Alicante

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Alicante

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

We are having a lovely time in sunny spain. 28'C great flying. The first two days at Palomoret with high pressure and an inversion. Nick has set tasks for us to challenge our flying and make things more interesting. Out to the bridge and back, then to the bar, then to big bowl below the peak, great.
Day 3 we went to Pena Rubia, post frontal, good cumis, but not near the small technical take off. The task was to take a photo above a castle at Bair 5km away and back. If the return was not on, open xc, but keeping to the valley toward Calpe. This was tricky as it was not down wind, more across, and the clouds looked better down wind. As i dont speak a word of spanish i kept to Nicks plan to be found easier, tempting tin it was. 2 hours later a measly, but very enjoyable 25ishkm was the reward for my toils. Rich got about 18-20k.
Cabo today, another hot one.
Congrats to Gary, good luck and well done brian for last year.
Cheers
Jim, Paul and Claire
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Cabo was great today with all flying. Tony from Ireland had 3 hours, and says hello to colin and Wendy, Nick says hi to all past pilots.
Claire got a couple of good flights in showing good technique on launch, nick remarked. paul and rich doing wing overs over the sea and tom topping up his air time with a good top landing in tricky conditions.
Big clouds inland but never affected us. No comps today, good job too. Only 5 more flying days to go with good forecasts, plenty of time for paul and rich to win a task.
Very interesting this year with nick working hard to make a good time for all, challenging at all levels.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well me and neil will be there from next thursday for a few days looks like you have been lucky again with the weather. great place for flying for topping up them hours. glad paul and clair aare having a good time as i was telling tham how good the place was.

cheers gary
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Hi all,
Yesterday we went to Hondon without Ron Don, which was off the hill. Most of us had a small fly down, with a swedish friend from last year, Per flying 15km with a really excellent flight in very weak marginal conditions. Well done that man.
Then Cabo came to the rescue and we all had a great time in the sun. Wing overs and spirals over the sea.
Today was Palomoret and no wind but plenty thermals. So Nick set a task of either base and xc via the ridge over the back, or El Cid and back.
Paul and I set off scratching taking lift where we could but it was too weak. Paul showing his scratching skills which won him the 5pm staying up task the day before. Im trying to learn from his ground handling, far better than mine.
After a break, ie bomb out, I got to base but was not high enough to glide to the ridge, so decided to try El Cid. A local hot shot, Guido, got there before me without losing height, i arrived very low with a positive attitude and a fair dollop of hope. It worked, vario screaming, and climbed past him to base. Then back to take off and too much lift to get down. Big clouds forming.
Great day, shame the xc wasnt on. I may give it a go tomorrow, but it has a 3-4 hour walk out!
Really enjoying the company of Paul and Claire, making the holiday special, lucky guy.
Totally different from last year with a new wing and a little more knowledge. Nick talked me into my first thermals one year ago and here i am trying to do stuff Chris, Gary and Ron don did last year, learning loads. A place for all levels.
I hope Gary and Neil enjoy good weather next week, fingers crossed boys. Just stay away from those roundabouts!
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Days 7, 8 and 9 we visited Carasecca, Cabo and Palomoret. We flew 7 different sites, flying all 9 days averaging 2 hours per day.
Ive now notched 100 hours post CP. Not bad at all, a nice way to extend the season in great company too. Hopefully Gary and Neil will have decent weather too.
Off to Mallorca next week with the family, just wondering if its worth popping the wing in? Has anyone flown there?
Cheers
Jim
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Jim Bittlestone wrote:Hi all,
Yesterday we went to Hondon without Ron Don, which was off the hill. Most of us had a small fly down!
Off the hill, small flydown???

Jim, you miss-spelt it, it's HORDEN :wink: :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.