Northern Series comp

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i must say the thing with any competition freindly or not the risk goes up, due to the number of hungry pilots flying togeather. however after flying a few of the rounds in the north, that is uther than mr cleasby trying to walk us to death before we flew it was definately lower key and fun.

how to make something fun is not easy for everyone as we all have different expectations on the day.

my ideal competition is turn up through some cash in a pot and do my best to winn the cash.

the other is to have straight forward style turn point system where you have to push forward to open the gate then open distance, problem with this ou will then have wingers about been on 2-3. this has not to be an issue as it should just be about straight forward flyinng and not overcomplicating things.
above all is getting flying as soon as it is flyable and not waisting time fannying about when you could be flying
just my thoughts

cheers gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Is this the official name now Northern 54 and I take it 54 refers to our latitude.
Yes Colin, now officially 'Northern 54 Series'
54 being the latitude and nothing what so ever to do with my age! :o
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Although still in draft format, although, VERY CLOSE to final, (I hope), here is the format of the comps.
PS. Dales have asked if we can avoid the last 2 weekends of April!

Northern 54 Series.
• Every club hosts 1 round.
• Every round has a winning team.
• Team positions for each comp to be collated for the series win.
• It must be at a large site suitable for all levels of pilot.
• involves up to six clubs
• be open to all pilots who are members of the above clubs and hold CP and above
• All Clubs have a main comp contact for communication; they do not have to be their Meet Head.
• That weekend only dates be fixed in advance, but that each date/arrangement is flexible enough to allow one week slippage to avoid obviously un-flyable weather. This would not apply to such as the Dales Bash which is already fixed or any similar fixed events we may tie in with.
• Should have a non-competing meet head in the interests of safety and task/hill coordination.
• That in the interests of safety, additional site briefing and pilot development each Club should try to assign an experienced pilot or Coach to low airtime/low experience pilots for each flying day.
• From a total numbers management point of view the max per club be decided by individual clubs according to what they feel they can handle. The minimum to be four.
• Anything that improves safety or helps pilot development be subject to review and if beneficial be incorporated where possible into the following round of the series.
• All participating pilots should have their details properly recorded. A sign to fly sheet be used.
• That all gliders be certified, all equipment safe and in good order; reserve parachutes be carried.
• Full and proper site and task briefings be carried out by the Meet Head or someone fully experienced to do so.
• There are 2 tasks set, both are definite points to aim for. Where possible, retrieves are arranged beforehand. One task is easier for the lower airtime pilot (task A), one is harder, for the more experienced pilot, (task B).
• On take-off, pilots split into pairs, one experienced pilot from task B mentor for every low-airtime pilot from Task B. To be recorded on the sign to fly sheet.
• The winning team is the first to have both tasks complete is the winner. Subsequent places to be recorded for the Series Competition.
• Scoring for the Series, 1st 10 points, 2nd 8points, 3rd 6points, 4th 4points, 5th 3 points and 6th 2 points.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

If you think the bcc has gone wrong in some way then the constructive thing to do is suggest improvements. Has anyone done this from the nhpc?
Funnily enough Jim, we had thought of doing that.

When I organised the BCC team I spent a great deal of time talking and suggesting.

You really need to know the background to understand. If you want to speak to me about it, feel free. But I really dont want to post things on a public forum.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

I better whisper this ....... I think I was the culprit who requested September for the CSC. I asked around those who were most likely to be attending and the earlier months brought out clashes of dates/events/holidays. A fair number suggested September as it, had "been so good last year" .... not the best of reasons perhaps. It's also the case that it's the mellower time of year to be putting lower airtime; but by then more "flown in" pilots onto perhaps our bigger hills ..... probably with hugh walk-up's for Gary. Actually, I think September can be a bloody good month and would make for a great end of Northern 54 Series bash ... in the planning. And .............. as CSC Comps sec .... err I'm a bit busy until then.

Putting aside the tragic events of the BCC final .... it is always going to be a problem using the Long Mynd for the BCC final. Given the good weather last final it brought 40 BCC pilots alone, before the usual other 60 turned up, many of which were hungry XC hounds intent on doing their own thing. They were outside the BCC briefing .... big as it is it was always going to be busy. Equally, problems also arose during the DSC round when Eyam was used .... again it clashed with a good and very busy day. Eyam is not really suited to a BCC level comp given such conditions .... it may deliver the goods, but personally I feel it can be a bitch of a site and quite rough (I think that's often the motive to get away from it). It's not a big site .... and i think it freaked quite a few BCC pilots. Other than the final, the running of the BCC events was outside KW's control and relied on local decision making. The rules contain guidelines for the running of an event ........ not sure they were read or followed in the context of a BCC level round. The accidents chanced to happen at the final ..... it could just as easily have been a round ..... so when it comes to running the N54S then I strongly believe the order of the day is SAFETY, fun, competition. If on the fun/competition continuum you lean towards the competition side then go for the BPC or the Nationals or many of the Opens.

Public well done to Brian for leading the line on the N54S
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

so when it comes to running the N54S then I strongly believe the order of the day is SAFETY, fun, competition.
Totally agree! Easy tasks and loads of fun a beer, a meal and a piss take at the end of the day especially when we thrash the Cumbrians....Ooppps was that a competitive edge slipping in there :)
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

John Wallis wrote:
especially when we thrash the Cumbrians.... :)
Oh John you kinky bugger, you've got me excited now. Off to find my rubber all in one and get oiled up. Please tell me you'll use a birch twig on us just like Basil Fawlty on his car.......
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Off to find my rubber all in one and get oiled up.
OK so the cold weather must have delayed lambing over there in the west and Gordie is having to find new ways to keep his spring glory down! :lol:

Called in at the camp site at the bottom of XFell and they are more than happy to have us there for the comp, even at short notice. They will fit us in somewhere no matter how many turn up! Just a phone call the night before will be fine.
Campsite - pub - flying hill almost within walking distance, all we need now is the weather and a bit of enthusiasm!!!!!

Don't forget Wednesdays meeting at the Lion and Lamb 8.00pm start.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01