Good news on this wet day.

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

peter r
Mingling

Good news on this wet day.

Post by peter r »

Good news for cross fell flyers and real ale drinkers. The Shepherds Inn re-opens today. It is to be run by the co-operative from Hesket Newmarket brewery.Such favourites as Doris'90th and Old Carrock Strong Ale amongst others from their fine collection. (beer) peter r
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

But I'm trying NOT to land at Melmerby every time I try an X-Fell ridge run :D :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Peter does it still do food? I might have a run out with the kids tomorrow we've had many a good time in the Shepherds after a day's flying.

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

There's a website too at
http://www.shepherdsmelmerby.co.uk/press_release.htm
Cheers
Jim
peter r
Mingling

Post by peter r »

Nice one Jim, as you will see on the link John looks like a very good menu.I like the free beer if you finish the mixed grill, but for the price you should get one anyway . Lets hope for more S'westerlies. Peter r.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

They have got decent opening hours as well!

All you need to do Dave is land there after an out and return to Appleby. :D :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Just returned from the said pub.....

There was only one other table being served and there were five of us. The food was excellent but took a long time coming. I'm sure it will get better as they get geared up. I had a chat with the manageress and told her to expect a rabble that carry large bags on their backs and hold their hands up either side of their heads when sitting around the table drinking beer.....She looked puzzled :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

I thought it was shut forever, I hate to see pubs close. Is this the pub for us incompetent pilots who can't get away from the hill or do we still have to go to Alston to listen to the skygods? :wink:
Perhaps us newbies could meet after in the Sheperds for a swift half to get our stories/ excuses straight :lol:
Cheers
Jim
MadDog
Chatty

Post by MadDog »

I may be wrong…….and when have I ever been right, some might say?
But, somehow I can’t see the Shepherds becoming a major watering hole for us again, Time has moved on, expectations have established new parameters; the new bottom landing field by general consent has become the grass that surrounds Alston….
And, absolution from sin?...yes…. but reduced brownie points can be had if you make it to the “Goal field”……
If you don’t know where this is, ask Wendy Patterson, she seems to spend more time there than most, no criticism implied, nor intended…Envy perhaps!
Anyway, as far as I’m concerned the Shepherds shot itself in the foot when It put the price of pasties, chips, and curried sauce up from ninety pence, to about a tenner…..treachery like this doesn’t go down well with me, after all, you can overcharge all of the Muppets, some of the time, and you can overcharge some of the Muppets all of the time…..But you can’t overcharge, all of the Muppets, all of the time……Now did I get that right?
What I am trying to say is that the Cumberland more perfectly fits into our game plan now…..and the Chicken and mushroom pie is exceedingly good….You don’t want to be mixing it with all those climbing snobs in the Shepherds do you?....its okay for Jim Bittlestone, he’s climbed Everest….He’s got the credentials….we haven’t….I find climbing the stairs to bed a struggle these days
I wish the Shepherd’s well….And for the good times that I’ve had there, many, many thanks, and for making the day for my dear friend JW, and Co, on Thursday, even more thanks ,but as for stopping there again after a days flying…
No thanks.
Last edited by MadDog on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennP
Regular

Post by GlennP »

Perhaps us newbies could meet after in the Sheperds for a swift half to get our stories/ excuses straight
I'll start a tab Jim. :cry:
You are only as good as your last flight........
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

That's it then, the Sheperds it is....
... for us young pretenders at any rate...
We can have a quick 10 mins or so creating a believable excuse such as "I had to get to work", (my personal favourite), or "it was a photo/video day", or another favourite, " I was concentrating on my pitching/rolling/ top landing technique today"
Another canny one I've used is "I was hanging back in case anyone needed a retrieve"
"Besides the food/beer/women were better in the Sheperds"
Get our story straight, knock back a swift half a coke for dutch courage, chin up, chest out, arrive en mass to the Cumberland with a bold as brass "Oh here you all are, it's all right for some, we were told yous needed a lift etc etc, besides the wind dropped/ blew out"
Attack is the best form of defence
It's all in the attitude, presentation and shear delivery.