club competitions do we realy want them?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

club competitions do we realy want them?

Post by gary stenhouse »

when joining the club 10 years ago the club comp was quite a big deal yet XC flying for paragliding was almost none existent. so the club comp was the day to shine for everyone to take part in this new and old pilots.

I remember the first year hangliding league was won by a 2k flight from longknow and this was declared on the nigh handing out the trophies. 75k seemed to win the paragliding league. them days seem to be long gone for better for worse.

so given the momentum for xc flying are we after the club comp as it seems that it is rare that we can get any enthusiasm to do one?

I must say I find it hard myself to drag myself from my own aspirations in free flying to worry about club comps. so is this the same for the rest of the club as if it is we need to try and think of another way to do things as once a month just never seems to bring a worthy club comp.

as there is always complaints that you need a months notice which I paragliding is just not possible to do to have a realistic chance of a proper comp.
I would think a club comp is something that can be done more short notice than a international comp as we can see a great day coming and take the chance and go for it.

the BPC has had to resort to going abroad based on so many waste comps due to bad weather so at least short notice with potential great conditions is better tan a months notice with virtually no chance of that day working.

cheers Gary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I'm still interested in club comp but as most of you know I'm not really in control of my free time, high demands from work mean the one day I get off I have to use wisely and I have a lot of commitments. I find that the club comps help drive me, but I don't think it can be forced as it just turns out crap just got to let it happen when it happens
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

I'd take part in the odd club comp day out - all at the same site - that set eg a triangle task or landing accuracy or something along those lines.

I'd also take part in the spirit of an xc day club comp day but know for sure I'd be last 😃

Not that I'd be bothered. The most important thing for me currently is just keeping on keeping on gradually improving my own recreational skills and knowledge .

Full on respect to all you comp class xc vets but in comparison I'm still just a fledgling and wouldn't stand a chance against you lot flying your climb-higher-glide-faster fingernails 😃
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I believe that Ron Freeman is now going to take on the roll of Competition Organiser as this will be then easier for all involved.
also I know I will not be here on the may one lakes charity or July one as on holiday so makes sense to have ron doing it as he will be able to do the may one and july one.

cheers Gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

It is interesting that people feel the need for competition.

Can I ask why?

From my perspective, I don't need gongs, medals or certificates to enjoy my flying, just nice people, great views and of course good conditions.

I have seen more near accidents and read of real accidents and reserve throws because of the competitive arena. I refused to do any more comps after my third one, when I took a step back and realised that ambition and competitiveness was putting me in positions I would not normally put myself.

To me a far safer environment to learn and fly tasks is to do something every time you go to the hill with your friends. This way everyone helps one another in the task.
Tasks start simple, then you start to use instruments, then XC Planner, then maybe 2 tasks,one to set up the next,,,,,just a turn point really.
The main thing is don't just go to a hill for a fly round, you did that in school,,,,take off,,,land,,,,learned that, time to move on.
If in doubt ask one of the more experienced pilots on the hill what might be a good task for the given conditions.
Ed Cleasby wrote a good book for the local area giving classic tasks for a number of hills, buy it and have a go, but share your task and help one another.
Talk to one another,,,,,,no not about landing for sandwiches,,,extend tasks, cut them short, help people in your group to find lift, work together. Make the most of each day's flying.
Be realistic in your task setting, so that people in your group can achieve them, but always stretch yourselves, that comes with practice.
Just as an example my last flight was at Hogden Law, forecast was for the NNE wind to go NE then E our goal was Blackpool, get off early and go round the controlled air space, it didn't work out so an intermediate goal of the first turn point was automatically set to see if the flight would be possible in the future. Tasks like this can change with the weather as this one did, in reality the wind went East almost as we took off and remained so at height, but as I dropped in height went to SE???
If anyone can help me set triangle tasks that are not just fly along this ridge then as far out front as possible, I would be grateful, because that, without doubt is where my next learning curve needs to be.
Have fun, fly safe, fly with friends.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I will also be in the lakes for the May one

07824 554735
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I think with xc planner task setting is easier for us all to learn and I have been putting in some unrealistic ones for the hell of it.
there is no doubt with a task in hand on a rough day it can make flying more enjoyable.
as even after all these hours its still scarry up there when there is no objective and xc flying is very much a personal achievement and totally addictive, and nearly every flight I have gone xc in some way.

however if you prefer ridge soaring this also is great fun when nice and smooth but when conditions are banging it is not so nice.

enjoy your flying but a good club comp can be great fun providing you get the most out of the day :D :D :D :D
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Is there a web link to xc planner Gary?
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

http://xcplanner.appspot.com/

There you go John.

Here's an excellent how to video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Y3kEv ... e=youtu.be

Lots of plans and .cup files loaded, if you're competitive, the .cup file is the same as declairing the flight, you just submit both .igc and .cup for delaired multipliers.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Thanks Brian :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

tasks

Post by chrisfozz »

if you want to set yourself a task you can also try

www.xc-challenge.net

it doesn't do the fancy triangle stuff like xcplanner but you can save your own tasks and upload an igc file to see how you got on (i don't think you can do this with xcplanner).
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Cheers Chris
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Post by ron freeman »

gary stenhouse wrote:I believe that Ron Freeman is now going to take on the roll of Competition Organiser as this will be then easier for all involved.

cheers Gary
I don't where that one came from Gary but I think we don't need a comps officer (always thought the title was daft anyway)

I am happy to try and help to get the Club comp back to where it was - Great fun - huge learning curve and at the end of the walk away proud of taking part. 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

ron I am easy and though I am a great motivator on a week to week basis to get people out flying I am not a great comps organiser.

more than happy to help out but would have to be flying even if not in the comp as I just have not got the willpower to sit on the ground when it is flyable.

in reflection maybe a fun type comp is a good thing as the rest of the league is fairly competitive and should give newer pilots a good chance to win.
often a touch and go where pushing down a ridge is a great way to go and getting back to take off to make the free bar meal if you win :D

mad dog was this winner back in 2005 from cross fell when john Watson was the comps secretary.
ron freeman
Seasoned

Club meeting

Post by ron freeman »

Will be at the Club meeting tomorrow night and maybe drum up some interest.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

my thoughts on club comps

Post by bill-scott »

some of the club comps Ive taken part in have been some of the most memorable days in my flying career

what could be better out in a beautiful part of the country with all your mates doing a sport you all love with the added challenge of some friendly competition followed by a visit to the pub for lashings and lashings of fizzy beer (only if your not driving :idea: ).

I don't think club comps should be taken to seriously the emphasis should be on FUN!! and tasks should be simple and achievable whatever your ability and experience .
If you want to be really competitive there are other places for that

In short do we want club comps HELL YES!!!!!!

But these great days don't just appear by magic, you need someone in charge to motivate and organize, this can be a right pain in the arse.
you have to juggle iffy forecasts with peoples availability and at the same time trying not to clash with other events, as Ive already said a right old pain in the arse
and its impossible to please everyone so whoever takes on this thankless task has my complete support and should be applauded (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)

even if it means A weekend is chosen that I cant attend I will stand by the decision taken :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (headbang) (headbang) :x :x :x

I have been following the posts on this subject up to now without comment in particular the banter between Ron and Gary

I think Gary has done a great job so far and would also love to see Ronnie take part ( if he still has it :lol: :lol: :lol: )
:idea: maybe if they get there heads together tomorrow night they might be able to form a coalition Like the government lib/con lab/snp ukip/???

to sumarise its all meant to be about fun so keep it light and long live the club comp :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I HATE COMPUTERS
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

Yup

Post by chrisfozz »

Nice one Bill
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes sounds the job Bill a fun comp as i think fun comps always seem to be better supported likes of lakes charrity classic etc.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

just a small break down of last year Sundays

April 27 west fell lakes only place flyable in country
may 26th lords seat northumberland lots of xc flying all last minute
June 29th no flying
July 27 no flying
August 31 Clough head then millers leap
September 28th BBQ but flew melmerby bowl
October 26th not flyable
November 23rd Baton fell lakes club comp

so as you can see not many chances maybe one but lords seat very sensitive for permission so maybe would not of been ideal but did produce a trophy for Lloyd that day
ron freeman
Seasoned

Northumberland flying

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Gary, I also record the weather every day + school records for 2014

April 27 showers, light north 2 x student PG back of East hill
May 25 (Sun) light s.east 2 x students East hill PG CP work
June29 hanggliding Hogdon law good day
July 27 3x students Titlington pike PG good training day
Aug 31 2x students Titlington pike PG CP work
Sept28 Hepburn wood 1x student PG EP
Oct 26 Titlington pike HG blown out
Nov 23 Moneylaws 2 x student CP work + free flying

Not to bad for Northumberland, hope we get the same this year. I do think Club comps should be run on our own Sites.
I may be struggling for May 31st I got the date today for a knee cartilage operation on 28th May so may be a bit sore but will try. If no go for the 31st May keep diary open for the June 28th

Cheers Club comp volunteer + Gary Stenhouse helper
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I could be wrong but I think there is a decent size group going to be in the lakes 31st may at the LCC

07824 554735
ridgeflyer71
Mingling

Post by ridgeflyer71 »

I'm down that way in the caravan at that time so I'll be there having a look for the first time and supporting our lads. Good luck.