Marske to Staithes Soaring With Peragrines

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

myerscouse
Chatty

Marske to Staithes Soaring With Peragrines

Post by myerscouse »

Who would have thought a humble piece of the North Yorkshire coast could be so dramatic. I have seen many a photo in the magazines of far flung places with dramatic Sea Cliff soaring, but few compare to this magnificant stretch of coast we have on our door step.
I would urge any compitant pilot in the right conditions to give this one a go.
SO, what are those conditions I hear you ask ?
Well, The wind needs to be quite fresh approx 15mph + from the NNE/NE sector. Preferably with the tide out.

Set up at Grave Yard (hoping not to return). Lob off and immediately right don't dither at takeoff, there is no lift here. Shoot straight across first gap onto main dunes , the lift will be there, let the wing do the work, you will soon be up above. Spend a little time here to get familiar with the day.
Then, move on down to Saltburn where you will encounter your first real obstical (which is to cross the large gap to the Pub),linger here long enough to top up as much height as poss, and whilst doing so press out forward. When at your max height turn and shoot the gap so you are effectively crossing slightly down wind.
Aim for the Pub front not behind as there are power lines there. It is suprising how low you can arrive at the pub, and still make it up the other side. Just have faith, you can always land on the beach if it does'nt all go to plan.
Assuming you have made the gap, the scratch up will be easy. Always keep half an eye on the power lines that lie just behind the ridge.
Time to relax, take in the conditions. It easy going now to to the summit of HUNTCLIFF , tho quite daunting if you have not been there before.
A great source of information on this flight is the Sea Birds. As you round each headland it is easy to get worried about rotor etc. But watching the birds and the way they fly tells you all you need know a bout the conditions that lie ahead.
Once above HUNTCLIFF things become clearer and you can see that the next bowl is likely to lift well and carry you to the next headland. You should now have plenty of height to glide all the way along Cattersty Cliff
and straight over the gap of Skinningrove onto Hummersea Cliff. Here again you should encounter good lift and a sigh of releif.
Take time on these cliffs and top up your height and assess the situation before moving on as botttom landing becomes very tricky.
Using the lift available you should soon have good height again.
Push on along the cliffs, past the The Warren and disuesed quarries. All the time staying where the lift is good to maximize your height as this is your greatest asset.
Time for another long glide, hugging the coast but taking the straighest line where possible to the outcrop of Staithes Harbour. At this point you could well be down low again. Here you have a descision to make. Either press out and go round the front of the Spur that guards Staithes or cut across. Thereby shortening your glide (chance of rotor)...Your choice. If succesful waste no time in crossing the harbour and onto the small cliff on the other side. where if things are good there will be nice lift...If not there is a SMALL area of sand you can land on if skilled !. But STAY OUT OF THE WATER.
Lift here maybe modest but constant and you should soon be up above again. Where you can move onto the next cove.
On Sunday this proved for me to be the crux of the flight at Old Nab
Where with little lift and the wind now in true North I pondered for a while the downwind dash onto the next set of cliffs.
Having poked my nose over Old Nab once too often I was caught out by rotor. I was forced to make a very risky downwind dash just clearing the surf for a nice soft boulder landing !
Having acted as wind Dummy for Ian Miskin, he opted for the much more sensible option of being rotored into a herd of sheep (nice soft landing)
As you can see this flight does have potential dangers, very condition dependant. BUT it remains one of my favourite flights to date with some of the most exhilerating and stunning coastal scenery you will ever see. On the plus side there are some excellent Taverns in the town of Staithes where it seems the use of Money has not yet become common practise. Many Thanks to the landlady of the Captain Cook Inn for trusting the two dummies who went flying without a penny in their pockets.
Watch this space for futher instalments...when the conditions are right....Staithes to Whitby :)
See Photo section for pics of the trip
Some years ago I did this flight but was somewhat more successful and made it to Sands End just shy of Whitby. I beleive the differance lay in the conditions of the day.
The wind was slightly stronger, Slightly more NE than NNE and on top of this sea thermals, these enabled me to gain enough height to make the larger crossings such as Runswick Bay safer, .........But Thats Another Story..
Last edited by myerscouse on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Nice Flight, Paul & Ian

Post by ron freeman »

Nice flight Paul, and like you say not for low airtimers.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Brilliant Paul!

Fantastic analysis of your flight....

I wish the grass had remained uncut...!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Great account Paul but the thought of doing it without decent top or bottom landing spots puts me off im afraid!! A number have ended up in hospital doing this run in the past so if your thinking of doing it take great care and remember the tide is in under those cliffs at least 3 hours ahead and after the published high tide times for Saltburn so there aint much of a time window to do it in and even at low tide there isn't much if any beach(rocks!) The accidents have occured with people being rotored in. Im not sure whereabouts as, is the norm in Paragliding, people tend not to report it and keep quiet so the rest of us don't find out. I think people see it, wrongly, as a sign of weakness to admit to an error of judgement. Any way im ranting again!!
Stay safe
Regards
Mike
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

A reasonable rant Mike! The bottom landing is none existent for the greatest majority of the coastline, and if you can land you may not be able to get out without the aid of a boat.

Fly very defensively if you chose to do it. Many parts of the shear cliff do have a rounded profile towards the top - if losing lift and descending to the level of the top I planned to land onto these slopes, by definition the winds would have been light and the rotor not a problem. I think the biggest danger comes in reasonable wind strengths - the ones where the full run is tempting. Rounding the wrong headland could result in zero penetration with marginal lift. This is a one way trip and is a series on committed legs, consider each leg carefully before making the move and don't gamble!

Having seen Paul’s landing area I opted for the top in a field behind a sharp cliff edge - these were light winds I still copped a bit of a flogging and it needed a little aerial kung-foo to make the approach for landing.

As Paul says one of my most memorable flights - folks would fly halfway across the world for that sort of thing........

:lek:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

and it needed a little aerial kung-foo to make the approach for landing.
:)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Looking at those photos there is not one that does not look like folly to me! Looking at each of those photos I could not help to wince.

:eeeh:

There looked times when you were to low for the top and with only water at the bottom :eeeh: And yet able to take a photo! Did you also manage a brew up for 11s's ?

Your balls are without doubt worthy of much praise Paul.

That is one trip I will not be taking.

PS

Very nice find, have you found out anything more about it?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

And bear in mind this Lad had just Kite'Surfed the day before from South Shild to Redcar Long sands 50kZig-Zaging down wind.
And the weekend before that at Liverpool Kay and Paul had ran a half Marathon 5.000 entry Paul was 107 Kay Just behind not bad Ea!!!!!!!

RonDon :dealer: :dealer: :dealer: :dealer:

Some Good Stuff in the NHPC.
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Ahhh Dad Thats embarassing :gu: