Why we should support the BHPA & rating system

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Why we should support the BHPA & rating system

Post by ron freeman »

Support the BHPA & the rating system
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Got to admire his delivery, support the BHPA, or your a tw$t.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

If people do decide not to follow the BHPA and do their own thing we will probably end up being run by the CAA. The freedom we have at the moment is brilliant. If our sport did end up being run by the CAA you would have the likes of medical certs to fly, your wing would have to have an annual inspection by an approved agent/dealer, anyone caught flying without a licence would be prosecuted and possibly jailed, our flying costs would rise dramatically as anything the CAA is involved in COSTS money. It makes absolute sense to be trained and to do things properly, it also makes absolute sense to support our governing body and the rating system because if we don't it will be taken out of our hands.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

the reason why i am a fully paid up member and support there system read the article in sky wings and sure i did already post on this. why i paid over a £1000 pounds to have airspace at my fingertips as a small price to pay for the freadom we have.

though i do think that all fling should have a minimum legal requirement and not optional. this way there is no choice other than be doing it ilegaly.

but as the current system is not that then there is always going to be those who do not subscribe.

pg pilot rated
hg pilot rated
power not yet but more capeable than most and better equiped to do it safely
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

I think Ronnie is spot on here.

The BHPA is effectively our "trade union", providing the buffer between "us" as free flyers, and "them", being the powers that be. In this case the CAA.

Take for example the recent furore over transponders. Without the BHPA how would we as pilots begin to organise any sort of protest against the CAA's proposals?

But the BHPA provided us with the umbrella organisation to enable feedback to be given to the CAA.

So why not join? The only argument that has ever been raised is cost.

BHPA membership costs £84 per year. That includes your insurance.

Arrange your own insurance - it is going to cost at least £40 a year, so you are saving £30 a year over your BHPA membership.

SO for £30 a year, you are willing to risk the disintegration of the BHPA.

Even if you take the risk of having no insurance, you are saving £1.50 per week. A little more than the cost of half a pint of beer.

Seems a no brainer to me.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

my sports cover direct that covers me for flying abroad in europe is £210 per year so makes the 84 very cheep indeed and the mag is not too bad either