Kite Surfing

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Kite Surfing

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

I'm thinking about getting into kite surfing as a high wind alternative to parawaiting and would like an idea of how much kit costs and what is needed to get started? Also would I need much tuition or is it possible to learn from books etc?
Cheers
Jim
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

paul and kay are still very active in the kite surfing, we all learnt before it was mainstreem and the kit now is so much easier and safer to learn with. mind you can do as much running about to get the right winds but when its good i would probably the best high adreniline sport i have ever done.

2 kites is the norm these days though you can get away with 1 and a twin tip board harness and wetsuit i would of thouht new would be 1000-1500 for a full set up. second hand or old stock of last years will be cheaper.

remember that once you get the buz its just another sport that makes you spend your whole time looking at the wind.

cheers Gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I learned by myself, but with a good background of kites, buggying, windsurfing and surfing. Probably best to get some instruction to get the safety systems sorted, I'm still not automatic when it needs to be!!!!!
I've got a board that would suit a beginner if you're interested. You need to be aware of certain kite bladder problems before taking the plunge as there are a few problems out there as I've found to my cost! Plenty of second hand kit around to get you started, but beware! Phil and I will give a hand as I'm sure others will.
wetsuit; £300 + if you want a good one! £50 if you want to be brave in the summer
Board; £400 or £125 for mine
Kites; 12m depends on make £200 - £1000 + 8m similar price
Lines; £250- 300
wetsuit boots £40
Miles of travel!!!!!!
Kite waiting and parabollocks,,,,plenty to talk about,
Oh, and then the costs start.
But it's loads easier than surfing and 10 times easier than windsurfing.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Cheers for that, I popped into Surfstore at Bishopton on the way back from a training course at Teeside Airport yesterday to get an idea of what they stock.
I'm intrigued about your bladder problems? I thought it was just me and Gary that had those? :lol:
Whats the problem, is it getting replacements or repairing them?I thought they had inserts you could just pull out and patch?
I'm resisting the urge to buy kit until I've had a lesson or two, but its difficult cos I'd like to crack on a bit. I'm looking for a small training kite to get some practice in too.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Steve Etherington has just hadsome lessons from Kev Anderson, try chatting to him. Try http://www.nekitesurfing.co.uk/ for details.
The bladders on certain kites on certain years, (all made in the same factory) were made from a different, non plyable material, when blown up a few times they become riddled with small holes, which are very difficult to find and even when mended more appear. Trouble is, in general they are so small that it takes 10 mins or so for the bladder to start going soft. It's difficult to get hold of bladders from previous years kites, even this years!
After losing this summer completely for 2, what were new kites, I did manage to get a replacement set from the manufacturer, but it wasn't easy!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Cheers, I'll phone Kev.
Which are the kites to avoid with the bladder problems or were you just unlucky? Also which board have you got for sale?
Cheers
Jim
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I'll pm you Jim
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

I've pm'd you Brian
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Jim Bittlestone wrote:Cheers for that, I popped into Surfstore at Bishopton on the way back from a training course at Teeside Airport yesterday to get an idea of what they stock.
I'm intrigued about your bladder problems? I thought it was just me and Gary that had those? :lol:
Whats the problem, is it getting replacements or repairing them?I thought they had inserts you could just pull out and patch?
I'm resisting the urge to buy kit until I've had a lesson or two, but its difficult cos I'd like to crack on a bit. I'm looking for a small training kite to get some practice in too.
Hi Jim,
I've got a mate in Tyne & Wear Fire Service who is an instructor, if you are still looking for someone I could put you in touch with him.
I also know someone who is getting out of the sport & is selling the lot if you would like more details.
I have been having a go myself & its great fun when you get the chance to get out.
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB