WANT

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Andrew Maltby
Regular

WANT

Post by Andrew Maltby »

In general aviation and commercial flying mnemonics are used a lot to help remember procedures and memory checklists. Here's a useful one that we can use wether we're about to leave the house on a flying day or on the hill getting ready to get airborne:-

W-weather. Have we fully checked the weather forecast and how does it compare to the day.

A-aircraft. Is all your kit set up and ready to go, have you done a thorough pre-flight?

N- Notams. Is there any restrictions on where you want to fly today, not just airborne but site restrictions or unusual things to look out for about the site.

T- threats. This can include how do I feel today? Is my experience level up to flying the conditions etc?

You could even go through a WANT check with your flying buddies for the day and keep each other safe.

Do you WANT to fly!
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Simple but effective I like it.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Cheers - nice quick and easy way to buddy up with someone and agree or disagree if it's safe to fly.

So to fly or not to fly - that is the question. But the answer on the day is perhaps a bit more complex? If it's clearly good to fly then great everyone launches. If it's completely blown out then nobody should launch.

But I suppose the tricky bit comes when conditions and the forecast are borderline and some pilots decide to launch whilst others remain grounded - still hesitating - but now maybe influenced by the others decision to fly.

It all boils down to the individual competencies and risk perception at the end of the day - but would we ever have a culture where one pilot says it's ok for them to fly but advises others not to? ie Don't follow me - follow your own level of experience....

Or will the day ever come when pilots are visibly categorised according to their level of skills and experience? Like ski slope ratings? Or martial arts belts?

Black - for top notch comp class elite
Red - for over 250 hrs and advanced xc / acro etc
Blue - 100 to 250 hrs
Green - 50 to 100 hrs
Yellow and so on?

Probably not - but just some food for thought on a wet and windy winters day to generate a bit banter 😃
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

But I suppose the tricky bit comes when conditions and the forecast are borderline and some pilots decide to launch whilst others remain grounded - still hesitating - but now maybe influenced by the others decision to fly.
But you're in charge of your own flying and the decision is ultimately your own. Personally if I don't feel happy with the conditions I don't take off, simple as that and I couldn't give a toss if others think I'm a wimp.

It's kept me safe for 35 years.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I dont think you could put a tag on any 1 flier as there are too many variables.

You could have someone who has done a 100hrs in the last 12month but all coastal flying, stick him in thermic conditions and the effectiveness of his experience in flying is reduced because of the unfamiliar situation he is being presented with.

The example's you give Graeme dont really equal our sport.

Ski Runs - Unless there is a major geographical change to the slope the slope stays the same, so its a physical object that has been graded.

Martial Arts - Obtaining levels of ability a bit like BHPA's pilot scheme CP, P, AP

As we all know just because we passed a driving test doesnt make us safe or fantastic drivers.

Many factors impede on how good a pilot is. Currency,hours,range of conditions to name a few.

The other thing is if you label a pilot with ability there are people who will use the label to decide if they can fly instead of making their own decision.

And who would a labeling system be of use to Your red and black know they are red and black already and dont need a label and those fresh out of school know they are yellow so really who is left?

:) :) :)

07824 554735
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Oh well that's that idea well and truly dumped 😃

It was just for discussion and only occurred to me as I considered some of the several borderline influences on pilots deciding to fly or not to fly. I notice North Yorks club categorise their sites suitability according to hours flown - Sutton bank 200 hrs, Carlton 15 etc so I suppose there's some merit in the idea generally speaking.

Overall I agree with John - an individuals decision not to fly is just as important - and competent - as a decision to launch.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

The lakes also do the same I think cloudy says about 50hrs, and my very first experience of it was a bit hairy it was my first inland thermic site I had about 60hrs nearly all of which on the coast and a few hours on cross fell. Tailbridge is classed by most as suitable for all levels but on a very thermic day can be quite nasty. Sutton bank? Do they fly that on paragliders? I think historically they wanted experienced pilots only on there to keep everything right with the gliding club seeing as they would be mixing it up with the sailplanes.

I'm not deliberately trying to rubbish anything. It just seems like your asking for clear lines in the sand unfortunately as you experience different things it's like that tide coming in and messing it all up again

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Please if any of the experienced pilots in the club think I'm talking bollocks please speak up. :D

07824 554735
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

Idea's on safety should be welcomed how about a sticky for the best of them,
* Andrew's mnemonics
* the Pod cast and others that are useful listening
* other clubs safety cards
* videos

livetrack24 GordonC
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Hi gordon

All in good time. I can guarantee you everything will have a home before it disappears off the first PUB page.

07824 554735