Mehdi
Chatty

Full stall siv

Post by Mehdi »

Live life like you mean it.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Enjoyed that brought back memories. Did you do the SIV with Jocky? he made us hold the stall for several seconds then releasing when the wing was in front. It takes some pulling the B Line I see you were right out of your seat :)

Nice one
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Great vid, the method of full stall recovery looks borderline dangerous, that second one looked especially bad, im sure your instructor probably told you that the second b-line you went a bit too aggresive hence the leading edge was fluttering, you should definately look up and check your wing more often, when you come out of a stall and you have damped the surge a quick look up to check to two wing tips,

Excellent effort though.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

John Wallis wrote:Enjoyed that brought back memories. Did you do the SIV with Jocky? he made us hold the stall for several seconds then releasing when the wing was in front. It takes some pulling the B Line I see you were right out of your seat :)

Nice one

Hi John thanks, no I didn't go with Jocky, he didn't have a course when i could go as i went with the family and made a holiday of it. I have couple of friends in Olu deniz who are experienced pilots, one of them Murat from sky paragliding, the other one an acro pilot i know from Iran.
I had a few days instructions from them both. Every instructor have their own way of teaching but you are right i probably did release the stall a bit too quick. from memory i think that was my first go which i had filmed.
Yes it does take some pulling down, both B line and Asymmetric you have to get out of your seat and grab the risers as far as you can reach, pull and sit down at the same time.

Anyway a really enjoyable and at times scary course.
Last edited by Mehdi on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

colin keightley wrote:Great vid, the method of full stall recovery looks borderline dangerous, that second one looked especially bad, im sure your instructor probably told you that the second b-line you went a bit too aggresive hence the leading edge was fluttering, you should definately look up and check your wing more often, when you come out of a stall and you have damped the surge a quick look up to check to two wing tips,

Excellent effort though.
At 1.30 sec on video i did a full stall and i got a left tuck and a small cravat. I did a 2nd stall back to back to clear it which it did.

Full stalls are what it says, like re booting your computer so its a bit of a grey area how long you keep it in a stall before you bring it out, obviously cant be held too long.

Yes i should have checked my wing more during the exercise. I think i did 1 b line but i know what you mean about the fluttering edge. Again the idea behind b line is to reduce altitude but I would probably do big ears so keep the glide if I needed to in a real situation.

Its all a learning curve. Thanks for your input Colin, I better book my next HOLIDAY and siv then. :D :D

Any thoughts from anyone else??
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

A full stall once stalled you can keep it in a stabilised full stall for as long as you like, also known as tailslide. Once in tailslide you can let your brakes straight up and it won't exit as aggressive. As for the b-line the first one was spot on the second one you yank down too fast the danger with this is with the front of the canopy fluttering around the way it is in the second b line it has a danger of going full frontal which means you ARE going to let go. So the sudden deceleration of the b stall followed by the rapid acceleration of it recovering from the full frontal = whole world of shite.

For a b stall pull down smoothly release quickly

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

After watching the video again I've just realised the last manouvre wasn't a b line, it was all your a's what was it you were doing as a frontal is initiated with just the inner a's

07824 554735
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

love the hyperventilation breathing, looks a very well behaved wing indeed compared to some of the newer en b and C wings
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

colin keightley wrote:A full stall once stalled you can keep it in a stabilised full stall for as long as you like, also known as tailslide. Once in tailslide you can let your brakes straight up and it won't exit as aggressive. As for the b-line the first one was spot on the second one you yank down too fast the danger with this is with the front of the canopy fluttering around the way it is in the second b line it has a danger of going full frontal which means you ARE going to let go. So the sudden deceleration of the b stall followed by the rapid acceleration of it recovering from the full frontal = whole world of shite.

For a b stall pull down smoothly release quickly
I did 1 B line @2.30 sec and 1 full Asymmetric claps @4.10 sec ..pulling on both A risers. I have 2 A risers on each side that's probably what's making you think that I have done 2 b lines, look closer. The reason I pulled the 2 A risers on both sides with speed was to simulate an aggressive frontal tuck..

this is an article I found .

L4 - 2002/3/28. Frontal Collapse (Execution). Some reasons to perform this : Attempt to clear a Knot (Unstable, Recovery) in central "A" lines, practice recovery from a Frontal Collapse (Recovery). To induce a small collapse, keep your brakes in hand, pull slowly and symmetrically on A risers until the leading edge folds under. For a bigger collapse, increase speed and amplitude of pull.
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

got me thinking 8) 8) 8)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Just use your inner A's to do a frontal

07824 554735
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Well done.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Question is Mehdi would you do another SIV course I certainly wouldn't. Frightens the shit out of you and it's debatable how much you take away from the course. (In my opinion)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Interesting! I have done three and the confidence it gives you is immeasurable in my opinion. If we had a site over a lake like Annecy I would move to acro because of it. It's true that one persons food is another's poison.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I'm quite a conservative pilot these days and don't like getting too far from my comfort zone. Then there were the days when I took off Sutton bank in a 46 MPH wind "Madness" or Titlington in 38MPH must have been a nut case!! More sensible these days :)

You're a nutter :D
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

berow
Regular

Post by berow »

You have me sussed.....damn!
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

My opinion is that the course should be done once a year if possible. The idea behind SIV is to put the pilot in a simulated incidents. To adapt your mind in an event of say having a cravat a claps or having to reduce altitude.

I think the course should also be done if you change your wing to a higher rated wing, as each one reacts differently to situations.

There is also the case were the ability and the experience of the pilot allows them to think quickly and react to the situation with out having to have done siv.

I loved the course and would put myself through the exercises next time I fly over water at the right altitude. Love to be in an environment to do Acro. When I was in olu I was practising spirals which is part of siv and SATS which is an Acro move. That is a bloody scary move when you first go in to it but get use to it after a few try's. In my own mind I have divided paragliding to 3 disciplines . Cross country, Ridging and Acro..
Last edited by Mehdi on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

You don't need to go on a course to do SIV.....try flying behind a hill low and you will get plenty of practice!
Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

berow wrote:You don't need to go on a course to do SIV.....try flying behind a hill low and you will get plenty of practice!
:D :D :D :D :D