Who said last Sunday was blown out?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gordie
Regular

Who said last Sunday was blown out?

Post by gordie »

Check out the picture on Weather Jack (1/5/07)

http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjack/STARS.htm

Boomarang sport and balls of steel because yes it was blown out. The pilot 'Marra Martin' comments "I tuk off from t bottom o souter and it was shit, got spun twice trying to get abuv t hill but it was rit nice un smooth I up"
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Another statistic maybe?
:sor:
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

a cat has 9 lives you have to hope you carry the genes? :angel:
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

John Watson wrote:Another statistic maybe?
:sor:
Yep your right there John! Not clever. Those that turned back to the coast made the best PILOTING descision.
Stay safe.
Mike
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

John Watson wrote:
Another statistic maybe?

Probably not for a couple of reasons. Firstly Martin is a very good experience pilot who has progresses through various gliders up to the Boom sport. He therefore has very good active piloting skills and is able to deal with challenging situations that he might experience, for example he was flying in Aus when the two pilots recently got sucked up into the cu-nim he survived as he choose to land before it got to "necky".

Secondly he adapts to the conditions. On Sunday the wind was very strong and gusty, also high pressure so has a habit of trying to go round rather then over the hills creating strong comparisons. He only choose to fly as there were already two pilots in the air, how every they turned out to be fairly inexperience and Martin was astonished at how dangerously they were flying. Apparently they kept soaring along the top of Souther at ridge height and close in, a very naive thing to do when there is any chance of being blown back. Martin being much more experienced knew how obvious the danger of being blown back was in such a wind and choose to take off low down and stay well forward, this tactic also allowed him to connect with the wave and have a couple of escape routes away form the hill if he needed it. Interestingly when he got up high there was less wind and he found it much easier to penetrate.

So fly with in your limits guys and you should be safe, but remember these limits are different for everybody and don't get caught out trying to emulate some sky god!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Cu Nimbs & Spins ?

Post by ron freeman »

Flying wth Cu-nimbs, very strong gusty winds, spun twice, sounds great.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

Anyone know who the hang glider was? My guess is Gary Hume.

If the paraglider who took this was at 6,500ft the hang glider must be at least 10 grand. Where did he end up?
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Dave Hume wrote:Anyone know who the hang glider was? My guess is Gary Hume.

If the paraglider who took this was at 6,500ft the hang glider must be at least 10 grand.
And whats the base of the Airspace above there?!!!
But looking at the Photo Dave I dont think that that was taken at 6500ft he may have achieved that height but I rekon the photo is lower??
Cheers
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

If the paraglider who took this was at 6,500ft the hang glider must be at least 10 grand. Where did he end up?
Well, then Gary Hume should know how high he was, unless he had no instruments... Gary, how high was it? And where did you get from there?
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

Sergey wrote:

Well, then Gary Hume should know how high he was, unless he had no instruments... Gary, how high was it? And where did you get from there?
By the way, Gary Hume is no relation to me, is a much better pilot and as far as I know isn't on this forum.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

A good number of years ago I found myself in a very similar situation on Souther. A great hangy pilot (Chris Scammel) went on to take some of the most spetacular photos that I have ever seen of the lakes (these were published in Skywings last year, I think), never have I ever yearned to be able to fly a hangy than that very day.
To hear that it has happened again, on a day when I was pissing about on a lowley Peaks site, makes me want to reach for a fish knife and gut myself.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

A good number of years ago I found myself in a very similar situation on Souther. A great hangy pilot (Chris Scammel) went on to take some of the most spetacular photos that I have ever seen of the lakes (these were published in Skywings last year, I think), never have I ever yearned to be able to fly a hangy than that very day.
Que the music

http://www.ephinx.com/tvadverts/externa ... advert.swf
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Classic Steve!! Aye them wat days. It wer allways first up best dressed in our ouse.
That was my nickname st school-Hovis- Dont say Brown say Hovis!!
Cheers
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Well I didn't know it was Martin Sandwith at the time, but all I can say is that both he and the hangies were tiny specks in the sky when I looked up after landing. I would say the photo was not far off 6k because the view I got from 4.5k at roughly the same time - before chickening out -was MUCH lower. But still ace :home: :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

Dave Hume wrote:By the way, Gary Hume is no relation to me, is a much better pilot and as far as I know isn't on this forum.
Oh I thought you are brothers :))
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

[/quote] Gordie: He only choose to fly as there were already two pilots in the air, how every they turned out to be fairly inexperience and Martin was astonished at how dangerously they were flying. Apparently they kept soaring along the top of Souther at ridge height and close in, a very naive thing to do when there is any chance of being blown back.

I will hold my hand up to low experience - but conditions whilst wavy were not quite like that (for me anyway) - here's my flight log for the day.

Hmm I must get out more.............

-------------------------
Interesting day - should have been blown out but wasn't (not on Souther anyway). Distinct feeling that there could be wave about. Eventually walked up to top of ridge as almost nill wind, though had been quite breezy at bottom previously. Wind picked up so sat around for about 30-45 mins to get a "feel" for things, especially as no-one else about but I judged conditions to be OK so launched and pushed straight out in front. Immediate good lift and very cautious as only penetrating at maybe 5mph, but nice smooth flying with gentle thermals (high cloud making sun hazy). Good flying for an hour or so, a lot out front over Mungrisedale road. Very enjoyable. Blue & white wing (Sick & Wrong written on it) was maybe 100ft below me, only saw him after I launched, local but can't remember who. He launched and seemed to be enjoying flying in front of Sharp Edge and behind Souther - didn't fancy that myself even though I had good height a lot of the time and stayed out in front whilst lifty. Died off after about an hour or so and needed to stay in closer to ridge, however conditions were smooth with occasional light thermals to help. Eventaully got bored and side landed near top in perfect but very light conditions. Several hang gliders were laid out below but only 1 guy had been flying around in front of Souther. Plus 1 paraglider - orange/blue sport 3. Was intending to fly down to car and go home, but......
----------------

Launched and spent a long time close to top of ridge as still very light. But caught 1 or 2 thermals so decided not to fly down. Things started to improve again, and several hangies plus another paraglider (a Sport 3) launched. Started to get better lift out front and eventually got into what was clearly wave lift on North end, above and east of Mungrisedale village. Steady 1 up for ages, eventually decided that as I was making little forward penetration it might be wise to get speed bar on - this was at about 4200ft - still gaining height with speed bar on and steady though slow forward penetration - great!! However I was a bit worried - everyone else below me at that point - and it felt a bit bumpy, so slid off out to south east and gradually lost height. Then carried on enjoying smooth wavy lift at rather lower height. At least one paraglider and some hangies were well up at this point, maybe 5-6k but I didn't feel inclined to join them - worried about lack of wave experience. But it was dead easy to go up again - brilliant! Took a look at side landing at cars but definitely too lifty, so after a while just enjoying lift out front, decided time to get down and flew down to triangular landing field next to A66. Was followed by the sport 3 who turned out to be from Blackpool area. After walk back, enjoyed nice pint in the Mill. Ace afternoon, and some good experience gained!

Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Must learn how to use this forum thingy :sor: :sor: :sor: