Well Its Not A Woppa .......................

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Kay
Chatty

Well Its Not A Woppa .......................

Post by Kay »

Well Its Not A Woppa .......................But I Did'nt Half Enjoy It :)

You know what a cracking day, I forgive the Volcano , I forgive EasyJet...Spain is rubbish anyway, who wants to go there when you can enjoy all that we have on our doorstep when conditions allow.

Although not organized or arranged about 9 of us arrived on Barton Fell above Ullswater in the Lakes today .

My first time at this site so it was much appreciated Tony (Bradley..extreme Power-walker extraudineir doing the hike up in a One A..Packed in the fags :[]: ) & Paul (Smith ) for their help and tips about the site..

The ambient air temperature was cold, the sun was shining the wind was WNW NW about 8mph with thermals coming through.

Take off is a nice grassy slope. ..After a easy takeoff..have actually managed to moderate the TUG on my Swift and up it came sweet as a nut.

So, off we all went, Paul disappearing UP and away pretty much immediately, Tony Jim , Paul S Dad & Myself soaring the magnificant ridge and playing with the thermals coming through..strong but friendly.

Now I'm not going to dwell on yesterday because I'm abit embarassed..Quite frankly I got a Right Huff on even tho Dave Horne bought me a double scoop 99...Paul flew much further & did'nt take Moi !I did'nt speak nicely to Him or Ringo all evening.....Poured myself a wine no beer for Paul and half biscuits for Ringo !..I know I know Cruel Bitch..Especially when it was my fault..
So here is what I have learnt over the last two days..I already knew it but impatient etc etc
DONT LEAVE LIFT DONT LEAVE LIFT DONT LEAVE LIFT & DONT LEAVE LIFT... Unless for safety or considered rational, NOT I'm Bored I,m just gonna blast it !

So back to Barton.. Jim Tony and I left in a cracker, Tony eventually peeled off to do his own route, leaving Jim and I . It was so enjoyable flying with a friend..and oh so usefull. Eventually we both crossed the M6 not finding any lift over the Shap quarries, eventually we connected again over some ploughed fields..it really does work. Back to base, by now I was absolutely freezing and my stomach muscles in a total cramp that would'nt go. To the south we had the Howgills and as I radioed to Jim some worrying Dangly Bits ! To the East CrossFell ridge and Warcop (which I had totally forgotten about). At this point at a million MPH out of the blue (grey) came a really skinny looking Ozone Swift. Jim was in a flock. Actually it was'nt a Swift it was Mike Cavenagh on a Ozone M3 or some proto type thing.
At this point I was getting nervous of the Danglies..and left the lift. Heading for sunshine and a friendly looking cumulus. And so there it was I had signed my own Descend Certificate...Nothing happened from the nice fluffy thing and I landed just South of Appleby. Jim & Mike soaring over head were grounded not to far away by Warcop ....

So, although my km's were'nt huge ...Its not the size its the quality..And that was a quality day.

Tony did a cracking XC from what looked like a low save over the reservoir @ back of Barton..Excellent Tony I thought you were a gonna there and ended up 10km further than moi.
Jim first flight of the year..Yikes someone get him some Lead Boots
Dad going into Hyper Space and then disappearing over Ullswater UP Wind!
Paul S Landing at Kerry's mums down the M6 for a cup of Tea
And all the others who had lovely flights today..Also The wires are buzzing with Brian D's Carlton to Scarbrough ! Fantastic

This is what its all about :)

Tonight..Pauls got a Beer & Ringo has his Biscuits....

Till The Next Time :twisted: :twisted:
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Go Girl Go (y) Lovely flight Kay
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Bloody great write up God I must get out soon........

>>>>Its not the size its the quality<<<<< I've been saying that for years Kay :twisted:
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

well done K :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

its not all about the distance its about the enjoyment, just last friday i flew model and only had 40 minutes of thermal glory and would say it was best flight ever at model.

a great wright up kay and very honest to why you landed early, sometimes you get to base and loose nerve and loose focus. but looking at those who have done big distance is there patience and though i try i am an impatient bugger and bool off. they say stay with lift always but then talk to some and they remember you are not a hot air ballooon and glide on to the next lift.

and how about titters today for a coastal flight?
all hale saturday
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Excellent write up Kay and superb flying by you & Jim.

For what it's worth the few times I've tried the quarries at Shap they've never worked even on cracking days like yesterday. Don't know if it's cause they're light colour or just cause it's Shap.

See you floating across Cumbria soon.
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
alan westmoreland
Chatty
Full Name: Alan westmoreland

kays right up

Post by alan westmoreland »

Yes, nice right up kay, and u had nice fly too. Also, to jim and ron and all the others that posted flights, well done its good start to the year. the sky looked good all week :x but to busy flogging me guts out to make a crust :lol:
happily flying the mosquito/wasp since 2001
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I have to say, well done to everyone on their flights today.
I didn't mean it!!!!! I haven't got distance from take off on my vario, it was pure fluke!
Carlton was a windy place, the sky was looking epic down wind and I knew if I could connect to it the flight would be good. I took off in a lull, which meant sink, I grovelled around the ridge taking what lift I could and waiting for the approaching sun. On cue the sun arrived along with one of those horrible little vario screaming thunderbolts. I hung on as long as I dared to give me about 500ft ato and just behind the ridge. I pressed forward to see my mentor grounded by the sink following the thermal. Luckily I had enough height to survive until the next cycle. This was it, the stairway, not easy to stay with or center I fought for what seemed ages to stay with the lift, the voice of JW in my ear, (if you go over the back at Model make sure you stay with whatever there is otherwise you'll end up in Chopgate) So, stick I did, passed Chopgate, above the mast. Keep with it,,,,but that cloud down there looks tasty! Off to the nest cloud, it's working but very weak, keep going with it, there's forest all over the place I must climb (B plan in place, but not needed). There's some high ground into wind with sun, head for that. (it's freeeeezing!!!!) oh yes, this is working, oh, it's working very well !!! Sh**, raggedy cloud, it's the conversion front, big ears, get down a bit and try and run along it. No that's not working, damn ground speed is down, that's the sea breeze. Oh well nothing to do but push on into it and get as far as I can. Land on a football field in Emerdale, ring the Dog, he's in Pickering chasing me in the car, pack the glider, walk to the main road and there he is spot on retrieve. Cheers John, you're a star!
Needless to say, I'm still smiling!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yep great flight but by its going to cost you in carry ups for that retreive.
lets hope tomorrow get us back to the east coast in formation as it looks ssw and that could do the trick to bamburgh from xfell
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Stunning flight Mr D! 8)

Here's hoping for more of the same and the season we all deserve.

Who knows this Icelandic ash may be a gift? :lol:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Just been looking at your flight Brian, Wonderful, well done. RonDon :P :P :P
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Just worked out that you landed next to Kirkby Thore Works sister plant at Sherburn, you got a Gypsum fetish? :lol:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Nice flight Brian
Feel the fear and do it anyway!