Spring Summer Autumn 2007

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Spring Summer Autumn 2007

Post by John Wallis »

OK we are all bored to death there has been no flying for what seems like forever but looking to this coming year has anyone set any personal targets?

What about having a think and setting yourself a target for the coming year instead of just turning out and frigging about on the hill.

Be a little brave and post what you would like to achieve this coming year and maybe we can look back in the autumn and see how we have done. Don't be shy and say what you would like to achieve from as little as a top to bottom on a particular site to a big XC. If nothing else it might make good reading to a forum that is dead at the moment.

I'll start the ball rolling myself by saying I'd like to XC the arse of the likes of Stenhouse, Forster, Miskin, Wolf, Donaldson, Mad Dog, Maltby, Watson, Little, Day, Scousers, Fingers, Scott and the rest of those para creatures. In reality I'd be glad to get some height above the top of the hill.

But I think I'll set my target as being in the top five OLC for 2007 (NHPC).

Don't be shy post what you would like to achieve in the coming season and see how you do by the end of the year.........It's healthy to have a target it's something to aim for.

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

I could always aim to outfly you John, but frankly top to bottoms are not my scene.......
:D

Inteesting challenge.... I remember you asking me the same thing last year, afte a promising day on Cross Fell.

What I aim for is a decent flying year.....

A chance to compete on a level playing field.

I feel sharp... Brazil was a huge learning experience. Ali G has always said that if you want to fly big distances then the North is not the place to be. I am certainly planning a few trips down to the Mynd.

The skygods will always do well... AliG and Misk. Flying the glider is only 5% of xc flying. As is the type of glider you fly.
Strangley enough you also fall into that category John.... you haue the experience and skill to fly big distances!

Heavvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvven..... beating AliG and Misk.....

Reality...... somewhat less..........

You want a straight answer??? I am a lawyer... you will neuer get one....!

PS... Alexander has spilt a can of coke ouer the keyboard....... the vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv key has stopped working, and some of the others are suspect.....
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

A good XC flight from the cheviots, or the scottish Cheviots! "you know where I mean Bob"--- I would also like to complete or win the cheviot challenge that Wallis has got people wound up about.
Doing an XC right across the Cheviots would do, I also want to get more airtime in this year
00)
And I want to improve my ground handling in higher winds, (not that I really want to fly in higher winds) but most of all I want to have a safe year and some happy memories.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i have no great plans to be going out trying to beet an individual unless with a stick. my goals our, out to beat myself and to improve, and if this turns out to be at the top then fine, if not then it does not matter. from the wise words of mad dog you have not been beaton by someone if you our not on the same hill at the same time. as the true level of how good you our is if you are always flying the furthest on the same hill on the same day or thermaling the highest. if i do not fly farther than 50k this year then i will be disapointed but this will only happen if i can get to the right hills on the right day, and with that i am sure i will. but realy i expect to break the 100k mark if i can keep up the staminar. but i am not sure wether or not i am ready to fly such long distances due to concentration and fitness. above all else is to fly safely and to get better and to fly with other top pilots to get me there, as i am sure this is what i will need in order to proggres further in my limited experiance.

am i competitive yes, and i dont like been beaton unless it is ali g.
as for the rest we are more on a level playing field so it makes the competition side more exiting.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

To continue to enjoy flying, no matter what the day brings, a top to bottom, an xc, a huge height gain, or just a walk in the hills and a chat with the lads. The 'Chill factor' :psst:

I set a target for this year of 100 hours, cut short by a measly 4 hours because of the weather the last few weeks, :( but still with 1 week to go.)

So this year,,,,,,quality, not quantity! I have to work this year, unlike most of last year. :sor:

A decent xc flight in;
The Cheviots :)) (No, stop it, you'll upset Ron)
The Lakes
The Dales
The Peaks
The Mynd
Scotland
And one really good height gain
Ambitious?
But what ever happens, I won't let a target like this cloud the mind or spoil the enjoyment :beer: :beer: :beer:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

XC's in the North

Post by ron freeman »

There is no big secret in flying XC, big ones or little ones it just takes confidence to leave the ridge and go for it ! each time you try you will fly futher & futher.
Most Big XC's are acheived by careful planning, extreme determination,
and most of all being in the right place at the right time.

My goal this year 100mile flight from the Cheviots HG or PG :beer:
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Just checked my diary Ronnie..... it isnt April the first is it????

Ok.... If you do a 100mile open distance flight from the cheviots this year, I will sponsor you for £1 a mile to the charity of your choice......

Verified by GPS trace.
Misk
Regular

!

Post by Misk »

I think his finger slipped on the 0 button - must have meant 10 miles?
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Or maybe 1!!!!! Joking Ronnie!
Thermals a Thermal! It doesn't know wether it's over the Mynd or the Cheviots. Right place right time and the bottle and away ye go!!
Cheers
Dave Hume
Chatty

Re: Spring Summer Autumn 2007

Post by Dave Hume »

John Wallis wrote: I'll start the ball rolling myself by saying I'd like to XC the arse of the likes of Stenhouse, Forster, Miskin, Wolf, Donaldson, Mad Dog, Maltby, Watson, Little, Day, Scousers, Fingers, Scott and the rest of those para creatures. In reality I'd be glad to get some height above the top of the hill.

But I think I'll set my target as being in the top five OLC for 2007 (NHPC).

JW
Well that's easy John. Just fly your hang glider instead of your paraglider, but why are you looking at this OLC scor c****. Just go for real distance, not made up scores like that.........