The Dangers of landing in water!!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Mike Brown
Regular

The Dangers of landing in water!!

Post by Mike Brown »

Just shows how difficult it can be to get out of shallow water even with help and why you should carry a bridle knife when flying the coast!!
Cheers
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrtdIKqMuw
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Sod me gear i think i would have been trying to get my harness off at the first oportunity even once i was out of the water
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
GlennP
Regular

Water

Post by GlennP »

Brilliant video!

A lesson of how not to do it!

Also WTF was that guy doing stood there with his hands in his pockets not even helping. A bloody ghoul watching someone in trouble.

Why did no one remove the guy from the sea once his glider lines had been cut? They were still being battered by the swell and getting more and more cold. The cold kills your ability to think and function. Also they guy seemed to make no attempt to release himself from his harness. WTF?

A guy did exactly this a few years back and sadly did not live to tell the tale.

See. http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... 011-07.pdf

or search aaib and airwave sport.

If you ever have the misfortune to water land you MUST remove your gloves before you go into the sea. You cannot release buckles with wet gloves on. Then release chest strap and loosen legs.

Forget your kit! It's gone! Get to shore quickly and call for help.

A new glider or harness is no good to you if you are dead!
You are only as good as your last flight........
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

I think there's been a bit of a struggle before the vid starts and he's nearly finished by the time filming and help arrives, he may not have had an ounce of strength left.

Never mind remove gloves, unbuckle completely and jump out before you hit the water so you are clear of the wing, see the lines round his legs.? A flowing river is just as dangerous as waves.

All well and good sitting here with a coffee, having the piece of mind to do that is another thing. Very luckie lad, not sure where hes going at the end but I would be have been kissing the guys who saved my life.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
GlennP
Regular

Water

Post by GlennP »

It's very difficult to determine height above water especially if the sea is calm as there are no shadows, or objects of a determinate size to use as guidance.

You could be jumping out 100ft up and killing yourself that way.

Regardless of whether the bloke was tiring he did not appear to try and unbuckle his harness. The harness full of air and foam floats and forces the pilot face down into the water.

I wasn't there so I can only say what I saw but the guy was in trouble still after the rescuer arrived with no one removing the harness and him taking sh@t loads of water in the face.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

?

Post by ron freeman »

How can someone just stand there and video the whole emergancy... was he waiting for the chap to die !!! the camera should be stuck up where the sun don't shine.

I wonder how many have watched this video and still fly over water without a web cutter :roll:

If you do find yourself in a situation having to landing water (lake or sea)
preparation is the key to survival (easer said than done)

Gloves off first !!!

If you are a confident strong swimmer don't land in the swell or breaking water best to land futher out from the shore (smoother entry into water)

Be very careful when opening the buckles on your harness (chest first) it can very hard to judge your height when flying over water.

Don't jump out to early the wing may come down on top of you causing big problems.

Brake hard just before you enter the water (so the wing does fall back) because if you don't the drag from your entry will pull you back then the wing will overtake you and come down on top of you (very bad) !!!

Your bridal knife should be attached to one of your risers for easy access
in case you are tangled up.

Forget the wing and swim ashore then try to call the coast guard !

Try to land to land down wind and don't brake thus making sure you don't get tangled in the lines... also the wing may stay inflated and blow to the shore line if lucky ?

Best tip of all... never put yourself in a situation where this can happen always have a 'B' plan.
Last edited by ron freeman on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
GlennP
Regular

Camera

Post by GlennP »

Sometimes cameramen get caught up in the moment and forget that somone I'd in danger. However I would always put life before footage and this guy was clearly in the doo doo.

I was just stunned by the guy stood 4 feet away with hid hands in his pockets gawping.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

how can anyone be daft enough to land in water in the first place :D :D :D
I HATE COMPUTERS
GlennP
Regular

Watr

Post by GlennP »

And be caught on camera........
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

The thing is lines and water doesn’t mix; I once had to rescue a mate kite surfing at Allenby. When his kit dropped he decided to try and pull in his lines to retrieve his kite as the tide was pulling him out. Not a problem you would think and I realised he seemed to be getting further out I went out after him. When I got there somehow his lines were completely tangled round his legs to the point he could not move them. Luckily I was able to use the power of my kite and drag him and his kite into the bay where his brother swam out to help once he was close in. however if this had been in dumping shore break it would of been a different story.

As for landing in water the next time you are out flying try and undo your buckles while in flight. And even if you try hard you will be lucky to do so as the pressure pulling them apart is quite high.

But like Ron say if you are out of options then fly beyond the breakwater as it might be further out but a lot easier to cope with getting free

the other from experience of foil kite go in downwind this way the glider will over shoot and stay inflated keeping you away from the lines and more chance of getting free.

The best advice is never put yourself in the situation to start with unless on siv

Cheers Gary