Flying Car - Tonight Channel 4 10pm

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

dave-mclaughlin
Chatty

Flying Car - Tonight Channel 4 10pm

Post by dave-mclaughlin »

A quick heads up:-

Channel 4 tonight 10pm "The Flying Car:Daredevils"

"Documentary following the efforts of inventor Gilo Cardozo to get the world's first practical flying car off the ground. Banned from British airspace by the Civil Aviation Authority, he and former SAS soldier Neil Laughton plan to transport the vehicle to Timbuktu - but must face the challenges of crossing the Channel and the Sahara before they can put the designs to the test"

Looks like a cross between a paramotor & a beach buggy. See:-
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 106213.ece
Dave McLaughlin
Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

Well done the CAA lets hope the other authority can stop these upper class twits ever getting back in the country (swear)
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

similar to the Bear Grylls programme, did our sport no favours. They looked like a pair of rank amateurs with too much cash and not enough common. At least they did ensure that no one in their right minds would actually buy one. Another freak show that belongs in a circus.
Interesting that as soon as the 'pilot' left go of everything and perched on the sill ready to ditch in the sea, the wing stopped rolling and turned toward the shore.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

An absolute 'Pile of Pants' As Paul says public school boy types spending daddies money on pursuing crap ideas with "no-idea" :idea:
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

CAA

Post by ron freeman »

The CAA have a responsibilty not only to those that fly but also the general public on the ground ! After watching the show I was pleased
that they were grounded in the UK

You can't build a new flying machine with full media coverage filming on national TV with no flight testing of your new design ! then expect the CAA to endorse it !!!
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

The dodgy landing reminded me of the guy I saw with the paramotor buggy at Beverley the other week. The thing looked totally uncontrollable on take off and landing so I couldn't really see the point of having wheels. The advantage of wheels is usually to give you a crosswind capability, ie you can land and take off at greater than footlaunch speeds, but with a flexible wing you still need to be into wind so there's not really much point.

The flying car last night looked woefully underpowered. Couldn't get off the ground with two people and even one up on a hot day still ended up in a tree...
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

They probably thought Leonard Da Vinci should have been burned at the stake too but he was onto something :twisted:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... CCMQsAQwAw
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

though totaly untested and useless you have to give him credit for how not once but twice has managed to get full tv backing and sponsorship. having the right voice must open doors as i beleive he is all fir coat and no knickers. just because you have the right voice does not meen you have money.

what it could do though is get one of the big players out there like honda to make and produce a engine and unit that lasts and that would be good.

how about rejuvinating that flight accross to norway on a ppg from blyth

lets see what coverage we will get even landing on a ferry half way accross would not get you the coverage he has managed

as they always yous to say don't judge a book by the cover

cheers gary
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Try as i might, i cannot see a comparison between 2 toffee nosed twits with Etonion school ties and the grandfather of aviation, Leo D V?
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Try as i might, i cannot see a comparison between 2 toffee nosed twits with Etonion school ties and the grandfather of aviation, Leo D V?
Look harder Jim......They both had their own type of visions. Why condemn someone for trying to be different. I mean look at you......Yet I quite like you :shock:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Funnily enough I met the "friend" Alex, who happened to have an airfield in Spain whilst out in Brazil. He was out there as part of our group in GV. Actually quite a pleasant chap.

Alex runs a paramotoring school in Spain, and they used his airfield for some test flights. It was as I recall not quite "the first flight" as portrayed on the tv programme.

Apparently there was quite a lot of interest in the vehicle, mainly for its military purposes.....

Just think of this:- the frame on the buggy was mild steel. Imagine building it from titanium or the like, and halving the weight.
Getting a paraglider/paramotor wing designer to develop something that would actually work with the vehicle.
A purpose designed engine/drivetrain.
And then imagine how many of those you could build compared to the price of one helicopter.

Sad world that we live in...

You just need to have a little imagination.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

With a name like
Giles Benedict Nunez Cardozo you would expect extreme wealth behind him. But no is the answer just a heritage of fine breading i guess though there must of been at one time.

Why has he been so singled out in the ppg world for his accent and always put down as daddy’s rich boy so people just dismiss his efforts because of it.

Funny how we react even in the 21 century, yet if he had been one of the lads with a normal accent we all would be saying things like my god he is some boy and i hope this works out for him as he has something about him.

Yet though he has achieved a lot of publicity the wrong message is coming across.
What I would be doing is getting someone of normal standing with a normal accent that would not stand out. I mean how many ex sas or marines are pilots very few most of us are normal people doing normal things. But if you are to watch his programmes it is given the message that you need to be a marine to fly a ppg with a death wish.
If you want to sell to the masses then you need to make it look easy and show how you just take it out the car stick on your back and fly.
Though that would not get any viewings as most people though they don’t say it like to see people get hurt and injured, as it makes more exiting viewing.
Put that aside and his paramotors were still one of the nicest on the market and he is trying to push the sport to get higher efficiency and better quality.
Something that is very lacking and hopefully one day they will get someone like Honda involved as if i am not mistaken this is where Honda began in the 2nd world war, making the starter engines on planes and making the tools to make the engines. Now to be one of the best engines in the world!
Just imagine a paramotors that only ways 20kg with 60kg of thrust and 5 hours flying time without thermal with all the feedback of free flying and airbag technology? We all would have one as no longer would you need a hill you would opt for 2 litres of fuel to get off the ground then just free fly for the rest.

Hopefully one day this will happen until then we will have to put up with heavy underpowered unreliable machines that are far too expensive.

Cheers gary
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

It was great when his chum was poking around the engine

"Sorry but thats just crap engineering"

"TURN OFF THE CAMERAS"

I must confess I did hope the free drink they got at the sparkpug shop was laced with a good dose of LSD, note he did not drink it.

But I have to hand it to the privilaged prats, if they get this to the market I know one sale they have in the bag. I just thought they did not have a wing big enough was the main problem, oh and the fact that the SAS, Mountaneer, Business Man, Adventurer, Indianer Jones, Whaky Husband will get bored, if he has not already, and then Gylo will no longer have a test pilot. As he has already proven in the past he does not like to test his own flying contraptions, this might be a problem.

Oh

I bet there trying to use an IPhone for the onboard computer, navigation, tea maker, and auto pilot.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

I bet there trying to use an IPhone for the onboard computer, navigation, tea maker, and auto pilot.
:)) :))
I did see him tuning the engine with it, the second pot was running a bit rich.
Please dont buy one Gary, you gonna have a busy year this year as it is :twisted:
antobaird
Mingling

Post by antobaird »

John Wallis wrote: They both had their own type of visions. Why condemn someone for trying to be different.
gary stenhouse wrote: Why has he been so singled out in the ppg world for his accent and always put down as daddy’s rich boy so people just dismiss his efforts because of it.

Funny how we react even in the 21 century, yet if he had been one of the lads with a normal accent we all would be saying things like my god he is some boy and i hope this works out for him as he has something about him.
Well said.