Not getting excited.

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

MadDog
Chatty

Not getting excited.

Post by MadDog »

Another year over, another year older, and very little on the horizon other than high winds and bucketfuls of rain.....makes you wonder doesn't it?
Why can't a brand new year start in the middle of June, when you can wake up with sunshine streaming through the window, and the promise of success through the coming day, sweetening your first cup of morning coffee......instead of this soul destroying weather shit?
Did you achieve all the things that you had wanted for yourself this past year?......all the goals that you had set yourself on January the first, but had forgotten about by January the thirty first?
I know I didn't
Did you find that the new glider that you just bought, and which came complete with that little bottle of elixir, (which they all have,) suddenly changed you overnight into the ace that you now are......and with the worthless trophies to prove it?
I know a couple who fit in this category....In fact I think they can now fly higher than me, further than me, without even taking their gliders out of the bag!
And this is why I hate them.
I wish that I could get excited about the year that will be dawning a few hours from now
I wish I could get excited about not being able to get excited .....but no...
Looking back on your year....did you have that one special flying day that made it all worthwhile for you? that rewarded you for the interminable journey to get there....the incredibly long slog up to take off.....the botched take off, then wonder of wonders all your dreams coming true at once.....
(Except the one about Liz Hurley)......
I'm almost excited about you getting excited about Liz Hurley
Looking back, I could get excited about the flight that I had from Clough Head to Kendal and the gorgeous summers day that it was....but the one that lingers with me most is the flight from Hownam to Humbleton....losing the thermal behind Hownam, (as you do) searching for something new....climbing out again in something good and solid, watching Brian Day, blindly stumbling about beneath me, and him, completely unaware of his likeness to the voodoo doll that I was sticking pins into.....
The bastard still beat me at the end of the day.....
But that's just what this game is all about, and I have never known Brian not to have been happy for me, when by some freak chance I've flown further than him, or had a better day than him.....and that's why I love the man.
But, it's not just the flying that counts, it can be good or bad and it has no consistency.....and quite frankly I can take it or leave it sometimes, but the friends you have, make everything about the sport that much better
I sometimes wish that I had one!
So, what am I trying to say?
That I am glad to see the back of this year?.....Yes
That I can't get excited about next year?......Yes
That I wish you a happy new year?......No chance
If you have any tablets that work, please send me them.
Name the hill.....Name the pilot...and who was it flew the furthest that day?
Attachments
DSCF1027-003.JPG
DSCF1027-003.JPG (88.19 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

Happy new year

Post by chrisfozz »

Best wishes for 2014 John, I'm sure there will be plenty to get exited about when the time comes. Hope we get a few more days like the one in your photo, and with a bit of luck I'll get to fly a bit further myself next time.
I think the hill is Hownam, pilot is Lloyd, who flew the furthest? definitely not me. I think it may have been Brian but am not sure.
http://fozz.dyndns-ip.com/MyTrack/Chevi ... 5746475igc
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

It's going to be a good year John once we get passed this shitty weather and spring comes along good times are a coming. We're already heading towards the light nights 15 mins a week and that will soon mount up. We should be due a good run of easterlies and get the rust off at the coast ready for those spring thermals.

Good luck and happy New Year
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Happy New Year John, it's always great to see you smile after a good flight, I think you've smiled more often than you remember last year.
Here's hoping we see your big broad grin as often as possible this year.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01