hangliding did prove today it can be a high wind sport

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

hangliding did prove today it can be a high wind sport

Post by gary stenhouse »

well after a lot of waiting for us fledglings the weather never came good although i did ge a 5 minute exiting pg flight.

was wiring off the gliders today in 35mph winds including rony on my rio they all looked to be having a great flight although as the wind dropped only for a hail storm to come through and freeze the gliders with a good coating of snow.

another nice drive and some fine food and wine

cheers gary
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well feel sick now afer seeing watsons photos to be wrong twice in as little as a week, i do not intend to do it again. i will do what i used to. if its flyable somewhere else. get the the geer togeaher and leave and head for the flying site. so the next time the weather is to light at xfell then move o tailbridge and if to strong at tailbridge move to xfell.
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Exactly Gary, its amazing isnt it, everywhere can be blown out but you might still get a flight at Cross Fell. Mind you it can also work the other way, but in my experience, I've always rated Cross Fell when everything else is blown out. The track is the worst I've seen it since I started flying, maybe we should have a maintenance day when its not flyable.
It was a pleasant first flight of the year. (rulz)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

This is just ridiculous we decided not the go to our beloved Cross Fell because we thought the track would be snow ridden. We could see from Tailbridge that Cross Fell Great Dunn Fell was basking in sunlight and the tops were snow covered. It was very windy at Tailbridge and only the brave took to the air. To think the wind was paraglidable a few miles down the road is very painful indeed. It is the exact opposite of last week. The only saving grace to the day was the meal and the crack at the pub and Miller and me getting lost on the way home across the moors.

John your photos are great I just wish I'd been there to enjoy it with you.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Northern Lakes were also flyable in the afternoon for Para's. Managed a nice hour at sunset and didn't even get the glider wet for once. Happy new year to all you mad Geordies and best wishes for all your exploits in 2008.

However I should of stuck with my original plan and gone here, much more fun then flying at this time of year: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicre ... php?50,519
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Post by ron freeman »

John Wallis wrote:only the brave took to the air.
You wuss ! While your Topless Laminar was rigged & Maddogs were lying on the deck a Target 16m; a Rio15; and a Rumour 14m!! Were having a great time, yes the wind was top end 28-30 mph but it was smooth and not gusty. This site is OK to fly when the wind is on the fresh side, local knowledge from Trevor Birkbeck.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

RON Was trevor Birkbeck the guy flying the target and dont forget the topless Aeros Combat 2 which seemed to be having a better time than the rest
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

John Wallis wrote:John your photos are great I just wish I'd been there to enjoy it with you.

Well I did ring you twice John :lol: I was wanting to take bob's glider out and I wanted a trusty companion, then you chose the dog instead of me :^) I really thought you had better taste John.
:)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

You wuss ! While your Topless Laminar was rigged & Maddogs were lying on the deck a Target 16m; a Rio15; and a Rumour 14m!! Were having a great time, yes the wind was top end 28-30 mph but it was smooth and not gusty. This site is OK to fly when the wind is on the fresh side, local knowledge from Trevor Birkbeck.
That's me Wussy Wallis.

Winds hitting 35MPH cu nimbs coming through dropping snow and hail a high performance glider with a half inch of ice on it (finger) Quite happy to be a wuss thank you.

Live to fly another day has always been my motto and will continue to be so.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Cu-nibms ?

Post by ron freeman »

What 'Cu nimbs ' :lol: the cloud tops were no higher than 3000ft asl and only 1000ft in depth ? the wind was a steady 28-30mph most of the time thats why real pilots were flying ! Trevor Birkbeck was flying a single surface glider !!! so it was not that bad :lol: the sleet was due too the temperature -2 on the hill !

I am not a brave pilot nor is Alan Westmorland we are calculating pilots who don't mind the cold.... 8)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

What 'Cu nimbs '
The fact that you didn't see the towering cumulus off to the left when it was hailing is alarming 1000 feet deep my (mooning)
ron freeman
Seasoned

Hail stone now

Post by ron freeman »

Its very alarming that you think those cumulus were Cu nimbs :lol: