Memo to oneself and others

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Memo to oneself and others

Post by John Wallis »

Of course you all know what's going to happen this year! There has been such a long lay off for most pilots when the weather does break we are going to be straight into the spring thermal conditions. Big ups and big downs, big lapse rates and turbulence.....Ohh I can't wait :shock:

What's happened to all the winter easterlies and loads of coastal flying to keep us current? There's been nowt! I personally haven't flown since November 30 min's at Tailbridge most of the weekends since then have been crap or at least the ones I could get out on.

I think we are all going to have to be very very careful when we do get out flying as there will be some seriously rusty pilots out there me being one of them.

Remember spring is fantastic just be bloody careful no matter how experienced you are.

JW
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Absolutely right John.

I can guarantee that after Easter weekend the weather will be booming.

Mainly because I will be lying on "The Beach" beach in Thailand. For a fortnight.
The sacrifices some of us make to ensure you have great flying..... :D :D

And no - I will not be taking my wing. Or so I am told.....

But I have 30kg luggage allowance. And it is not that big - honest - and if Susan is not looking.......

Of to research flying sites in Thailand. 8) 8)
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

it funny as i thought the flying this year had been crap yet when i went back over my flying logs it is not so different from the last 4 exept 2007. as this was epic 44 hours by mid april so i think though it seems bad long as you put in the milage ou can still get in the hours.

cheers gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

And it is not that big - honest - and if Susan is not looking.......
Even at 4am? :lol:
Sorry folks you had to be there, just another classic moment from the Dales walkathon BCC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i must say the last few years spring has started early, and when spring is supposed to be hear it does not come then we get a bout of low low pressures in the summer that turn out to be more terifying than any spring weather i have had. saying that april is my hospital month so not the best time though it normaly has been timed with crap weather.

patience and foreign holidays is the way to go or just take up knitting.
still in five years and 2 extended layoff i have still managed to average over 90 hours per year so you can fly but you need to be 100% comitted to staying current as to not is always going to be more dangerous

cheers gary
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

I cant make it to the meeting on thursday but from the point of safety I would just like to echo what John has said at the top of the thread where are the march easterlies that we usually get, but more importantly watch out for spring it can bite!.
Also on the subject of safety I would like to discuss some of the points made in the recently released accident report of the accident at the bcc last summer. I have just read it briefly but I think we could all learn something from it
I HATE COMPUTERS
GlennP
Regular

Iron oxide(s)

Post by GlennP »

Perhaps the club should invest in one of these....

http://www.smaap.com/ingles/01Lamaquina.htm

I saw it out in Alicante on the Spanish version of dragons den.

3 axis movement of 'canopy', treadmill for launch/ landing and the arm picks up you shakes you around and dumps you just like a nasty spring thermal. It can be programmed/ operated to simulate inflight emergencies and the operatorcan check you are making the right desicions / inputs to recover successfully. It even has a funny hang glider version which I thought from the tv show was really impressive. The pilot ran along launched got lifted 4m upwards did some manouvres and then landed and had to run off the speed on the treadmill landing zone. Ace!

Could be the answer to a shitty long winter and no easterlies.
You are only as good as your last flight........