I'm buying a new wing and would like feedback

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

I'm buying a new wing and would like feedback

Post by Neil »

I'm looking to buy a Nova RA or a sigma six.
Does any body have a nova Ra?
I know a few people with the sigma and they swear by them
does anyone know of a better wing?
I want safety with performance. that is a low end dhv2. 00) 00) 00)
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

boomsport going cheep ha ha

gradiant aspen 2
niuk artick

both 2 with great reviews but fo me weight range is as important for te right feel

cheer neil for sorting things n france

cheers gary
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Sigma 6 very much low end on the DHV rating but with good performance - whens the 7 coming out?

Ra - excellent performance although there are some who think it does not climb as well as you would like; have a look over the Ra thread on paraglidingforum. You should get a demo from Activeedge - if you do let me know as I would love a blast.

Aspen 2 - seems to be excellent, there are a few in Scotland and they are very competative, lighterweight construction than mine but there are plenty of Aspen 1s around with 100s of hours so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Skywalk Cayenne - a wierd one this but I flew against on at Tinto and it was GOOD. A fast wing with impressive performance, equal to the Icaro or an Aspen2

Airwave Mustang - not convinced about this one; they don't seem to standout at all, never tried one though.
My (Airwave) sport 2 was a 1-2 and was brilliant, every bit as good as a Sigma6 , never flown the Sport 3, maybe someone in the club with a large will let you have a go?

Have a test fly on a few wings, your welcome to have a try on mine - a large Icaro Ice, the more wings you try the better. If you do get a demo of anything can I have a go?
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

if you get a demo Ra let me know aswell, ive been thinking about getting one myself. :)
I HATE COMPUTERS
paramaniac
Mingling

Post by paramaniac »

Also to consider,

the Niviuk Artik - great handling in its class, which is where the top performing gliders fall down. Good safety, quite a low end 2. Excellent performance and glide (that's what Artik means in Inuit) We've had fantastic feedback from pilots flying them such as Steve Etherington who's just won the winter xcleague on one.

Info and demo available from: www.niviuk.co.uk

Alex.
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Why not fly 'em both and make your own mind up!

We have both demos available (shameless plug! Sorry)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

We have both demos available (shameless plug! Sorry)
Never mind the shameless plug just hurry up and get those Flytec 5020s back in stock there's a few more Geordies wanting one maybe 4 altogether.......Discount for bulk order who said that :dealer:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Sad Northerner
Regular

I don't know but......

Post by Sad Northerner »

Neil

choosing the right glider to fly is a very subjective affair, some like a wing that gives a lot of feedback whilst others would see the same wing as being 'twitchy', for instance. The ideal solution would be to fly all the gliders you are considering back to back, i.e. on the same hill on the same day as it is easy to be influenced more by the weather conditions than the glider characteristics.

There are, however, some basics rules that you can apply in order to make a more informed and safe choice and to protect your investment.
1. buy from an established company. Gradient, Ozone, Gin, Nova, Airwave and Advance etc have been going for years and all have very well established UK importers who, to my knowledge, provide a very good after service care.
2. Buy something with a track history. The Nova Ra sounds great but there always seems to be a hype before any new glider reaches the market...maybe worth waiting a month or two to let the dust settle.
3. Follow a designer with a good track history not a brand name. Although Advance seem to have managed this seamlessly, in fact they seem to have got better, in my opinion it is the chief designer who has the know how and final say on how a wing should be put together therefore the flying characteristics of a wing are more attributable to him than the company owner.
4. As already stated fly a few wings back to back. Get on the phone to an independent, i.e. 'The spliff and the bong' in Keswick, and ask them if you can test fly a range of wings on the same day.
5. don't assume that because a manufacturer has had a great open class wing that they are going to produce equally as good mid range wings....it just doesn't always happen like that.
6. Although it has been argued that the DHV process is a bit of a farce, e.g. gliders falling into the same category can have widely different handling characteristics, it does provide a bit of a bench mark by which to compare gliders. You should check the DHV report, for each glider you are considering, at the end of the weight range you'll be flying them. It is interesting to note here that there is a popular misconception that gliders are always safer when they are flown heavy, i.e. at the top end of the weight range; check a few DHV's and you'll see that this is not always the case.
7. Finally (and most importantly) by all means listen to all advice given, but, make your own mind up, you'll be the one flying the wing.

hope this helps

Ali
Neil
Chatty

Post by Neil »

Thanks for your help folks
I think the Niv Icepeak 2 is the glider for me :devil:
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Ali Guth

Post by ron freeman »

Ali, what's your thoughts on the 'Cen' certification ?
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Good question Ron

It seems to have some definite advantages but at the moment the paragliding fraternity seems to have stuck with the DHV......mainly due to political reasons.

The reason why DHV is more useful is not necessarily because it is better but because it is more widely used, it would be difficult for the layman to compare two gliders if they have been tested by two different means.

Often the best rating a wing can have is one gained through reputation, not necessarily a score sheet......this is only my opinion of course.

Cheers

Ali
Neil
Chatty

Post by Neil »

niv are sending me a hook to try on friday any one fancy a try its 100 to 130 kg ill have it for the wk end