Northern Series comp

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

brian day
Regular

Northern Series comp

Post by brian day »

Well, it seems the Scots have better things to do than have fun with us southerners and have withdrawn from the competition.
We are trying to formulate some rules and a format for the comp, which is causing some problems, I can envisage at least one other club withdrawing, which is unfortunate.
CSC have asked to do their round in September, when do you think we should offer to put our round on?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

How about 17-18th july
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Let us be proactive. How about the end of April? Let us get things started in the way we mean to carry on.

Brian has done a brilliant job so far on organising this, but needs our support.

I would suggest we have a meeting of interested people one evening at the corner house?
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Hear Hear
Let us be proactive. How about the end of April? Let us get things started in the way we mean to carry on.

Brian has done a brilliant job so far on organising this, but needs our support.

I would suggest we have a meeting of interested people one evening at the corner house?
Or even the Lion and Lamb you tend to get more poeple turning up there than you do at a club meeting.
Henry
Mingling

Post by Henry »

Does the Lion & Lamb do real ale ? wherever it is ? as I find it intolerable going to a (so called) pub whose best offering is chilled tasteless Newcy Brown ??
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i must say earlier is good as i think we have to look at cross fell as the site of choice. mid to end of april would be good

cheers gary
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Bravo Guys, I like the positive spirit. Why Cumbria has chosen such a late date in the season beggars belief :???:

Brian, as one if the main conspirators for this series could you provide an outline to the format, team composition etc.

Kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Kitt Rudd wrote: Why Cumbria has chosen such a late date in the season beggars belief :???:
Err obvious really, Lambing and then the LCC in June, it was felt that a late date was the way to go for Cumbria and better for our sites. Also there is talk of having a social in the evening, a big barbie or something. Surprised at your comments Kitt as I thought you were involved in the discussion of when was best for the CSC to hold a comp, your comments almost 'beggar belief'!
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Hi Gordie,
Must have been the meeting I missed :o

Kitt
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I'm well up for it and any meetings to organise it, let's get this show on the road, although I might miss the Cumbrian round as I should be SIV'ing in September

07824 554735
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

I agree with Gary, that we should be looking at using Cross Fell, as this has by far and away the most potential. The problem then is that you have to wait for a weekend when it looks like it will be on at Cross Fell, which means making provisional arangements, and then possibly canning the comp only a couple of days before if it is not on.

I know when we were in the BCC that John wallis and Bob Sutherland put a huge amount of work into circulating farmers, checking sites etc, just for the round to be cancelled because of bad weather.

This can form part of the discussion next week.

What about approaching it in a slightly different way, Each participating club submits their preferred sites to host a comp, then we simply agree potential dates and watch the weather as none of us are that far from one another we simply agree the hill for the day, Having a comp held on each others turf (as it were) is archaic. This is a new comp series so lets think about it in a different manner :???:
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Sorry Alastair and others,
I wrongly pressed the edit rather that the quote button and as such have tampered with Alastair's orginal post.
The suggestion which appears at the bottom of his post is in fact my own
Apologies for and confusion.

What about approaching it in a slightly different way, Each participating club submits their preferred sites to host a comp, then we simply agree potential dates and watch the weather as none of us are that far from one another we simply agree the hill for the day, Having a comp held on each others turf (as it were) is archaic. This is a new comp series so lets think about it in a different manner

Kitt
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Kitt, not only have you added to the end of my post, you have also managed to delete the first three paragraphs?

My original post is now below.
Last edited by AlastairW on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Now now Gordie and Kitt! If you want to argue on our forum you have to pay...... :D

At the risk of stepping on Brians toes, I would suggest a meeting next week, say Wednesday 24th, at either the corner house (I agree Henry - piss poor beer) or the Lion and Lamb (brilliant beer, but not as central) for all prospective competitors.

I agree with Gary, that we should be looking at using Cross Fell, as this has by far and away the most potential. The problem then is that you have to wait for a weekend when it looks like it will be on at Cross Fell, which means making provisional arangements, and then possibly canning the comp only a couple of days before if it is not on.

I know when we were in the BCC that John wallis and Bob Sutherland put a huge amount of work into circulating farmers, checking sites etc, just for the round to be cancelled because of bad weather.

This can form part of the discussion next week.
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Typical legel eagle having back up evidence to hand, The reason for the missing text was I was trying to use the quote facility, :lol: :lol:

kitt
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Yes I think if people are interested in competition they won't mind turning up at any venue to have a chat with fellow enthusiasts. We can use the lounge in the Lion and Lamb which is full of easy chairs etc and if we get enough numbers I'll get the owner to put some nibbles out roast tatties and the like. Actually there's quite a concentration of pilots in and around the Tyne Valley.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... m&t=p&z=13
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Sorry for not being in the conversation at the moment, it's a busy week, I'm out of college on a course, 9-5 and then parents evenings Tonight and Wednesday. Will try and catch up on Thursday.
A meeting next Wednesday is a great idea, lets go ahead with it and make some moves.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Time for everyone to put their money where their mouths are.

Who is keen to compete and is willing to attend a meeting next week?
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I will

07824 554735
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i certainly will be poping along and will be hoping to fly in some freindly comps but maybe not all

cheers gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Suppose I'd better make an appearance, seeing it's all my fault. 8)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Just wondering is this replacing the bcc, ie an introduction for those new to competitions?
Or is it for established experienced pilots?
I was hoping to take part in the bcc this year, but now cant.
If folk are inferring that the bcc organisers cant organise satisfactorily, what is to be done differently by the clubs involved?
Just wondering, having never been to the bcc.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

The general opinion of the Bcc is that in recent years it has moved away from being a fun competition to a serious one, the idea of the northern series is to re-introduce the fun comp with the aim of introducing pilots to the comp scene

07824 554735
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

If folk are inferring that the bcc organisers cant organise satisfactorily, what is to be done differently by the clubs involved?
Just wondering, having never been to the bcc.
No one has at any point made any such comment or inferrence.

A great deal of work has been done over the winter months by volunteers from clubs across the north and Scotland to put together a competition format. This is now almost complete and dates for the rounds are being placed on the competition callender.

The meeting next week is for members of our club who wish to compete and help in the organisation of our round.

To compete in the BCC this year would have meant a great deal of travelling as no other northern clubs were competing, which means no northern rounds. From past experience it was difficult to get people to commit to travelling even as far as the Dales for a weekend. I would think we will have difficulty in even getting a team together for the Northern 54 Series.
what is to be done differently by the clubs involved?
If you had interest then why have you not volunteered to help putting things together during the winter?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Count me in please.

RonDon
:) :)
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Jim, I suggest you read this months Skywings magazine. There are two interesting articles in it.

Firstly the open letter from the Dales club committee about their reason not to compete in the BCC, and secondly the investigation report into the tragedy at last years final. They give an insight into why the Northern 54 comp has been proposed.

The intention of this comp is to have something that is available to all pilots from CP up. And for it to be fun. Brian has put in a HUGE amount of effort already, in liasing with clubs from the Peak district up to Edinborough, and all points in between. Come along to the Lion and Lamb on Wednesday and find out.

Of course if you want to organise an NHPC team for the BCC, you can still do that.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Is this the official name now Northern 54 and I take it 54 refers to our latitude.

07824 554735
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

No - the 54 is the number of pints you have to buy the organiser..... :D
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

The dales club letter seems measured and constructive.
I have not been to the bcc so cannot give a first hand opinion, the impression i got from our members was that it was a fun light hearted comp for newbies. I was looking forward to doing it this year.
If you think the bcc has gone wrong in some way then the constructive thing to do is suggest improvements. Has anyone done this from the nhpc?
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I dont think all the constructive critisism in the world could save the BCC now not with 2 deaths and a serious injury in 1 event people are going to remember that for a long time to come.

07824 554735