Club Competition 2015 and beyond

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Club Competition 2015 and beyond

Post by John Wallis »

As we seem to be incapable of agreeing a date or being able to find time to attend this ancient club event in order to keep it going and awarding Ye Olde Club Champion Shield at Christmas I have a suggestion.

For 2015 make the whole of September club comp month. The best flight done by a club member on NHPC sites using your GPS log. You can have as many attempts as you like and best flight stands. Next year we could pick April May June or whatever's best month and do the same format.

It's obvious that the format needs changing or it's not going to happen!

If you can't manage to pick a date from a complete month I would guess it's not for you or there's no interest.

I've ran this past Gary and he thinks it's a good idea.

What do you think?
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Perfect.
Helen Hurst
Mingling

Post by Helen Hurst »

Sounds good. I think we should go for it.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Sounds good!

But can the club also consider some other fun type comps that lower airtime pilots can compete in equally?

The grasmere show highlights how accuracy and height gained, highest altitude comps etc are well attended, have a good day and are inclusive to all.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Brian Nellist
Chatty

Post by Brian Nellist »

Sounds good john we've got the rest of the month for all to have a go !!!!
Trying to fix a date in advance with our glorious English weather
Well It's almost Impossible !!!!!! :twisted:
Cheers.
Brian. 075403610ninenine

Aka the caretaker

Always keep your feet firmly on the ground, even when your heads in the air.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

Great idea had not realised this was posted as posted in comps
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

I agree Graeme a fun day would be good, not just a up and away day

livetrack24 GordonC
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Gordon you could have won the comp last weekend from what I heard up up and away :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

All of theme Ideas sound good to me.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Annual Club comp

Post by ron freeman »

The annual club comp was for all members who wish take part and would like to learn what can be achieved through competitions, the atmosphere on the hill is always electric and great to be part of.

This new format will lose all of the above and the lower airtime members will lose out from mixing with more experienced pilots within the club competition environment.

This will also be a huge advantage to members who can pick the best flying conditions due to having more leisure time than others so this can't be called a 'Club comp' also how do the lower airtime pilots take part ?

I could easily go along with the new format with having a bit more time than others but I don't think this is a fair situation for all of our members.

I would call this a XC comp if you have the ability to take part but then that is what the Club XC league is all about..

Just my thoughts.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

had not realized this was posted as posted in comps
I also answered the post in comps before seeing this thread.

I agree with Ronnie comments there definatell is nowt like a good club comp. but unfortunately I can count on one hand the amount of times we've had one in the last god knows how many years.

I don't think it should be a permanent change well at least not until it has been debated properly

but as the year is quickly running out. So it has my vote for now

so what are the rules???

Gary mentioned something about making it triangles ????

that would make it different from just scoring distance
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

The annual club comp was for all members who wish take part and would like to learn what can be achieved through competitions, the atmosphere on the hill is always electric and great to be part of.

This new format will lose all of the above and the lower airtime members will lose out from mixing with more experienced pilots within the club competition environment.

This will also be a huge advantage to members who can pick the best flying conditions due to having more leisure time than others so this can't be called a 'Club comp' also how do the lower airtime pilots take part ?

I could easily go along with the new format with having a bit more time than others but I don't think this is a fair situation for all of our members.

I would call this a XC comp if you have the ability to take part but then that is what the Club XC league is all about..

Just my thoughts.
So what do you suggest Ronnie as the year is almost finished...........
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

i think we do as much as we can posting where we are going to fly and others want to come and join in low air and hi airtime.

what you have to ask is it a club completion or if not lets just do the comp at the club BBQ and pick straws and the longest =one is the winner.

or do it at the agm where no one turns up? this year has been shite and there has been very few flying days and to be fair I don't think that many are interested.

however Ronny this has partly been done for you as now you cannot say you cant take part :D

the next few days may allow Northumberland to get some flights in and given your there all the time you have the biggest advantage :shock:
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Nhpc comp

Post by ron freeman »

Here we go.. the Wallis & Grommit attack. ! don't drag me into something that's not been thought out and you did ask for members thoughts. Yes your also right to mention the season is coming to an end so whats changed Its been like this for a long time now and no wonder members have lost interest. Thanks Bill Scott for the comment 'Nowt like a good old club comp ' shame more don't see it that way.. and I do think there is still time to have a proper club comp
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

the title at the top of the thread is club comp 2015 and beyond.

as Ive already mentioned I love a club comp there great fun but are difficult to organise and rarely happen.

also as Gary has mentioned there really isn't much enthusiasm which makes it doubly difficult

so as the year is quickly running out I think compromise!!!!! has to be the order of the day

so how about we forget about the and beyond bit for the time being

we could still try to get a comp in but if it doesn't happen we could do as suggested and take the scores from Sept to decide who gets the trophy

this would not be a permanent change but just a back up to avoid the trophy gathering dust for another year
I HATE COMPUTERS
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Many valid points here but I feel we are hearing too much of what it used to stand for and how it used to be from some of our longer standing members instead of what we want it to be from our most likely participants. It's no good holding a competition that no one wants to partake in. It maybe the case that everyone wants to keep the original format but without voices herd how can we know that. Unfortunately this club is well know for not being very verbal till you wind someone up.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Ronny it is not a dig at you but you do always have something to say that rarely helps a club get a club comp going like 1 day a month only.

this is not helpful when you live in the UK and the weather is unpredictable, and the only way is often last minute.

2005 if I am not mistaken was called last minute and there must of been 50 people turned up at cross fell, though at the time there was 100 members not 55.

the xc league in the club was none existent so the club comp had more meaning and the web site was in its infancy.

there is many factors about the club comp back then but it was not a task for a beginner by any means it was a task meant for experienced pilots with all to have a go.
so few pilots in the club that interested in the whole xc comp seen which is fine but with this you cant really expect to get a big comp going.

are club bash is very well supported so we have something right so I guess you cant win them all.

I still think this years idea is a good one until we can get something together for next year.

however I don't think that many other clubs have a single club comp any more.

cheers Gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Just my thoughts and as you know I don't like competitions the thoughts are not based on personal preference as so many others are.
The lack of comps over the last few years has been because those that shout loudest will only compete on the best days when distance is the goal.
The lack of comps over the last few years has been because of the restriction of available dates.
A competition day is enjoyed by a lot of people and should be aimed at catering for a lot of people and not just those that want to win by flying the furthest. This is plain to see from last weekend at Grassmere.
The club membership has become blinkered by the ambition to fly xc, although there is an emergent group who seem to be just enjoying their flying, these people should be the focus of the club competition, there are enough competitions out there for the xc flyers to participate in if they want to.
I think the future of the club competition is with this emergant group of pilots who are enjoying their flying, attending training days, going to events like Grassmere.
So the gauntlet is down, block your ears and don't listen to criticism and demands for excellent conditions and the person that flys the furthest is God, pick a date, pick a site, and go for it, have a great day and enjoy the club competition.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

so are we saying we have a club comp or do we for this year go for best score for 1 flight on Northumberland site?

also longest duration Northumberland site best single

height gain Northumberland site.

this could be a good way for this year as a novice can easily have longest duration or height gain.

longest distance does not give always best height gain or duration so will give a good easy way for all to have a chance of scoring.

failing that we stick with club comp to be forfeited and end up doing something rash to get it done or not even handing out a prize
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

If we are aiming at all levels I've found out front challenges the most rewarding if although it would be slightly more difficult to score I reckon if yo took the distance travelled along the ridge x distance out front x altitude gain it really could be anyone's ..... I would be willing to score such a task from tracklogs
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Sounds good john we've got the rest of the month for all to have a go !!!!
Trying to fix a date in advance with our glorious English weather
Well It's almost Impossible !!!!!! Twisted Evil
Brian just about sums it up!

The initial post using the month of September to try and get a competition of some description was met pretty positively by our standards.

We had

Brian Rowe
Helen
Eddie
Graeme Stephens
Brian Nellis
Gary
Me
Gordon
Ron Don
Bill Scott

Taking into account what the lower airtime guys have said we should manage something.

Gary will post a simple scoring system if some pilots want to try maybe a triangle an XC ridge run or whatever and the guys who feel more comfortable going for height and or duration or upwind from the ridge this can work for both and maybe pilots can push themselves a little more to try and get a result.

Competitions even small ones like this are a great way of improving you flying skills and a great way of building confidence.

I hope all members will give this a go in some way and post on here how you do on the day.

Cheers

JW (Over to you Gary)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Comp

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

I'm no sky god but know that we don't have enough of these days on the hill as a club for a bit crack and catch up and a bumble about so the more weekends its proposed on the better in my eyes, we have had a pretty dire summer I'm surprised if the club has anyone that is current at the moment. Lets open it up a bit and if you can't make it that's tough, I work every other weekend work shifts have a young family so the odds are stacked against me but I still try, without complaint.
Cheers
Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Just my thoughts and as you know I don't like competitions the thoughts are not based on personal preference as so many others are.
The lack of comps over the last few years has been because those that shout loudest will only compete on the best days when distance is the goal.
The lack of comps over the last few years has been because of the restriction of available dates.
A competition day is enjoyed by a lot of people and should be aimed at catering for a lot of people and not just those that want to win by flying the furthest. This is plain to see from last weekend at Grassmere.
The club membership has become blinkered by the ambition to fly xc, although there is an emergent group who seem to be just enjoying their flying, these people should be the focus of the club competition, there are enough competitions out there for the xc flyers to participate in if they want to.
I think the future of the club competition is with this emergant group of pilots who are enjoying their flying, attending training days, going to events like Grassmere.
So the gauntlet is down, block your ears and don't listen to criticism and demands for excellent conditions and the person that flys the furthest is God, pick a date, pick a site, and go for it, have a great day and enjoy the club competition.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

brian day wrote:The club membership has become blinkered by the ambition to fly xc, although there is an emergent group who seem to be just enjoying their flying, these people should be the focus of the club competition, there are enough competitions out there for the xc flyers to participate in if they want to.
Well said Brian.
Live life like you mean it.
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

Here's my two pennies worth, for this years club comp it should be Gary's call after all he was good enough to volunteer to organize it and we did vote on it.
As for Beyond, should it not be a day for all club members those flying and those not, a chance to promote the club and involve families, we have a number of comp trophies to give out, so here's a chance to rethink the club comp. This idea may not even be possible as it need's a bit of cooperation from land owner's and will probably only work on two site's, but here we go.
Aiming it at a family day it needs to be a fixed date with a number of attraction's, music, food then the flying:
ground handling demo with a chance to have a go
tandem demo with a chance to have a go
spot landing comp
triangle distance or targets crossed
xc comp -- if those flying have spot tracking it may be possible to piggy
back a wifi signal and have the flight displayed on a lap top.

It may all be a bit much but then it may be a good laugh !

livetrack24 GordonC
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

ok this is what I believe we should do as the back up plan is to go ahead with the September option

best height gain
duration
distance

your position gives you a number and the one with the least points wins

however this will overwritten if we get the chance to pull off a club comp of a family based fun come real comp if possible. this will be every Sunday until it takes place and if it does not happen we go back to the above proposal.

the only criteria is to have it on a Northumberland site and long as it is not raining or too windy we just go for it. if that day can only produce a ground handling comp a spot landing or even duration then so be it.

I think this could be a worthy day and who knows after the club BBq could be a interesting day for it.

only one thing on ground handling no more than five people allowed on ground crew as we don't want john (aka mad dog) taken away all the prizes
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Agreed Gordon, we voted yes to Gary's proposals so stick with that for this year. if the weather allows and we get a chance I'll give it a go and participate to the best of my ability for the experience and a good laugh.

But looking forwards to next year a family orientated fun based day could be a great opportunity to make an NHPC annual event day.

For example - East Hill - the foundation site of NHPC :) Would the farmer accommodate us? Allowing club members and their families to hold a relatively small gathering of say 30 to 40 pilots and their families inviting local community leaders etc to visit us and see what we're all about?
Groundhandling, boating around, height gain, accuracy would all be possible from here as well as having a tent for bbq and refreshments, socialising etc. I wonder if the farmer would consider renting out a small area of land to us overnight (eg where we park the cars) so we could camp out and make a weekend of it say from 12 noon Saturday to 12 noon Sunday?

Of course weather and wind direction would be the key for the paragliding side of things but with west hill just over the back it his area could facilitate more opportunities for flying than just SE to SW. Even if it's blown out and or washed out - just like LCC / Grasmere - we go for it anywY and have a laugh.regardless?

It's just an idea to generate debate but if it is a possibility and we kept it simple and self sufficient it could be a great way to have a good annual club day out that includes all levels of pilot and their family.

Rather than put all the responsibility to organise onto just one or two members perhaps a club annual event team could be set up? I'd be more than willing to help in anyway I can.

Xc comps could still take place as and when on an up and away basis as and when the weather allows.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Pairs

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

How about we have a pairs comp if there is a good turn out, all the experienced pilots in one hat , the low air timers in another , one drawn out of each hat so you know who yr buddy is, the idea being is that the sky gods have a duty to encourage/advise/motivate/guide the low air timers over radio (we all have them) and the best points total per pair wins, oh and should be a lot of fun.

Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

will bring the leg brace graeme :D
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

Its great to see some creative juices flowing some great ideas for the future here .

But as for this year I totally agree with Gary's last post. lets have a comp if we can first Sunday with suitable weather.

if by say November it hasn't happened then the back up as already stated

as chairman I would say the decision on format where and when should totally down to Gary. he is the one who has taken on the comp job so we should wait and see what he comes up with and just do it .

this thread has gone on far to long and we run the risk of going round in circles

so lets just see what Gary comes up with give him our support and enjoy it

P.S. what Brian said excellent
I HATE COMPUTERS