How to make crop circles. A beginners guide.

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

How to make crop circles. A beginners guide.

Post by AlastairW »

First find a field with ripe corn in it.

A bit difficult at this time of year? Even with global warming?

So if you have fallen at that first hurdle, get yourself down to Tailbridge instead, where you will find a bank of pristine snow, still about three feet deep, covering the whole of the front face of the ridge.

The top is clear grass, as is the landing at the bottom, and it is just the ridge itself that is covered.

Make sure you turn up on a day when the wind is a bit of the face of the hill.

This means that your down wind leg will be pretty fast, but when you turn into wind, your speed will drop to about 15k as you fly along the ridge.

You then need a responsive glider, which will be happy to fly with millimetre precision - say the new Ozone Swift for example.

Put it all together, and as you fly your into wind leg, hover over the snow bank, extend your leg downwards, and allow the toe of your boot to describe a graceful arc in the middle of the pristine snow as you fly over the top.

Remember to lift your leg before you get to the edge of the snow bank, so that the line appears on the snow WITHOUT ANY FOOTPRINTS leading to it, or other visible means of creating it.

Which is exactly what myself and Neil were doing for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.

I reckon there will be people creating models of Tailbridge from mashed potato today, and candle lit vigils there tonight.......

It was immense fun. The Swft brought a grin to my face the likes of which I have not had for a long time. It was just pure and simple fun!! No great height, absolutely no distance, but over 2 hours soaring.

I know a few members in the club have bought Swifts, or have them on order. I can understand why.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Mine Arrived Today :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Are you coming out to play Kay? :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

AlastairW wrote:Are you coming out to play Kay? :D :D
can't. Gotta work to pay for the blinking thing !

They may be good but they certainly ain't cheap
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1