Did you measure up in 2009

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Did you measure up in 2009

Post by John Wallis »

Some people did and some of the predictions were spot on and the year's not finished yet.

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/viewtopic.p ... 8+trophies
Last edited by John Wallis on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Colin Keightley wrote:To fly outside of ridge lift and get to cloudbase
well mine came true on the 20th of September
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well i have come close to most of my goals like flying safely, only 1 operation 6 weeks in plaster and a big scar. 31.5 k on a pg but over 130 on 6 flights . winter xc on hg but fell short due to injury to carry on.

what a year it has been one of the worstand best years but more than anything my most enjoyable flying ive had so far.

now i am no longer in a hurry i know the tortus will catch the hair. all i need now is patience and a bit more tenacity to fly further and longer.

some good weekends away in convoy in the white van brigade and show the country the spirit of the geordy's

cheers gary
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Curate's egg for me I think - good in parts.

* Altitude - haven't improved on that :(
* Fear of going over the back, well yes I have a few times, and not just in Spain :)
* Bit more adventure, yes definitely done more interesting things and landed out more - even when I didn't intend to :twisted:
* Get better at thermalling, well I have spent a bit more time in thermals, but after the wretched weather in 2008, who hasn't?
* Understand clouds, convergence... I spent more time in both than ever before and it's great, can't say I understand 'em much more though :D
* XC? Yes!! I LOVE it. Done my longest ever anywhere - and in this country - and the OAP bus pass has been proffered quite often (the 555 driver Grasmere-Keswick knows me by name now) Bring it on :twisted: :twisted:
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
GlennP
Regular

Predictions

Post by GlennP »

Well I didn't t achieve my goals god damit.y top to bottoms have gone to pot. I keep staying up and landing somewhere else!

I never predicted that I do the marske to staithes run never mind there and back in my first season. Nor did I expect to get over the back and xc. Hey even 5km open distance counts. I didn't think I d have over 30 different sites in the logbook either.

The mostimportant thing though was I d never imagined how nice the people of nhpc were and that as a low airtimer how quickly I would feel a part of the club.

Goals for next year..........fly more, fly safe and have more fun.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

A very interesting post john, one which i didnt take part in or get a mention last year as i was on a 4 month winter layoff, almost forgotten about. This obviously knocked me back a bit, so i felt ive been playing catch up since. My target for 2009 was to 1. Fly safe making good decisions. 2. Get a decent xc in before 1 year post cp. 3. Fly some lakes sites where ive walked and climbed before. 4 have fun
One thing ive learnt is that a lot can happen in a year and this whole league thing does not represent reality, (apart from the top 2 in my opinion). I have been blessed with a year to remember for sure, but i know that many have been less fortunate. Whether it be family, injury, work or weather, i hope all have a better year, cos i know for some its been horrible.
Id much rather be 15th in the knowledge that those that wanted to could do give their all, than wherever i end up cos folk could not.
Having said that, i am where i am, and im loving the crack with gary and others as the season end draws near. I managed the crimdon to dawdon run, marske to whitby, carlton to hasty bank, 5th in the club comp, a couple of xcs into weardale and if not for a full bladder clough head to ambleside. A full portfolio for year 1 and with over 130km open distance.
I know ill not be as lucky next year and ill find it hard to improve, there are plateaus in every sport and i reckon ive reached my own inversion. We shall see. If i can repeat next year ill be happy, but i cant stop dreaming that 50k just could be on? Or am i dreaming?
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Well managed a good diversity of flying this year - I wanted to do more 'adventure' flying which I think I've achieved.
Got to do an SIV in May and pulled off a SAT as well as learning Stalls and how to survive the many crevats this created !!
2 weeks flying in France in some fantastic locations, including flying Chamonix something I've wanted to do since I started.
Flew the Verdon, Mens, Laragne & Annecy in big booming thermals.
Flew some nice XC's from the Chabre.
Got more tuned into speedflying making me want a smaller faster wing
Did some nice tandems with some very nice people.
Frustrated by UK XC flying as normal. Can't get out early enough when its good - to busy at work and going to the wrong sites on the right days :x
Need a hobby job, retirement or my own business to do well on the XC league :idea:
More hiking and speed flying as the Autumn and Winter rolls on :)
Feel the fear and do it anyway!