Sunday Keswick Cricket Club Fly Down

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gordie
Regular

Sunday Keswick Cricket Club Fly Down

Post by gordie »

If you are around Keswick today then get yourself and glider up Lattrigg. Between 1 and 2p.m. We have been invited to give a display to a massive event on Keswick's Fitz Park.

In the morning the cast of Emmerdale are playing Carlisle United at football and then in the lunch break we fly in (as many compendent pilots as posable) and land on the cricket pitch. We are expecting around 5-10 thousand people to be there watching so should be a great spectacle. After this there will then be a cricket match involving top county and country players and when the first guy gets knocked out I have to fly in tandem with some Ausie cricketer (in full cricket whites) and land him on the pitch for his innings!

The event is to raise money for charity and is a great chance for us to yet heighten the great image our sport has in the Lakes. So if you fancy a pose and a damp glider then get yourself along. Call me on 07830281986 for more info.

Sorry for the late notice but the weather was forecast were looking crap. But as you would expect it is not as bad as expected. Yesturday flew from mid afternoon/evening at Bewaldeth which was good, so we are feeling optimistic about today! See you there
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Mission accomplished! About 20 mad aviators with nothing better to do on a Sunday (or desperate to avoid any D.I.Y.) turned up on Latrigg. After marching to the top we were chuffed to find a very light s/ se breeze...perfect. At 12.30 untill about 1p.m. we all launched off in varying degrees of forward launching competence! and were rewarded with a nice sunny, slightly thermic flight down. On arrival at the cricket pitch/ landing zone we were all met by a great welcome from the broad Cumbrian M.C. on the mic and a classic cricketing round of applause of the spectators. Various different landings were opted for from James Jackson wearing a furry elephant suit complete with dig trunk to me going for on wing over to many and having to call on a few skiing skills to keep me on my feet before I finally stopped.

A great day out had by all and yet more good p.r. for our sport. To top it off an hour or so after we landed its cu-nimed big style...........not nice weather for cricket! :))
John Wallis
Seasoned

:-)

Post by John Wallis »

Nice one Gordie! On the other side of the country in the Cheviots it was pissing down, hill fog, and headlights on. :(
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Paul Smith
Chatty

Post by Paul Smith »

dont know if anyone went to the coast but it did look flyable from seaburn. would have went myself but my wing is in areofix getting suped up for the weekend fly off. team cumbia ra ra ra. :D
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

We flew at Horden.... eventually. Didnt start working until nearly 4.... not enough wind
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Working

Post by ron freeman »

Working today Gordie, sounds like a good day. Due to the weather forcast
the coast was the only choice on the east side.

Had some good training on the beach (Cresswell dunes) you can't beat the smooth sea air for training.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
geoff wilson
Mingling

Turned out canny,

Post by geoff wilson »

Nice end to the day at Horden, the ground was a little soft under foot and

the dog poo was in it`s normal condition, but there was some good flying,

Chris Foster showing us all how it should be done, flying from just south

of the viaduct to crimdon and back twice! , rain stopped play about

6.45pm and Chris still flying in the rain (isn`t that a song?) :D :D :))
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Great day in Keswick, amazing how the weather varied in the space of 50 miles - pissing down leaving home yet nice and sunny over there.

Thanks to Gordie and Swanny for seeing the "variable confidence forward launchers" off. The fence just below launch was great fun :egrin:

Couple of pictures to follow when the web site's allowing them again.
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Me & Billy had some great flying at Tynemouth (Long Sands) Beach. See the photos. Flew the full length of the beach and back.
Good fun dodging the lamp posts!
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Hey Chris......Where did you get that Sepia film for your camera...Gives that sort of 'atmospheric' effect :))
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Didn't know you could get such good shots from a Box Brownie camera.....

Posted two picture to prove the sun did shine on Sunday.... in Keswick!
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.