How not to SAT!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

How not to SAT!

Post by AlastairW »

At the risk of pinching Andys (Sivboyo) thread, have a look at the video of someone on the final day of an SIV, atempting a SAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCB2gQv ... r_embedded

A classic example of how not to SAT.

The entry point of a SAT is the critical part of the manouver, you need to "spin" the wing at the point where it enters a nose down spiral. This is done by lots of weight shift and applying the inside brake further.

There are dire words of warning from Jocky about the consequences of over braking at the point of entry, resulting in a spin, needing a full stall to recover.

So most people are a little to gentle on the initial atempt - as in the video here.

Then on the second atempt people tend to be more agressive, often resulting in a "coconut", which is a spin from a SAT, with the wing on its side. Exactly this happens at 1:03 on the video. Far to agressive on the brake input.

Dont try this at home........ you need lots of height, lots of water beneath, and a recue boat as well.

Still, when you get it right, the feeling is amazing!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

stop please stop im getting a touch of the green eyed monster here (envy) (envy) (envy)
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

the reasons why acro is something to be learnt on a gradual basis, and preferably by your own knoledge and understanding and feel. speeking to top guys in sport years ago, i was told if your going to learn acro then you need to teech yourself, as when you start you already need to know exactly what your feeling and when and when not to react. watching richard who bought my peak also said the same when he was doing almost looping wingovers sats and spirals. like he said in a wingover you are changing weight break pressure and so many things in order to keep the wing presurised and the only way you can do this is by experience and feel.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Talk to Adam Ingrham at the weekend.....

He has been flying acro for over 8 years, and is pretty damned good at it.

Gary is right, the most important thing is "feel" understanding when you have enough energy in the wing to carry out a manouver, and when to stop.

Take a look at Felix Rodriguez doing a Rhythmic SAT to infinity tumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXspE7UuP5c

Once into the tumble there is very little input from the pilot, but what there is is critical. A little right brake at 1:27ish, then a dab on both brakes a couple of revolutions later.

And without the feel to understand the requirement for the inputs, you are toast.

Can you imagine just how much energy there must be in the wing???

And how big the wheelbarrow must be to carry his gonads in????? :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
antobaird
Mingling

Post by antobaird »

This was definately my most memorable flight ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILynFaun2NI

My coconut attempt (1:25) was bang on first time :o

My strategy was go for it properly (he who hesitates is doomed etc etc.) ...but I knew as soon as the RH brake pressure went to zero on entry that it had gone to s**t.

Then excellent SIV training came in very handy.
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

Nice one anto thats the way you do em 8)
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Bloody hell..

Post by ron freeman »

Bloody hell ! very nice chute though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oZ6xXK3jBs
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Nice moves Anto, you looked in real control there 8)
Very stable, I think Jocky mentions "text book", nice.
Jocky seems to give good confident instructions, does he wean students off the radio so that you can be more independent, or is this an end of the week oportunity to give something a go?
Also, is anyone going out in September?
Cheers
Jim
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

the problem with acro is the uk and ground clearance, i mean before you can sat you realy neady to know the point of spiral and if you dont know that then dont try it unless over water. taught myself in aneccy though at the time i was on a wing that i had spiraled 100 of times now i am no longer current. as you can see by the video if you dont know the point of spiral beware as the spin is dangerous, if you do then the worst is deep spiral in the -20+ms so you better be prepared. would like some day to master the wing over as this is probablt one of the hardest things to master before moving onto rythmic and helicopters etc.
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Coolio Dadio :home:

Excellent SAT ing. Looked nice and in control (apart from the begining bit !! :lek: :lek: :lek: )

Have already booked you in for next years LCC.
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
Mikey Harper
Mingling

Post by Mikey Harper »

I bumped into Jocky a few weeks ago up Catbells about to take his his 6 year old son for a fly. As they were strapping in Seb asked his dad how you start a SAT and the instructions seemed simple, concluding in 'then just wack it in'. I'm not sure who was at the controls 5 minutes later on...
antobaird
Mingling

Post by antobaird »

Jim Bittlestone wrote: Jocky seems to give good confident instructions, does he wean students off the radio so that you can be more independent, or is this an end of the week oportunity to give something a go?
It's amazing how Jocky seems to know exactly what's going on/gone wrong with a wing while radioing instructions from a boat 5000 feet below. "a little too much left brake on the exit" etc.

The amount of instructions are very much dependent on your familiarity with the manouever - to start with there's quite a bit of help on the radio but as you get the hang of it (whatever "it" is) eventually the instructions are stripped down to "ok then turn to face the lagoon then symmetric/b-line/spin/stall in your own time".

Yes - At the end of the Turkey SIV course you get a chance to try out whatever you feel up to!

It's a great course - just ask Jan or Chris who've just survived one!
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Cheers Anto, it's got to be a good thing to chuck your wing about with that much height with Jocky on a radio watching every move. You must learn loads about your wing by doing such manouvers.
I am still well within my safety zone, which is probably well within the safety zone of my wing. I think it is good to explore the limits as then you know where they are, what happens if you go past them, how to get out of tricky situations etc.
The more videos I see, the more confident I am that he will give good feedback and expand my own knowledge.
It's such a shame that it's not in the Alps where excellent first aid and Hospitals etc exist.
I have time off in September and October, can't decide whether to go to Spain in October or do an SIV course.
Cheers
Jim
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Jim...........Do an SIV. We learned a lot about our wings that we can apply to every day flying and which should help a lot for XC so you don't even have to think about your wing and just settle down to making decisions about where to fly. Well worth it.
Write ups photos and videos to come (including my SAT 8) ) and collapsing wing overs :???:
Feel the fear and do it anyway!