Live life like you mean it.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Ha ha those big wing overs are not as easy as they look :lol:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I find it hard enough keeping it over my head :) Looked like you were enjoying yourself there :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I've been waiting for you to bring it on here Mehdi as I didn't want to say anything on Facebook. I think you need to calm it down a little, I mean no offence towards your instructor but I don't believe your getting the right instruction from what we have seen in your last 2 videos. Before I mention what I think is wrong with what is going on in the video what things do you think are wrong and why they happened. And I mean this in the nicest way I just want you to be safe
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

No Offence taken Colin

I know my limits and like to push it at times. This isn't the only sport I have done as you know from my Fb profile. The video was not a show off trying to prove anything, it is what it is ........

Previously you were confused between my Asymmetric and B line, but that's ok too you eventually realised.
I am sure there are a lot of things that may be wrong with my wing over etc on that video. That is why I practice over water trying different manoeuvres. I don't edit or do production videos so what you saw is what happened. I hadn't taken my Go pro so I had borrowed one from a friend for that flight and that is the only video I took on that trip.

By the way my instructor for the few days was the top Acro pilot in the middle east who is a mate of mine and he did point out my mistakes to me. I am up for a trip aboard Colin if you want to show me how its done.

Anyway less of that cheers for the comment and as always I take I constructive criticism on board so .......
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Hi Mehdi have you got Jockys latest DVD it covers all the manoeuvres you're doing and it's a great reference to keep going back to. I kept making a cock up of my wing overs on the SIV course especially when they were getting quite aggressive the tips came in just like your video and all I could hear from the radio was stop stop stop. I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong until I bought his DVD. When I was hang gliding I could do most manoeuvres to great accuracy including really big wing overs past 90 degrees without even thinking about it. I guess my paragliding technique isn't as sharp either that or the SIV course frightened the shit out of me and my brain is not letting me do it ( self presivation ) :) keep posting the videos they're good to watch especially when your breathing gets heavy (been there) :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Hi John, I have seen Jockies video, he is a master at his trade.
After I had the opportunity of the camera I was doing wingovers and sats comfortably, getting wing overs to about 160 degrees. As you go in to the dive say about 110 degrees or more what I should have done was to pull both brakes to stop the wing from collapsing. As you know very wing reacts differently and its just getting to know your wing in different manoeuvres and conditioning the mind and body and controlling your breathing hyper ventilating, pulling funny faces etc . I did pull my reserve at one of the earlier manoeuvres but unfortunately didn't have any camera to record the event, got a few long distance photo shots of it.
John i'm very much a beginner but a very keen and a mad one. :evil: :D :D
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Hi Mehdi,

Your SAT entry was almost perfect and you slowed down the rotations perfectly, the only thing wrong was your exit, not sure if that video was your first SAT or not but you exited into a deep nose down spiral, it's expected of someone doing their first SAT as they don't know what to expect but not something you would expect someone who has done a SAT before to do. As you see in your video a nose down spiral is a sensory overload and see you take a second to regain composure when you fly out of it.

As for the wingovers you were not using outside brake. Anything over about 30deg of bank should have outside break for safety even when using outside break if you mess up the timing you get about 30-40% collapses. As you see from yours no outside break allowed your glider to 60% collapse.

I'm sure you know already that when it collapsed you panic pulled the brakes which then stalled the glider when it tried to recover but then went hands up too quick and nearly got gift wrapped.

There's a good video somewhere about mastering wingovers I'll try to find it for you.

Obviously I don't know your instructor but just because he is a good pilot doesn't mean he's a good teacher. I went with an instructor who wears just starting SIV courses so I watched many many videos about SIV so that I knew if his tuition was any good or not
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley