Pilot of the month revamp

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Pilot of the month revamp

Post by John Wallis »

As discussed at the last meeting maybe we should we should give the pilot of the month a revamp and maybe carry a bit more weight in the club. We've had our fun with the builder's safety hat with wings on and the small award that goes with it. There's a lot of new keen pilots in club wouldn't it be nice when they do something special they can have a pilot of the month award worth having something to be proud of on your mantle piece.

There was also a mention of a free meal at the following meeting paid for by the club.

Any thoughts anyone?
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

You have asked for thoughts so here are mine. I dont think the award works! Its judging criteria is too loose therefore it can almost be embarrasing to receive the award. I like the idea but it needs some structure. I dont have the answers but how about our chairman making the decision. This would be based on input from members prior to the meeting ( Do we need to set a judging panel )who have recognised someone doing something of note.perhaps a prompt to inbox our chairman before the meeting to put forward names and the reason. He can arbitrate and his decision is final.
I know where to get small affordable trophies. All my comments are based on getting this right but they may be wrong, a bit like my weather forecasting. So I recommend all to put their opinions on here right or wrong to start a healthy debate. And of course mediated by our chairman at all times.
Just some thoughts............
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

I appreciate it would involve some regular IT updates - which may be an issue

- but uploading each Nhpc PoM in the Hall of Fame would add a little extra kudos to the award. With a photo and brief citation each month would keep a good online record of our monthly winners for all to see?

Same for the winners of the annual awards and comps etc?

Judging from Ronnies Birdman article the Hall of Fame doesn't seem to have been updated since 2005 so probably a little bit of work needed to get it ready for new entries.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

2 cracking replies already
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

pom

Post by chrisfozz »

Hows about a NHPC Pilot of the Month t-shirt? Wear it with pride.
Order 2 or 3 years supply, various sizes, shouldn’t break the bank.
All we need is a design, easier said than done but I’m sure we could come up with something.

I actually like the informal way we currently choose PoM, as far as I’m aware there are few rules-
• The recipient has to be present at the meeting
• To vote you have to be at the meeting
• One member one vote.
Each member can then use there own criteria to decide who is the most worthy winner.

I also think it would be good if the winner could say a few words about there flight - but no more than five minutes, please!
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

ps

Post by chrisfozz »

ps
you don't have to wear it for month and then give it back at the following meeting for the next winner to wear. you get to keep it.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Pilot of the Month

Post by ron freeman »

I do think the 'Pilot of the Month' need to be 're-vamped' I agree that the Chairman should make the final decision for the award (hanggliders included) going off the feed back from members.

I don't think the winner should have to be at the meeting to receive the award due to other commitments (work, family or flying..)

Chris Foster mentioned a 'tee shirt' brilliant idea ! Club logo with Pilot of the month printed front and back, I would luv to have & wear one 8)

I am currently having some printing done with 'Cloud 9' from Cramlington.
Nice bloke as does a great job at a fair price.

I am happy to sort the shirts out just give me the nod.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

I like the T-shirt idea but if you're a super brilliant pilot, do you really need so many T-shirts? In whch case are you going to be snubbed the following month even having done something amazing?
I think keep it as simple as it is, you should be at the meeting & have done something that others think is worthy...Chairman's decision is final.
Personally I like the meal idea...& a T-shirt if you haven't already had one within a year.
Does anyone know what other clubs do?
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

My son has his own printing business and I can get them real cheap. Just saying.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Brian order me 10 pilot of the month T shirts I will invent my own criteria :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

ron freeman
Seasoned

Post by ron freeman »

AngusB wrote:I like the T-shirt idea but if you're a super brilliant pilot, do you really need so many T-shirts? In whch case are you going to be snubbed the following month even having done something amazing?
I think keep it as simple as it is, you should be at the meeting & have done something that others think is worthy...Chairman's decision is final.
Personally I like the meal idea...& a T-shirt if you haven't already had one within a year.
Does anyone know what other clubs do?
Hi Angus, standard of pilot does not come into it.. its for all our members who are trying to get the best out of the days flying conditions its as simple as that. You say 'Should be at the meeting' this is the problem with the award... I have been to many meetings when nobody there has achieved a flight worth talking about so someone at the meeting gets it for a laugh...

If one of our members achieve a very special flight and he can't make the meeting its not right that this goes without reward or recognition.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Here's a thought....what about bad pilot of the month? I might be in with a shout for that one!
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I think the point of the pilot must be at the meeting is that if you give it to someone who isn't there then he doesn't get the trophy and quite likely wouldn't be at the following meeting to bring it back, I think we are trying to over complicate an award that is supposed to be simple.

The idea of a meal was that if you win the pilot of the month trophy you get a free bar meal at the following meeting when you return the trophy, the meal was meant not only as a reward but also as an incentive to bring it back as the trophy has now been AWOL for over 3 months.

If pilot of the month was to become open to none attendee's then I believe we would need to scrap the idea of a trophy and stick with something like T-shirts which could be put in the post, I think the danger of opening it to everyone is that instead of it being a fun acheivement that any can win it may become a bit too serious.

At the moment with it being attendee's only we have to take into consideration what most would think are just little acheivments but to those actually doing it are milestones. My take on the trophy was that it is designed to push people on with their development and I fear we may loose that.

Just my thoughts.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Nail on the head thanks Colin. My thoughts exactly.
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes very well put colin
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

I think Colin has nailed it .
but what about the hat and little trophy ?. Well yes maybe the hat has had its day, and as for the little trophy, well that also could be past its sell by date .But what do we replace it with??. Personally I'm not a big fan of anything plastic off the shelf. I think we have the talent and artistry in the club to come up with something special and unique
so there's the next question what. :?: :?: :?: :?:
:idea: maybe the creator of the hat could come up with something :idea:
I HATE COMPUTERS
ron freeman
Seasoned

Trophy

Post by ron freeman »

colin keightley wrote:I think the point of the pilot must be at the meeting is that if you give it to someone who isn't there then he doesn't get the trophy and quite likely wouldn't be at the following meeting to bring it back, I think we are trying to over complicate an award that is supposed to be simple.

The idea of a meal was that if you win the pilot of the month trophy you get a free bar meal at the following meeting when you return the trophy, the meal was meant not only as a reward but also as an incentive to bring it back as the trophy has now been AWOL for over 3 months.

If pilot of the month was to become open to none attendee's then I believe we would need to scrap the idea of a trophy and stick with something like T-shirts which could be put in the post, I think the danger of opening it to everyone is that instead of it being a fun acheivement that any can win it may become a bit too serious.

At the moment with it being attendee's only we have to take into consideration what most would think are just little acheivments but to those actually doing it are milestones. My take on the trophy was that it is designed to push people on with their development and I fear we may loose that.

Just my thoughts.

We don't need a trophy or a free meal because some members who have won it forget to bring it to the next meeting or they can't make the next meeting... this is why a tee shirt was a brilliant idea ! and members don't need to worry if they can't make the next meeting.

Fun achievement ? well that's easy to address Colin.. have a 'Fun Pilot of the Month' printed on the shirt so it does not look so serious..

For 'Milestone' if its just a fun achievement award, so no worries there.
For 'Development' this was lost many moons ago when it was awarded sometimes for not even flying..

Just my thoughts
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

How about little badges that you stitch onto your jumpers, you know like the brownies and cubs.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

That's a great idea Steve we could get one for you with "Knob" on it :D
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Colin Keightley, Has put it so well, "Spot On"
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

John Wallis wrote:That's a great idea Steve we could get one for you with "Knob" on it :D
:?: I guess yours would be "Fanny" then little man.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I guess it would be big man
Livetrack24 wannyjollis