Facebook or website

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Facebook or website

Post by John Wallis »

Just wondering if it's worth using the NHPC facebook site and cutting the costs
of hosting our website etc. Colin set up a Facebook page ages ago and it doesn't get used because the website is so good, but if it saves dosh what do people think as most of us use Facebook anyway.

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

My first thoughts are that Nhpc is an excellent, well organised club with many veteran, highly experienced pilots that have made the whole thing happen for us low air time fledglings. Hats off to you all!

But if the club can save a little money by using an Nhpc Facebook group then why not? IMO it's a good shout! FB has it's pros and cons but like it or loathe it it is the modern day means of sharing and exchanging info. If nothing else it could be a better way to share Flying Today posts, weather updates and much easier for photos? Not sure if the entire website should be replaced by FB but scaling it down maybe an idea?

With regards the existing website Angus, Gordon and I were also talking about how outdated some of the posts are and that perhaps it would benefit from the a spring clean and refresh.

And for us low air timers an online wind rose and updated site guide where you can click on a site tab on the wind rose to take you to that site page with updated info and lambing guidance etc. - would be brill

I vote yes.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Trevor Robinson
Regular
Full Name: Trevor Robinson

Post by Trevor Robinson »

Whats Facebook? Is that the place all your imaginary friends live
Trevor ( always offline so the Terminators can't get to me)

But to be serious are we more accessible as a club to others by having a web site
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Consider this;

1. The club is short of money now!?.. last I heard it was a very cash rich club, as to why is another story.

2. Till recently this site had been earning money from Google ads for the last 7 years. Till someone thought it was a good idea for the club to try and game this. Google banned you from that, now it earns you nothing. All is needed is a groveling letter to Google to be unbanned, maybe the person who's idea it was could write this on behalf of the club.

3. The cost of this website was £0, and is maintained for free. There is an on going hosting cost which all websites have. (to which no one profits from bar the hosting company).

4. This clubs identity is this address www.nhpc.org.uk and this gives the club credibility and professionalism. Rather than a bunch of pikies operating out of a borrowed van.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

I agree with fingers if its not broke dont fix it as for the face page thing i have dabbled with it but find it a bit complicated and chavarish
I keep getting e-mails from it wanting me to play some stupid game

when our website is the envy of the paragliding world :D :D

Im sure this thread was just started `by john w pulling our string
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Im sure this thread was just started `by john w pulling our string
William fancy you thinking that about me :o

No as I said the website is excellent always has been but there seems quite a lot of us using Facebook on a daily basis and I was just posing the question to see what members thought. As for being cash rich depends on what your definition of rich is. I know the BBQ in the forest last year blew a big hole in the reserves and there's already talk about members wanting to do it again. It was a valid question to ask and of course peoples opinions are what matter. We,ve already heard from Fingers who set the site up be nice to hear from Colin who beavers away in the back ground maintaining the website to see what he thinks. Would it benefit the club or best leave it as it is?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northumb ... fid=18&_ft_
Last edited by John Wallis on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

just had a quick look not sure if its me not knowing how to work it but the latest post I could find was Sept 2010?????
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Livetrack24 wannyjollis

chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

FBI

Post by chrisfozz »

Don't think fb has a system for scoring flights.
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Hmm What type of games did they want u to play Bill :o
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Club web site

Post by ron freeman »

Our club web site is now our own identity for the whole world to see & read we should be very proud of it and the fantastic work that finger put into it and for Colin maintaining it.

We can have only one way of communicating and sharing with FB would never work so don't change what we have ! this is a brilliant site.

We do need to change certain issues - "Lambing dates" should have its own index - a wind rose on the sites guide has been talked about many times but never done. I would be happy to do one but I don't have that sort of access at the moment.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)