses) this flight involves flying past the Cheviot hills ! so it can't be that bad :lol:

Big distance XC are not hard to do if the conditions are good but on marginal days a 10mile flight can be just as rewarding :wink:

NHPC sites & low performance hanggliders & paraglider where did that one come from...
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

If you look at the xc league then you will see I have flown more xc in the cheviots than any other pilot. However have you ever flown a topless in the cheviots in recent years? The rio and training glider have less performance than the new pg and high performance lots more but are not suitable.

I would be happy to give money laws a go all the time but with 2months of lambing then aft 12 most flying days it just is too late as thie see breeze is often there to screw it all up soon after. So any light wind days often are taken out by the see breeze.

Still there is the 100 pounds to be won and 200 for over 50k so with the bognor and this could be worth a go for fully paid up members

Cheers Gary
ron freeman
Seasoned

having a laugh

Post by ron freeman »

Your havin a laugh mate if you think any paraglider is up to the performance of a Rio hangglider ! and as for the most XC's in the Cheviots you still have a along way to go.. Iv'e been flying them thar hills for a very long time & long before you started to post 6k XC's on the message board :lol:

Before breakfast I used to fly from West hill to Wooler and back then do it again in the same flight ! and there is no paraglider pilot going to do that with thier present performace

First pilot to fly over the top of the Cheviots in both directions & still the only pilot to do so :o in the thirty five years flying these hills Iv'e must have clocked up around 2,000 miles !

I can remember Werner Hindmarsh (club member) picking me up at 11.00am to go flying at West Hill (40min drive) I was knocking on his wifes door for a cup of tea at 1.00pm after flying XC 26miles in 50mins ! (West hill to Ashington) his wife Hilary answered the door and told me you are surposed to be flying with Werner where is he ! :lol:
I think Hilary thought Werner had a fancy bit... :lol: so I had to show her my hangglider lying in the field over her garden fence :lol:
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Not doubting that but with your biggest xc in the last decade is what and also with gps validation. At least when I do a xc it is validated 16k from money laws is your best in the last 4 years and 5 years ago you won the hg xc with 3k from long know with even a trace or validation. I think you will find the om8 and peak 2 are more than a match. So that means in 36 years flying you only paid your membership for 6 years, yet you have used the club sites more than any person. Disgraceful you should be ashamed to call yourself a member.

Cheers Gary
ron freeman
Seasoned

Here we go...

Post by ron freeman »

Here we go... not the honorary membership again....!!!! yes I was given an Honorary membership Gary and I am very proud of this and you being the Chairman of this club you should be ashamed of what you are saying.

Every year I have given lots of items for our Club auction which cost me money to raise more money for the club nuf said.

I found & negotiated most of the sites that I fly so of course I am going to fly them.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

I really don't think Gary Wirdnam will be interested in the NHPC XC trophy for goodness sake he is one of the best pilots in the world and I doubt very much he would want to steal the trophies from the ordinary club pilots. I would suggest the man is much bigger than that and he would be embarrassed to accept it.
John is that not prity insulting to the Club and Gary? Gary came to the club meetings and talked to the rest of the members who you seem to think are so far below him. There again I only met him three of four times, seemed like a canny fella to me but I dont know him as intimatly as you must John!
fly from West hill to Wooler and back then do it again in the same flight
I would think that impossible, would be interested in how this is done.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I this is impossible and would love to see it been done

With a mosquito I would think before breakfast wooler and back for one the see breeze front does not come in until lunchtime so not easy but without a gps you can see wooler from a 1000feet high so line of site and dilution

Why gps was introduce to back up your claims as without it I flew to the moon and back on my handkerchief

Cheers gary
ron freeman
Seasoned

Hi Steve

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Steve, yes its no wind up apart from Gary S who thinks he is the only pilot who ever flies...and every flight needs GPS validation :o

The flight was achieved in may 1984 (to early for mosquitos) there were quite a few club members waching on West hill and also members driving back from Moneylaws on the A697 heading south to Powburn were watching me from the roadside.

The wind was 12-15mph n.west at around 1.00pm I was soaring West hill for about 20mins when I noticed a sea breeze front coming in from the east over the top of East hill ! so I flew over to East hill (northside) toward a huge tattered curtain of cloud and it was solid lift to 5,000ft ato

The convergence lift fell in line with A697 upto Wooler so I flew along the line of lift heading n.west to Wooler it only took about 20min to get there so flew back to West hill and because the convergence line has stopped moving inland I was able to stay with it and fly back up to Wooler again and back !

Total flight time was 3 hours and 35 miles flown. I am well aware that the Cheviot hill area are affected by sea breezes but with a bit of Luck and in the right place at the right time anything is possible.

p.s. we didn't have GPS then pity it would have been some trace !
Fingers
Regular

Re: Hi Steve

Post by Fingers »

ron freeman wrote:Hi Steve, yes its no wind up apart from Gary S who thinks he is the only pilot who ever flies...and every flight needs GPS validation :o

The flight was achieved in may 1984 there were quite a few club members waching on West hill and also members driving back from Moneylaws on the A697 heading south to Powburn were watching me from the roadside.

The wind was 12-15mph n.west at around 1.00pm I was soaring West hill for about 20mins when I noticed a sea breeze front coming in from the east over the top of East hill ! so I flew over to East hill (northside) toward a huge tattered curtain of cloud and it was solid lift to 5,000ft ato

The convergence lift fell in line with A697 upto Wooler so I flew along the line of lift heading n.west to Wooler it only took about 20min to get there so flew back to West hill and because the convergence line has stopped moving inland I was able to stay with it and fly back up to Wooler again and back !

Total flight time was 3 hours and 35 miles flown. I am well aware that the Cheviot hill area are affected by sea breezes but with a bit of Luck and in the right place at the right time anything is possible.

p.s. we didn't have GPS then pity it would have been some trace !
Thats quite something else and would have been amazing to witness, I guess these conditions happen once in a blue moon.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Steve

Post by ron freeman »

Steve, there have been lots of very interesting flights done in the Cheviot hills area, wave, convergence, thermals, not every pilot is interested in writing about them or in fact talking about them, they do it because they like to fly simple as that really.

John Wallis had very good flight from Titlington pike to the coast then up to Berwick upon tweed ! flying in convergence but he does not talk about it much because he hates Titer's as a flying site but still a great flight.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

http://bhgc.wikidot.com/notable-achievements

Before breakfast is not 1pm I have not said I am the only one to of done flights in the cheviots. But come on ron1984 was a long time ago to live on a memory once in 34 years makes it nothing more than a fluke. I am saying I am some kind of sky god I just talk about here and now and not what I did 30years ago. As for gps trace it makes a huge difference between nearly there and actualy been there.

Many times I have watched pilots fly out from the hill and think my god you must of getting t the farm and when they back they say no not even half way, yet another person would I am sure say o yes i did if they did not have gps.

Still great achievements for the time but we all have moved on and some of the great names are still out there topping the xc leagues

Cheers Gary
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Have never heard John mention that flight, ever! :roll:

On a more serious note, I ask every year but any chance trying to
re-negotiate Loredenshaw until the end of May or so? It offers the best potential for a long XC from the Cheviots.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Gary

Post by ron freeman »

Gary, you must stop letting your ego from absorbing valuable information that may help your flying some day... but in saying that you have had some very serious accidents in a very short space of time on paraglider & hanggliders... also that flight was no fluke ! 2months later I went on to win the Scottish open hg Championships and set a new national scottish xc record.. :wink:

Andrew, this site is now a grouse moor ! so very difficult to negotiate Bob Sutherland has spoken to them and the last I heard was not good.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Yep I may of not had the luck of a lot of pilots who have had more close shaves than gillete. The one thing you can not say is I do not listen, as I am constant in the quest for information, what I can say though is I fly 5 times the hours of the average uk pilot so in them terms I would say I have done pretty well. One pg accident in 500 hours with no bad landings draggings etc. The hangliding accident was due to bad decision though this was the line I was told to use by a experienced pilot.

Still an accident it was but the one thing I don't do is burry my head in the sand as it has been proved time and time that it can happen to you, it does not just happen to others.

Cheers Gary
GlennP
Regular

i m the bestest pilot in the world ever!!!

Post by GlennP »

I think we need to get Harry Hill in to sort you two out.
You are only as good as your last flight........
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Well after the exiting night I have had so far with carnation street emmerdale and eastenders it's good to have a good bit of banter. I just love the positive word that Ron always has for the club and members.

Still I must watch my ego as I don't want to overstate my qualities, what are they again?

Cheers Gary
ron freeman
Seasoned

Post by ron freeman »

gary stenhouse wrote: it's good to have a good bit of banter.
I don't think its good batter when you attack my honorary membership and also say I should be a shamed of being a member and trying to bring doubt with some of my xc flights :twisted:

The NHPC club is a great club with a great history
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Steve........Be quiet you just like a fight on the forum

Andrew..... Can't remember the fight from Titters to Berwick :) but I do remember your flight from Cross Fell to Hexham :roll:

Ronnie..... Stop living in the past and for Gods sake get a sense of humour you really need to chill you are like a child in the play ground.

Gary ............ Keep on doing what you are doing your enthusiasm is the life blood of our club and what's more you are turning into a bloody good pilot.

The Cheviots are shite for XC end of.

Wagner to win the X Factor :o
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

be quiet?... Like thats going to happen.
You didnt really expect anyone to take that noncence seriously?. Speaking for this man as if you know his every inner thoughts :-\

If not wanting to take your slava is construed as having a fight?...... You win.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

a.) Holding a title or place without rendering service or receiving reward; as, an honorary member of a society.

this is why i question the title as the above explains my reasoning, this is a reward piad to those who have no longer anything to do with there club or society not some one who has been the most active member?

yes i do get anoyed with the negativity to any club member does well, i break the xfell record by a massive margin on a pg and all yu can say is negative. so you can't expect people to take you seriously when you no longer take part in this side of the sport and only quote from 2-3 decades ago

cheers gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Awww shite!!!! I missed a good night :cry:
Sounds like a really good 'Once upon a time'
Steve, John, you're loosing your touch, way not insulting enough,,,,you need more practise.
Lets face it now that the Blyth Crew has got bigger no one stands a chance agianst us.
Might as well re name the club and re do the competitions so that the Blyth Crew win them all....We are the best!!!!!!! :twisted:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01