Greetings from Rome!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Andrew Maltby
Regular

Greetings from Rome!

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Finally got back into the air today after a lay-off of over a year! Fantastic days flying at Norma(south of Rome), first take-off turned left straight into a thermal with 20+ gliders!!

Conditions today were similar to a uk summer with temperatures of 20C and pleasant thermal flying. Able to fly several K's north and south(2000'ato).

Only thing that's missing is a few Northumbrian voices on the hill! Locals say that Jan and Feb are really good months for flying down here.

Ciao!

Andrew
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Nice one Maltby :)
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Ohhh Sounds Lovely :)

Did you go for the Swift ?

Great to hear yours back . :)
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Bought a Gin Sprint but it's still in the UK so had a demo Mentor 2 yesterday. The shop only had the small size available(at the top of weight range +) which made the flying very sporty, was able to centre brilliantly!
After not having flown for so long it would be difficult to give any meaningful review of the glider, only to say I had great fun with it :)

Heading home for a week in December and the odd day before then so might be able to get out flying back home if the weather gods are kind.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

Memtor2 armt they suposed to be the dpgs wotsits? how much is a mew glider in tje land pf the spagheti eatets?
see you om december
pleade forgove bad spelling
little buttons amd fat fongers
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Andrew do you want your new glider picked up ?
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Hi Bill, you'd make a killing on the taxi's down here. They charge to come to your house first then the onward fare! Mentor was really nice to fly, the most popular make down here though is Swing gliders, particularly the Mistral 6 which is a very good looking machine(and nice colour scheme's!). Large number of comp pilots here with an official task set each flying day and a breifing on site, all looks very serious. Several groups of 5 or 6 gliders racing from thermal to thermal, great to watch and get carried away with. Don't know about prices yet but will be making some enquiries(and with you Steve :lol:)! WV harness's are the most common here as you would expect. I've got myself a Voyager Plus which has been a revelation after lugging my heavy stuff around for a couple of years. (Might need to borrow a harness this weekend back home if it gets flyable).

Thanks for the offer John but it's already sitting at home just waiting till I have some spare space in my luggage to bring it down(might have to get a glider for down here instead Argggh!!). Wouldn't mind borrowing back that white helmet though if you've still got it as it would be ideal with the light weight kit.

Hope to see you all out on the hill soon.
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Glad you've been getting out.
The flying in Norma is supposed to be excellent!

The Mentor 2 does sound like an amazing machine. Great performance, perhaps a tad hot (for a 1/2), and good handling. Could have been expensive demoing one of those!

See you before too long

Steve
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!