Stop Press From Heathrow Airport

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Stop Press From Heathrow Airport

Post by John Wallis »

The Wolf rang me tonight on his way home from SA and he's blown away all the pilots out there with an XC of 110KM. Pretty impressive Alastair.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

A fantastic fortnight, topped of by what is undoubtedly my best flight to date...

Friday 12th December, we were flying from Dasklip pass t/o.

The final day.

I had bombed on t/o the day before, missing a climb out from Koringberg, and just managing a top to bottom, so this was it.... the final chance.

We got to t/o at about 10:30.... early, normally we would not be on the hill until after 11. It was busy, as the African Open championship was starting on the Sunday, and there was a dozen or so comp pilots there for some practise.

No faffing today. Onto take off, lay out and off. Maybe a bit early in the day, as things were not working to great. Not another top to bottom!!! No. As I pushed out in front I got a gentle climb, halfs and ones, until I got level with ridge height. At this point an Omega7 came over to join my climb, and we climbed out together to about 3500ft... probably about a thousand foot above the top of the ridge. He then left and went back towards t/o. I pushed on up the ridge, maybe 3 or 4 k before the next climb, which was rising from the flatlands, rather than the ridge itself.

It got frustrating here, I could hear other members of the group reporting back at this point, having climbed out to over 4000ft, but I kept bumping against the inversion at between 3000 and 3500 ft. Push on.

I got to bumpy( a bumpy lump in the ridge, hence the name).... probably 20k into the flight, and finally got a decent climb out to nearly 5000ft. This had drifted me back over the top of the ridge, and so I was committed to entering the Citrusdal valley, over the back of the main ridge.

I had flown up this valley a couple of times before on the trip, and it never seemed to work as well as the main valley..... more broken climbs, and a lot slower, often just drifting in 0's and half ups. But I stuck to the middle of the valley and took what there was.

Other members of our group had also crossed over by now, and stuck to the Eastern side of the valley, effectively the ridge behind the Porterville ridge. I could hear Jocky on the radio talking to them. They were flying with a group of the comp pilots, and eventually I managed to spot them, really high (nearly 7000ft) and about 5k behind me.

Bar Stewards!!

But in fact the plan had not worked. I was heading north up the valley, and arrived over Citrusdal at about 3000ft. They were further East, and had to push out into the valley to get towards constriction, resulting in most of the gaggle going down. I could see them dropping in huge sink as they tried to push towards the valley centre, getting level with me, and then dropping out of the sky behind me.

I could not resist a little chuckle....

Push on to Constriction, the crux of the flight.

At the head of the valley it narrows considerably (hence the name) leaving a constricted pass with NO landing possibilities. I had got to the start of constriction at the start of the week, but was not certain whether I had enough height to get through. This time I again arrived a little low (Jock had said we needed 4000ft, and I was at 3300ft) But the final two comp pilots arived low, probably only 500 ft agl, scratching. I had the luxury of watching them mark the climbs for me, parked myself above the one going up quickest, and climbed through constriction to nearly 7000ft.

The comp pilots fell out of the bottom of the climb and landed..... everyone else was now on the ground.

It was about 1:30 at this point..... I had been in the air 3 hours, and mother nature was calling..... but fortunately I managed to avoid the need to pee....

Through Constriction. Virgin teritory for me, but the retrieve car had also just passed through constriction, and I had the luxury of chatting to Bernie Kelly, a top local pilot who was helping Jocky on the trip, and he was able to give me hints and tips on where to go.

Ahead I could see a town called ClanWilliam. Distinctive because there is a dam there which forms a huge lake, probably 20k long.

Having flown in SA last year, the Dam at Clan William was the Holy Grail, marking the 90k point on the flight. I could see it. I could almost touch it. And at that point I actually got quite emotional..... I had flown further than the members of our group (sorry Neil Anto and Tony!!). I had flown further than Jocky, and F**k it.... I had whopped a bunch of comp pilots as well!!!

And I was still at 7 grand, ground speed of 60k due North, and not bother ing to take anything less than a 4up climb!

Past Clan William, out over the main N7 road, and still motoring. But then the sea breeze came in, and instead of a SW wind, the wind started to howl from the west. Speed bart on, and park into wind, dropping the last couple of thousand feet pretty much vertically.

On the ground, and an immense feeling of total elation. 4:35 mins in the air, 106k flown, and a long drunken retrieve drive home......

One of the most moving experiences was after landing...... a group of kids came running up, followed by their father. Having seen kids on landing before, I was prepared with a bag of sweets, and handed them around to them all, 5 kids I think. I started talking to the father, he was probably a lot younger than me, but looked older than his years. I said to him " we cant understand how it can be Christmas" meaning with the heat and sunshine.... he launched into a lovely little speach about how lots of his friends drink brandy and wine on Christmas day, and get drunk, but his choice was to go to Church and give thanks for the year that had just passed. I was stood there with equipment that was probably equivalent to 5 years gross income for him.....

We are so lucky.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

fantastic flight, bet you can'y weight to get out in some of the damp what and snowy hills.

well done as for the others you big whimps been whopped by a 1-2

cheers gary
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Nice one Wolfie - was 08 the big year then or will it be 09?
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

The thing that is really pissing me off is that it looks like I have lost the tracklog for the flight.

I downloaded it after the flight on Friday, but didnt have a chance of uploading it to the Website.

My computer has crashed on the way home yesterday, and it currently looks like it will have to be reformated, meaning not only that I will loose the tracklog, but also all of the pics from SA.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

take it to a computer shop they may be able to hook up the hard drive to another computer to retreive the files before reformating.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

Stuff the Track Log Wolfie.....Flights like that are indelibley etched into the best computern of them all..Forever

VERY WELL DONE
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Lovely----Alistair reading your write up I was with you all the way
I even got a sweet on when we got low!! You will be able to put that flight under your pillow for many nights to dream on? I was sad to hear that Neil was not-- not with you. Knowing how concerned and collective he is, he would have been over joked? I think that is the right word for your achievement. He would have been overjoyed not to have been with you I have put a call in to our Neil to hear how he got on?

In the words of the Immortal Bard
You Jammy Bugger!!!! No Skill.

Well Done That Man
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

You are spot on Ron......

I was actually in two minds about posting this. I really did not want to seem like I was gloating or saying "I am the big pilot" or anything....

Ultimately it was a personal goal, and to a certain extent I wanted it to remain that... personal... but then you cant resist ringing John Wallis from Heathrow!!!

As for the other NHPC members, well you know them already, and I could not have asked for better companions for the fortnight. Better pilots maybe.... but not better companions... (sorry guys!!! could not resist...)

Neil Anto and Tony were at every stage graceful and magnanimous at having their asses whipped.....

Seriously.,.. you could not ask for better companions!!

And maybe we may even get pics of Neil wearing a condom..... The third night of the trip, and I laughed till I cried and could not breathe.... mind you, neither could Neil....
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Well done Ali.

Ali

PS Will you sign my flying suit at the next club meeting?
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

SA 2008

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Nice Flight Ali though I think you came home a couple of days too soon . I have just heard that Neville Hullet as flown his paraglider over 500km a new world rcord congrats to to that man.
Kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

was actually in two minds about posting this. I really did not want to seem like I was gloating or saying "I am the big pilot" or anything....
Yeah right :) Just as well it wasn't me I would have been onto the News of the World 8)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

http://www.xcmag.com/news/2008/12/1772/

got this email from xc mag today could of been you world record broken on sunday from where you were flying 507km
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Nice One!!
8)

Well done! Sounds and epic end to a great trip!

Speak soon
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Just for the record we all enjoyed getting whooped in such tremendous fashion? :) :o :oops: :cry: :P

As for retrieving the log file, try a Linux live CD, Just google it.

Alternatively I could have a go on the hill sometime soon?

Congrats again you earned it. :idea:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
antobaird
Mingling

Post by antobaird »

Yes - Well done Alistair! The Wolf flew consitently well all week and had already had some great flights before the big-un.

I was following along the same route behind Alistair on his 100k day but crash landed after 40k at Citrusdal (the first time I've been dragged along head first in a while) after the wind switched 180 degrees on my final approach (I think it's called the Chris-Little technique ? :wink: ). I dusted myself down to see a massive dust devil totally engulfing the trees at the end of my landing field. Um...I guess that must have had something to do with it.....

So as Alistair said, the conditions were rough and strong at times with sink that was just as strong as the lift so you really had to concentrate not to bomb out - even on the main ridge.

Porterville is an fantastic flying area. A great mixture of all sorts of flying terrain and conditions (strong and really-strong!)

The bit I'll remember most was "wooohooing" round-and-round with Alistair in a thermal, 7 grand above a 600 foot launch. What a view!

Congratulations again to Alistair - the well deserved champ!