is there any hanglider pilots in the club anymore that fly?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

is there any hanglider pilots in the club anymore that fly?

Post by gary stenhouse »

well moneylaws this morning was nothing short of epic but with just a little bit much wind though maybe not. however for a HG it would have been perfect and to be fair the sky was so good early on you would of been at base quicker than rigging your glider. still us paragliders had a joly nice day with interesting wind changes at different levels as you will see from are flights.

hope others got flying elsewhere and would be nice to see a few HG out with us sometime
steve-gill
Chatty

Post by steve-gill »

Yes Gary, but not many. Don't know about Cheviots but Dave Hume and me fly Carlton and Tailbridge, although Dave doesn't get out on weekends now.
I was out at Model on Sat, so couldn't make it out on Sun. It was actually quite light and nearly went down ( 2 other HGs bottom landed) No PGs were out.
[6 hour walkout](Brian) I think I would just dump the hanglider there and leave it.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

don't forget steve £200 for the first pilot to fly 100k out of Northumberland and sure if you had been there Sunday you would have done it.

mind as long you have a spot I think there would have always been a glide to some trail or track to get your glider out if you were to land out.

cheers
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

check out

Post by ron freeman »

Check out the ordinance survey charts there are plenty of roads all over the place Steve + there are loads of good 4x4 tracks no problems there. Our club should be flying this side of the Cheviots more often there is huge potential for some great flights.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
steve-gill
Chatty

Post by steve-gill »

Yes, must get up to the Cheviots some time.It was always great to fly over on the microlight. So whats the best sites for distance potential?
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

moneylaws for sure or hownam
ron freeman
Seasoned

Don't forget

Post by ron freeman »

Don't forget Windy gyle, it's a bit like the Crossfell terrain with huge out and return potential 8)
steve-gill
Chatty

Post by steve-gill »

Where's Windy Gayle Ron? What wind directions does it take. Couldn't see it on the site guide.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

the last time people flew there was over 9 year ago and access was a problem from memory. you go through kirk yetholm 2 mile and turn left n a 6 mile road then its a bit offroad to take off
ron freeman
Seasoned

Last time

Post by ron freeman »

The last time people flew there Gary was last year me and 2 students. The site takes north west, west, and a bit of south west Steve, great, 4x4 track to the top. 1700 asl. one mile long ridge with the Cheviot West face at the end of it ! You take the road past hownam law and continue to Cocklaw foot and the 4x4 starts from there. Well worth a look Steve. In a n.west it would be possible to fly down to carterbar and back in the right conditions with a hang-glider Steve.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I did not know we had open access to this site and you needed permission to go there? if this was made available then I am sure pilots would go there and fly. or is it a hanglider only site?
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

ong it was 9th of November 2006 and me and brian got there late but steve marshal and mad dog had a good fly
http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/modules.php ... ghtID=1009

fingers flight

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/modules.php ... ghtID=1006