avian rio

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

ken waterson
Mingling

avian rio

Post by ken waterson »

looking to buy an avian rio would like to no if anybody owned or flew one what they thougt about this kite any info would be great 8)
Woody
Mingling

Rio

Post by Woody »

Hi Ken,

I bought a Rio when I first started flying, about a decade ago, and still have it. Though I now fly a Guggenmos (rigid-wing) and Spyder (flexwing), I still get a lot of enjoyment from the Rio. The Rio is an excellent handling glider with very light control and a big flair window. Also, pushing the bar out, you can really wang it about. If you want to explore further from the hill it does not have the performance for into-wind glides; but nor do para-gliders and they seem to do okay.

If you are just starting out, this is an excellent wing. Don’t let anyone talk you into buying a higher performance glider in the first instant, as this will only slow your leaning progress. In fact, getting 20 to 50 hours on something like a Rio will progress your skill fastest and you will have a lot of fun too (and its all about having fun). Also, it’s not so heavy to carry up.

Woody
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Ken

Post by ron freeman »

Spot on Woody & very wise words.. the Rio is a fantastic glider and very well made by Avian's Steve Elkins chief designer & builder.

I've taught lots of students on this wing with no problems what so ever ! and they hold there price well on the second hand market.

For what you pay you get a very good intermediate glider that has an excellent safety record the only draw back I can think of which is + you don't see many for sale because they are so nice to fly.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

And, they are light enough to carry without bustin' your nuts, quick and easy to rig and i wish i still had mine.............
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
ken waterson
Mingling

Post by ken waterson »

cheers for info but think yuo could be right ron tried for 2 already sold :cry: nice reply woody cheers want to sell any chance of first offer lots of love ken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Ken try and contact Jim Haslam from the Dales club use the club contacts or internet to trace him he had a Rio with about 5 hours on it, it was "Brand New" if he's still got it it will be a very good buy and he is a very respectable guy.

JW
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

click on the link one for sale here though not sure if it is sold on skyads
cheers gary

http://skyads.co.uk/addetail.asp?AdID=12025
ken waterson
Mingling

Post by ken waterson »

hi john cheers for that managed to get hold of jim but he is in france flying the rio cross country with vultures loves the glider siad might sell next year / gary sent skyads a message but never got back tried to register to get sellers info but just get servo error do you have telephone no for them
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

hi ken i have pmd you as it has the persons email and mobile one is up for sale at 1200 and simon murphy has a one for 1495

cheers gary