new out and return record cross fell mike cav steve ethering

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

new out and return record cross fell mike cav steve ethering

Post by gary stenhouse »

some great flights and 8000ft base at times this has got to be a first other than in wave

http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/2013786.html?vx=0
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Crossfell

Post by ron freeman »

Excellent conditions & great flights 8) To get conditions like that are pretty rare ! it could be a long time before its that good again.

Were any NHPC members flying Xfell today ?
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Oh how I wish I was, Keeping the wheels of industry turning today whilst others play
Fantastic flights by Mike & Steve
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Taking off from Murton Pike clever lads well done them.
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

I saw the whole thing .... from below with strong binoculars. We've used Murton for a few years - told Gary it was great start hill but he loved the masts so much. Believe me getting off the hill and started was hard and it shut down after they started north.

A (loose) quote, "When you've been between 7 and 8,000 then 5000' feels like dragging your knuckles on High Cap"

Ummmmm ...... I wish, best I made that day along with others was take off height. Thursday may see an even bigger flight ..... from the Dales. :o
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

So there's no problem if any of us turn up at Murton Ed has permission been granted or is it just a kind of help yer self place.

If this caliber of pilot got permission to go through Warcop maybe they could start even further south and make it an even bigger record :)

There,s been some hellish good flights this year already plus well done for your flight from Tinto :o
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

Regarding Murton. As far as the site goes it's very user friendly with a paved car park at the bottom and a good unpaved road to the top. Do not drive this road! The walk up is fairly easy and about 20 minutes will get you to a good take off in any wind. The hill itself is large and grassy with lovely take off and landing areas by the carpark. To the south is Warcop D area which prevents access to 8k of superb ridges - some of the best along the whole range. It will happily soar and is bigger than the usual High Cap area take off but is best as a start point for the ridge. ALL pilots need to be very well aware of where the D area starts.

There are no formal permissions, but the locals seem very friendly. Were it ever to become regularly busy or large numbers appeared this may change. About 3 - 5 seems OK.

The 70k O&R is pushing the limits of the ridge .... were permission granted to transit Warcop then this extends to 90k and near the A66 to the south. It would have to be a guaranteed transit too, due to the amount of ordnance laying around. A great pity about Warcop, because the length of the Cross Fell Pennine spine makes it probably the longest major ridge line in the UK. For some reason the southern end does not get the benefits of the convergence and may sit in a slightly 'dead' zone.

Just my pennorth.
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet