what a day in the cheviots

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

what a day in the cheviots

Post by gary stenhouse »

looks like some good flights done across the cheviots with Chris little flying to Berwick approx. 30k

Brian day hownam to duns 32k ron hownam to doddington cross wind mainly me hownam other side of coldstream 19.5k and bill similar area.

some a great day had by all and big thanks to john for landing and getting the car as it would of been a bitch.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

You're talking site records here Gary (Cheviot site records which are treble distance ) Brian Ron Bill and Chris very well done it got very windy after you all went.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

didn't get as far as I had thought only 12.4 I could have swore the gps said 19.5 when I landed bugger :x :x :x
I HATE COMPUTERS
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Maybe I got the site record for Old Bewick today?
Really nice flying in sea breeze convergence.
Hope I got it on video flying above the sea breeze clouds was very nice.
On a day when I wasn't even expecting to fly and actually set off for a run in the Cheviots with Jan but just on the off-chance it wasn't blown out put the wings in
I thought I might have had company on the flight when Liam and Brian Nellist got height out front but hopefully next time as its always more enjoyable flying with your mates
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Great guys get them flights up as im looking at updating the site records.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Sounds fantastic Chris I'm sure that's a site record for old Bewick the Cheviots seem to be having a bit of a renaissance :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

yep some great flying and its is just so special in the cheviots on home turf and do think it will not be long before the 50 goes.
I think if we could get up togeather and gaggle fly with radio I think we will not only do it I think we will double it.
it might be next year but great things are worth waiting for.
this year on gps recorded flights

chris foster west hill
hownam brian day 32k?
old bewick chris little26k
hownam sw chris foster 15k

and also some good flights from humbleton as well this year it shows with rasp that you can pick the cheviots and get some good flying.

chris's flight mus of been stunning running along the coast cracking flight.

the strange thing today we faffed around for some time thinking it was too windy yet in the air it was fine with good ground speed.
I think the new wings are just so good that it makes flying so much more enjoyable as you fly instead of just dangling
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

looking at rons flight pretty amazing given how much he cross winded just shows how thermic the cheviots can be. unfortunately innever quite gotbthe goodnheight andbliftbbut got some very near low saves for a long time but could not quite get up there.

looking at tomorrow there couldnbe another chance to get xc out of the cheviots :D :D :D
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Well done

Post by ron freeman »

Chris L wrote:Maybe I got the site record for Old Bewick today?
Really nice flying in sea breeze convergence.
Hope I got it on video flying above the sea breeze clouds was very nice.
On a day when I wasn't even expecting to fly and actually set off for a run in the Cheviots with Jan but just on the off-chance it wasn't blown out put the wings in
I thought I might have had company on the flight when Liam and Brian Nellist got height out front but hopefully next time as its always more enjoyable flying with your mates
Well done Chris, its great to read that a paraglider is using the fantastic convergence the Cheviots can produce on a good day ! 8)

Maybe a few more XC pilots will be giving our club sites a bit more respect in the future :o

This flight is a new total site record ! great effort Chris
Last edited by ron freeman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Flying at Hownam Law I was having my banana when I stumbled in to this thermal, I carried on munching thinking I would fly out of the other side but never did, So finish banana and started to turn all the way to cloud base always trying to fly up wind so to keep to the road we would go home on. But on reflection I should have flown down wind, Ha-Ho.
Photos of Gary’s new wing, Ozone LM5 lovely. Cheviot, Town Yetholm, I always think they got the name the wrong way round don’t you? Coming up to Milfield Gliding Club.

PS. It would be nice if everyone tried to fly with a Radio fully charge up.
I cant help thinking it would be good for the people who have gust joined the club to hear what other pilots are thinking. Don’t you.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1078896798 ... d_24If-vAE
Last edited by RonDon on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Well, my first flight back after 2 months off. The mojo lost and having to force myself to do something. Eventually I decided that I should get myself into gear and have a fly, just to see if it was still fun.
Some good lift saw Gary and Ron floating over the back, but I was not inspired or interested, then a down cycle that kept the remaining pilots grounded for a good half hour. The lift started to return so we took off again, Bill getting higher than me. Bill drifted with a thermal and I took the next. Over the back Bill was climbing faster and I was tempted to jump to his thermal, but I've made that mistake before. I found a core and took it to base. In land had over developed so I moved to the east for my next climb to base. Inland again was overdeveloped but I had to make a move west to avoid running out of land, managed another climb, but my last attempt to move inland didn't find the climb I needed.
Still not feeling inspired and the flight is still in my bag, where it will probably remain after the negativity this year.
I did get a flight from Hownam on a westerly earlier in the year to the other side of Wooler, but think this one was probably a bit further.
A little more urgancy and an earlier take off would most definitely seen a longer flight as most of the sky was over developed while I was flying.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

fantastic pictures ron though a bit disappointing as I am always below you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

could anywhere look as beautiful as the cheviots when it is in bloom
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

It will be just for a short while until you and your wing become as one! :) :) :)
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

It will be just for a short while until you and your wing become as one! :) :) :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Come on Brian get that flight up! If not will you send me the file so I can post the info on the site records

07824 554735
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Great photos, almost makes me want to go fly.! Do they make wings for fat folks?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

Flying in sea breeze convergence breaking sit records, Whats happening :?: :?:
could Wednesdays presentation have lit a fire under our arses :lol: :lol: :lol:
I HATE COMPUTERS
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://fms.ws/Dlv9y/55.78522N/2.34131W

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=12&om=1

Brian's Flying
this is the brians spot and i reckon it is 33k straight line from hownam
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlxyuvQcKA

this is what the conditions were and you can see not to windy but look at that sky :D :D :D :D :D :D
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Colin, you can take the site record from the spot locator or I will send you the flight for verification when I bother to download it. I was persuaded to put a flight on the board earlier in the year so that people could learn from it, I then recieved back stabbing and criticism. I removed the flight and said that I wouldn't post a flight again for at least this year, a decision I stand by. If someone really wants to see the flight I will share it with them when I download it.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned

Brian

Post by ron freeman »

brian day wrote:Colin, you can take the site record from the spot locator or I will send you the flight for verification when I bother to download it. I was persuaded to put a flight on the board earlier in the year so that people could learn from it, I then recieved back stabbing and criticism. I removed the flight and said that I wouldn't post a flight again for at least this year, a decision I stand by. If someone really wants to see the flight I will share it with them when I download it.

Brian, Iv'e received back stabbing criticism for the last 37 years in this club ! and I don't give a jot.. its never stopped me for flying and having my own say. To remove your own flight of 145k was silly ! so what you flew into airspace you were not the first or will be the last to do it.

Get your flights onto the XC league to show others how its done.

Chris Little, if you got footage of your Old Bewick XC can I see it 8)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Brian, Iv'e received back stabbing criticism for the last 37 years in this club ! and I don't give a jot.. its never stopped me for flying and having my own say. To remove your own flight of 145k was silly ! so what you flew into airspace you were not the first or will be the last to do it.

Get your flights onto the XC league to show others how its done.
Totally agree!
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

i dont think there was any back stabbing only concerns as the peaks soaring club are very sensitive of this corridor.
they get permision to move the airspace up to 4500 from 4000 however though the nxl will give up to 200 ft margin.

brians flight was 4970ft so major airbust, i submitted my flight on the NXL as i thought mine was ok, however i had hamish and walbank on imediately saying i had bust airspace 4657feet. however after over 2 months of rangling they agread that it was within limits.

before i was aware about the sencitivity i told brian i am sure it will be fine to put on are leugue, but then when i was getting phone calls i did think it should come off.

dave smarts was the same and he put it on NXL though i told him that he better take it off as he was 350ft in airspce and he did as he did not have the software that i have to check.

its unfortunate that i did not tell brian he better take it off straight away but was kind of thinking it would be ok.

but given that people from the peaks look at are flights it was the right thing to do but only violated flights.

ali has had the same problem before where he thought he has infringed so took them off once checked or not put on untill checked.

saying all the above we fly for fun and this was by anyway back stabing but being a responsible club and at the club meeting all the flights were shown mine brians ali and smarty's as airspace or not it was a fantastic flight.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

just another time i broke warcop and put the flight up on the board thinking it would be ok, even though i called warcop and explained.
miskin imediately called me to take the flight off, so that i did.

dont take it personally as we are all mates and travell and fly togeather
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Ron............Really disappointed that my Go-Pro video didn't record the flight (I thought it had but mustn't have switched on) It would have been a good one to show the clouds of the sea breeze convergence below me and a very scenic flight along the coast
These are the only photos I took when I landed
https://plus.google.com/photos/10638861 ... banner=pwa
John Wallis asked what direction I landed in - I thought it was SW but I laid my wing out parallel to the wind which was quite strong on landing (so from the photo) I think it was East to South East and I think this is the sea breeze that had taken over and put an end to my flight??
You can also see from the photo a line of clear blue sky (l.h.s) above the woods (much closer than it looks in the photo)
I think the strongish SSW - SW wind had held back the sea breeze and gave me a chance to fly this far (as well as creating a convergence line) I'll be looking out for this in future when I'm flying in the Cheviots and I imagine thats why sites like Titlington Pike & Hownam work well in a SW wind John Wallis still has the record from Titters at 37km so maybe that is one to try for the 50km flight into Scotland and get Garys £200 reward :idea:
To finish the day I managed to thumb a lift from the spot shown in the other photo back to the Black Bull Inn at Wooler where I had 20 minutes to sample the ale before being collected by Jan (beer)
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

flights

Post by chrisfozz »

How about posting these flights in the "Cheviot Challenge"-

http://fozz.dyndns-ip.com/MyTrack/Cheviot/upload.php
ron freeman
Seasoned

Chris

Post by ron freeman »

Chris ! I bet your pretty p.ssed of about that, never mind next time.

In the photo of your landing you can clearly see the converging line over the higher ground getting stuck trying to penetrate inland !

I would love to give a talk about flying convergence its amazing stuff to fly in 8)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Jesus were you following the north star brian you tracked overall 359deg and acheived an open distance of 33.55km by my reckoning, but please still send me the flight when youve got it

07824 554735
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Well done lads, that's some flying!!!

It takes a special skill set to get away from small sites let alone utilise the sea breeze convergence and all this in the Cheviots.....excellent!

Superb photo's Ron.... though they made me feel a little envious.

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Ron I'd like to hear your thoughts on convergence and sea breeze and how we can use it to fly further in the Cheviots
What about doing that at the next meeting? or combining it with your Birdman presentation?