BHPA Coaching Course

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Paul Smith
Chatty

BHPA Coaching Course

Post by Paul Smith »

Looking at the cumbrian website today I noticed they have a bhpa coaching course coming up in January. Has anyone looked into getting some of our members that are interested involved, this can only improve the club..30/01/2010 BHPA Coaching Course
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Good idea

Post by ron freeman »

Totally agree Paul, our members fly the Cumbrian sites most of the time so they should support their Club coaching course & the BHPA :roll:
Last edited by ron freeman on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

post deleted, just me bleating on
Last edited by Jim Bittlestone on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

We have eleven members masquerading as club coaches me being one of them. I really can't remember anyone approaching me for help since I got the rating. I've just renewed the rating as it has to be signed off by the senior coach (Ali Guthrie) to keep it current. Of course it could just be me, but I do wonder how many coaches have been approached for help from new members. Do we have any new members? There doesn't seem to be many new faces around at the meetings these days. The question is do we need more coaches? That said the course run by Mark Dale and Dave Thompson was worth attending and quite interesting. And finally before anyone says it I didn't sign up to be a coach to run courses like they do in the Lakes but more to help people on a one to one basis on the hill. I have many years experience flying sites all over the country and some abroad but I suppose you can't help new pilots if they don't make it known or indeed need help.

JW
Last edited by John Wallis on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
nickonanova
Mingling

Post by nickonanova »

john lewis and myself from the nysc are booked in for this course paul
peter r
Mingling

Post by peter r »

More details ,for anyone interested, under the " Our Neighbours" section. :)
Paul Smith
Chatty

Post by Paul Smith »

John, masquerading is quite right, some could not even be arsed to vote for most improved pilot this year so you asked the plebs to vote. as for giving advice on the hill, you got Claire in the air at Horden and x fell. new member will be coming through all the time and to say 'does the club need more coaches', well the answer should be no but you know as well as me that if we do have coaches on the hill there intention is to not to talk to low airtimers. many a time i have stuck my ore in when i have seen someone doing something daft on the hill, i did not wait to be asked and i am only a pleb. this club lets itself down by the lack of coaching for low airtime pilots.

Nick, i will try and get on the course too, so could see you there.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

post deleted, more bleating I'm afraid.
Last edited by Jim Bittlestone on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Or is it back to coaches only voting again next year? Depends whose in the running, I guess?
You've just got yourself a job Jim I put you forward to run "All" the awards next year as I've just decided to step down. The fact that I could not get a result from the club coaches alone meant I had to throw it open to the wider audience and that is how I ended up with the result I got. I get the feeling you are a little peeved that you didn't win by what you have written at the bottom of your posts.? What am I supposed to do when people can't be arsed to vote? Got to try something. You've had an excellent first year in XC but nothing I haven't seen before. Some people do it for one season then often disappear never to be seen again the real pilots do it year after year. Chris Foster has had an excellent season and pulled enough votes to win "The Most Improved" I hear what you're saying about was it not meant for new pilots? I think it started out as that but then again if coaches or members see a pilot who in their opinion has improved quite dramatically well that's their prerogative to vote how they see it.

You're usually quite vocal on here so enjoy putting all that energy into the awards next year.

Best wishes

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

The candidate does not need vast experience (the absolute minimum is CP plus 10 hrs) but they
must have sound airmanship and demonstrate good safe flying practices.

BHPA Coach with 10 hours giving advice, to whom?......... and about what?! Dangerous, I think.

My advice to anyone would be only listen to people who you can verify they have the experience to talk any sense at all.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Club Coaching system

Post by ron freeman »

The Club coaching system works providing members use it... I would say in the last 10yrs not many have rang me and asked where I was going to fly that day !!!

I tend to just bump into members on the hill and it does not take very long to see that they need help.

At the moment our club has quite a few members with well over 50 hrs +
and they don't have the coaching ticket ? the course in very interesting and you will learn quite a bit about yourself and your approach to this great sport.

I train students to the standard of 3 soaring flights with at least 30 mins soaring time ! its not much when you consider how much there is to learn out there flying all those different sites UK & Abroad !

The only way it can work is everyone and anyone with the required experience to muck in and help.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

post deleted, more bleating.
Last edited by Jim Bittlestone on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith
Chatty

Post by Paul Smith »

Jim, I didn't start this thread for you to come along and hijack it, let just keep it to the bhpa club coaching course and to see if anyone would be interested in attending. if all you want to do is bleat on about how you've been mistreated at the hands of the nhpc start a new thread!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Jim don't take it too personally I just had to put it the way it was. I really do want someone else to keep and eye on the year ahead and sort the trophies out for next Xmas including the winter XC winner 2010 at the end of the winter section. I really have got a lot on my plate at the moment and will struggle to get out some weekends because of running children to work, friends, etc. Club activities are very low on my priority list at the moment I genuinely think you would do a great job why don't you give it a go.

As for your flying I'm sure you'll get stronger in 2010.

Happy Christmas
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Jim,
Not sure what points you are/were trying to make cos you've deleted them. But if you are wanting to grow as a pilot I would be willing to coach you, You have demonstrated some natural talent for this sport and I think if you keep your head screwed on will do well.
Look me up when you are next over for a fly
kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Jim editing was banned not long ago for the very reason that has been demonstrated today. Please refrain from dramatically altering posts or i will have to block the ability to edit again as what you have done just makes others replying look like tos**rs
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Some sweeping generalisations on this postings and some deletions that make a mocery of other peoples posts, which is why the edit function was removed.
I've been approached and I've given advice to many pilots over the last few years.
Ali and I also ran pre meeting talks, which, to be honest were pretty poorly attended, but I kept going in the knowledge that those that attended actually enjoyed them.
Ali and I held meetings for newly qualified pilots asking them for advice as to what would benifit them.
This argument came up 2 years ago and criticism was poured on the club and it's coaches from the same corners. However, when something is done the critics don't attend, the critics don't help, they just await their opportunity to crticise. So here we are again!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

What argument Brian?

Looked to me like Jim spat his dummy out for not winning, John followed suit, both then kissed and made up.

End of story.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Sorry Colin, my posts were off topic, mainly banging on about nothing. Won't do it again.
Paul's right, this should be a post about the club coach course. I think Paul would make a good coach. More coaches the better, more ideas, more energy.
Thanks for the offer Kitt I wll take you up on that.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

No idea what jim was saying, can't read deleted posts!
I was refering to the comments about the club not doing enough for new air time pilots and how much better other clubs are.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

:D :D
Looked to me like Jim spat his dummy out for not winning, John followed suit, both then kissed and made up.

End of story
Not a word wasted :D
Paul Smith
Chatty

Post by Paul Smith »

Bizarre, This is one of the main reasons I don't post much on the forum.

As for the coaching, I'm busy that weekend trying to dye my cat blacker than jims.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Forgive me Paul, I always just thought you were a miserable bastard! :)
I was refering to the comments about the club not doing enough for new air time pilots and how much better other clubs are..
There is NO better club than this, it is the people who make it so, not the badges. The Camawaderwee is second to none .......

As for help on the hill I aways received good advice from the people whom I grew to trust. I totaly dismissed advice from those I did not, regardless of what badges they had or did not.

God I feel so much like a humanitary this afternoon, as thier giving away those Nobel prizes like free gifts at Macdonalds at the mo, I wonder if I might be on the list.?.
Paul Smith
Chatty

Post by Paul Smith »

[Forgive me Paul, I always just thought you were a miserable bastard! ]

(mooning) [/quote]
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Great Avatar Jim!
I'm sure if you put a post on the forum someone will give you a longer piece of elastic for your dummy.
Maybe you should consider more posts, at least it's brought something other than songs about..... to talk about!
I think you'll make a great coach,,,,,for a makum and a miserable bastard at least! :lol:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Fingers wrote:

God I feel so much like a humanitary this afternoon, as thier giving away those Nobel prizes like free gifts at Macdonalds at the mo, I wonder if I might be on the list.?.
:home: :home: :home: :home: :home: :home:
Not that desperate yet Stevie Baby !
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

its always the winter season the moaning starts. You misrable barstuards now get out there and freeze your nads off waiting for a stiff breeze while I sit in and keep the potty warm.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i would say that what we have is one of the best coaching sites, though we may not actively set a day to traim me and a lot of others post where we will be flying. when i started to get that information where otherss were flying was almost impossible. now all you do is look at the website give us guys a ring and tag along and if your lucky you may get a chance to drive the retreive vehicle.

i would say that if club members would like to do the club coach then the club should pay for them members to do it?

cheers
ron freeman
Seasoned

Club coaching

Post by ron freeman »

I agree Gary the club should pay for the course and have done in the past.

The members who do the course should also make sure that they get the paper work done after the course for the coaching ticket... :wink:
Last edited by ron freeman on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

i would say that if club members would like to do the club coach then the club should pay for them members to do it?
Totally agree Gary and that would mean all the guys who did the course a couple of years ago would get a full refund on their expenses too. :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis