Predicting weather for a particular site

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme
Chatty

Predicting weather for a particular site

Post by Graeme »

Is there a standard system / website that everyone uses? Wendy wind blows? Or does everyone do their own thing then ring around and/or post on here to reach agreement before making a decision?

I look at xc and try to link the forecast with site info suitable for my level but haven't the experience or confidence in my ability to ring someone up with a reasonably well informed contribution to the decision making process. I would just be asking for guidance rather than adding to the debate.

And rasp - I've occasionally heard good things about it but when I checked it out felt like I needed a degree in computerized meteorology. Would anyone be so kind as to share their knowledge about this this at a club meeting?

I know predicting where to go when is probably bread and butter for many NHPC folk but I would really appreciate to better understand how you go about it yourselves?
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Good post this Graeme

For what it's worth I always take my first look at the Bracknell Synoptics to get a good overall picture of the weeks weather.

http://www.notaminfo.com/synoptics

Then I take a look at XCweather

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Then take a look at the mountain weather with Metcheck hobbies

http://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/mountain.asp

Once that is all looked at I try and make a decision. It doesn't always work but you generally get a good idea.

I've never used RASP for some reason I'm sure some of the other guys like Brian or Gary could give you a more informed opinion on that.

I find the weather fascinating and look at the sky every day to see if their predictions are coming together which they usually do the main problem the met office seem to have is timing

Hope this helps

JW
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

hi Graeme I think sometimes its intuition and I have a good feeling and it sometimes works but this is where I start.

xc a good start but can be a bit optimistic
BBC where I check all the local areas we are likely to fly so ca12 penrith wooerl ts11 hawes.

met office this I check for ne nw leeds dales areas when all 3 are looking good wind speed sun etc its time for the big one rasp as normally if all 3 are confirming flyable conditions then now to pick the best thermic site.

here's where rasp comes into its own and can predict wind and thermal activity very well, so will within reason go for the best site for the day within driving distance.

on top of this I subscribe to wendywindblows and local webcams, and look to see how the cloud cover looks.

when unsure and a long drive I will try and ring people who are more local to the site and other experienced gurus.

it is quite rare these days that I will go out and not get flying, though sometimes it may be later in the day.

what I often do as well is try to predict where is going to be really good and then check the national xc league to see if I am right.

all of the above can be wrong but the more that say yes the better the chance met check is often the last ditch when the others don't say what you want.

cheers gary
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

I took this photo of a strange cloud formation (omen) in the sky over the Cheviots earlier this year. Weird ...... almost like it's trying to tell you something.
Attachments
SDC10463 (1024 x 768) 2.jpg
SDC10463 (1024 x 768) 2.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Hi Graeme, I stopped using xc weather as it is too general. I use the good old bbc weather to check the general weather and I have to admit that I like RASP as in my opinion it is pretty accurate. I am a member of all the local clubs and will check the forums to check the vibe on the street as it were. I too subscribe to wendy windblows as it can be a godsend when the winds are northerly. I look at things from a different perspective because of my tandem but feel I can get in the air most times I am out but it has been a hard won skill.It pays to stick your nose out of the window and see what you think. We discussed helping newer pilots in the club which I wholey subscribe to so call us. We are not always right but we can help you on your journey of trying to read the weather. Remember if I was as wrong as the weather man in my current job I would have been sacked long ago.
See you on the hill.
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Many thanks all for the very useful info - I get a good general idea of how you go about things - from intuition to various websites to WWBs and RASP - but I suppose dedication and experience are the key

But just so I can visualise a real time example if anyone is willing to talk me through their process my number is 07879215524 (that said I'm away this weekend so maybe over next couple of weeks?)

Or perhaps for the benefit of all I wonder if this would make an interesting talk from someone at a club meeting over next 2 or 3 months? Showing WWBs and Rasp etc on the projector screen etc?
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.